PDA

View Full Version : Forge Splitter DV/BOV

TheEugeneKam
11-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey im thinking of getting forge splitter in a week or so and just would like some recommendations. Forge say that they designed it especially for the 1.8t VAG cars. Im just wondering if anyone has experience or heard anything about this. I really love the "whooosh". I never got around to getting one on my subaru and this is perfect time for it one. Anything else you guys can recommend that would do the job in the 1.8T that has been proven not to cause problems?[wrench]

Dan[FN]6262
11-11-2010, 09:16 AM
forge 004

walky_talky20
11-11-2010, 09:34 AM
My brother has a forge splitter. He got it used with a broken spring for $75 as I recall. Got a rebuild kit (pretty cheap) and he loves it. Enough woosh to enjoy with the windows down, and quiet enough to ignore with the windows up.

The only problem had to do with the N249 solenoid (2000+ cars only). That is used to control the factory DV. It keeps the DV open (using the vacuum reservoir) during part-throttle, out-of-boost situations. This keeps the turbo rpms up, so the boost comes on more quickly when a request is made. Works fine with a DV, but plays havoc with the splitter valve. His fuel trims changed by more than 5% and the car ran rich at part throttle. We bypassed the N249 (a popular mod regardless of what DV you run, connects the DV direct to the manifold), and it works perfectly now.

TheEugeneKam
11-11-2010, 10:11 AM
004 seems pretty quite in comparison to forge splitter from what i heard. And mine is 98 so i don't think n249 would be a problem in my case. Walky, how long did he have it for and did it cause any other issues so far?

biketsai
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Sorry to slightly derail the thread but do yalll think me running a DV venting to the atmosphere on my mafless/tipless setup will cause a slow spool?

Polski
11-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Theeugenekam,

You will be running rich, burning more fuel in other terms.
It all comes down to sound vs performance.
If you want sound, go for the splitter.
If you want performance, go for a forge 007 or 004 like other suiggested, i'm not sure of your mods

habiscusa4
11-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I run it on my 99.5 i love it no problems
At all louf enough to sound fast but quiet enough to not be annoying
A+
My brother has a forge splitter. He got it used with a broken spring for $75 as I recall. Got a rebuild kit (pretty cheap) and he loves it. Enough woosh to enjoy with the windows down, and quiet enough to ignore with the windows up.

The only problem had to do with the N249 solenoid (2000+ cars only). That is used to control the factory DV. It keeps the DV open (using the vacuum reservoir) during part-throttle, out-of-boost situations. This keeps the turbo rpms up, so the boost comes on more quickly when a request is made. Works fine with a DV, but plays havoc with the splitter valve. His fuel trims changed by more than 5% and the car ran rich at part throttle. We bypassed the N249 (a popular mod regardless of what DV you run, connects the DV direct to the manifold), and it works perfectly now.

yuriy
11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I have the splitter on now, my previous was a 007. There is no niticeble difference whatsoever in performance and it causes absolutely no problems. Recently my spring inside broke because i forgot to adjust it after i got my car chipped but forge sent me a new one for free, so theyre really good on customer service. Get it, its a good dv.

GeneKam
11-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks, i will go with the splitter :D. I am not to concerned about the noise, i usually have my music blasting anyway. Besides i have no resonator as mine had 90 degree bends so im running just a pipe from cat to my magnaflo muffler. I can take noise :P. My car is plenty fast for me so i will be okay with loosing 2-3 hp if anything. Thanks a lot for the help guys. I will try to post a vid as soon as i have it done :D

fbdohc
11-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Hey walky, do you have any vacuum plan of what you are talking about ?

walky_talky20
11-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Yep. Here you go: OEM vs. the bypass. Note: bypass for SAI valve is also shown.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/4969298468_5b652cc222.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/4968690103_002a2de935.jpg