PDA

View Full Version : Does bw K04 drink gas like alcohol?

karmad
11-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey there people,

i just installed a bw K04 into a 2000 a4 1.8t ATW tip, with stock injectors, stock tip, hyperboost dv, NGK brk6e @ .28, k03 apr chip, awe boost gauge, labree hfc, labree dp,and apr 2.5 catback. Everything went smooth except for one bolt on engine side where more washers were used due to the fact of not being able to get ratchet around bolt.

Coolant was flushed but temp sensor was not changed, oil was replaced with motul.

After install mech thought he could take it for rip without break-in and he put car into limp-mode. I got home vagged and took it out of limp mode. I was then boosting @ 18psi spiking @ 21psi or so. But damn does it drink gas like a mofo, i went through a tank in 2days and this is granny semi boosting driving as i was breaking turbo in, i can hear the spooling of turbo really loud. I then re-vagged car and got code:

16806 - po422 - Main Catalyst,Bank1 Below Threshold

I erased and it hasnt come back yet but i did the research but everything says replace cat but cat is not that old. and never had this code or burning of gas with old k03 just burning of oil when idle for too long.

I then did readiness test and failed on cat and after cat o2 sensor, now would that be because of HFC and o2 without non-foulers? and would o2 sensor after cat cause gas burn-age?

Wat would cause me to burn soo much gas?

would a boost leak still boost normal but cause me to burn so much gas?

would a k04 blow a o2 sensor that was working normally b4?

Please someone lead me, i dont have mech appointment till next week and gas is already high with 94oct

walky_talky20
11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
First, you need a solid MPG number before you can start in on the fuel mileage problem. Don't go by the dash either. Fill the tank, reset the trip, and calculate the MPG over 1 full tank manually. Whenever people give me fuel mileage complaints, the first thing I ask is "what is your mileage". If they cannot answer it exactly, I tell them they are not allowed to complain until they give me an actual number.

For the cat code, what is your o2 sensor setup? How many anti-foulers, are they drilled out, etc? High flow cats are known to cause cat efficiency codes because they simply don't do as much work as an OEM cat. Spacers usually do the trick, though.

Also, I'd keep an eye on your fuel trims and timing retard on this K04. You may need to use a manual boost controller to back down the boost if you plan on running the a K03 93 file. The file won't have enough fueling for a K04 at the same boost levels. It would be adviseable to get a K04 chip tune. That will likely help with your fuel mileage as well, because your ECU won't be running so far off the map (it wont be maxing out the fuel trims).

karmad
11-08-2010, 09:12 PM
For the cat code, what is your o2 sensor setup? How many anti-foulers, are they drilled out, etc? High flow cats are known to cause cat efficiency codes because they simply don't do as much work as an OEM cat. Spacers usually do the trick, though.

Im not using no foulers, i had this setup with k03 and worked like a charm when i put k04 on then code popped up. Should i have foulers?

walky_talky20
11-08-2010, 09:17 PM
This code popping up now probably has more to do with your AFR's being out of whack because of the improper tune for the K04. The car is running lean, and the ECU is having to trim the mixture richer and richer. All of this is playing havoc with your O2 sensors.

That said, one anti-fouler will probably take care of it. But a proper tune may do it as well.

onemoremile
11-08-2010, 11:26 PM
I've had a K04 for 6 years and regularly get 27-30 on long 75 mph freeway cruises and 30-35 mpg for long casual 55-60 mph drives. For a 20 minute session on the road course it averages about 6-6.5 mpg.

karmad
11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
This code popping up now probably has more to do with your AFR's being out of whack because of the improper tune for the K04. The car is running lean, and the ECU is having to trim the mixture richer and richer. All of this is playing havoc with your O2 sensors.

That said, one anti-fouler will probably take care of it. But a proper tune may do it as well.

Do i need 2 foulers or just one for rear

99blueb5
11-09-2010, 09:31 AM
its your lead foot getting into the boost, when i was running a pc-16 file the worst tank i got was 250miles on a tank and that was 90% hard city driving

1NaudiA4
11-09-2010, 10:21 AM
FYI your mechanic was right.... turbo's don't have a break in period. Once they have oil, rip away

walky_talky20
11-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Do i need 2 foulers or just one for rear

You only ever put the spacers on the rear sensor. ONLY EVER. Start with 1. If the code comes back, put on a second one. With any type of cat, 1 spacer ought to do it. It's the test pipe guys that need to stack them and use j-bungs and all that crap.

Ketamine1
11-10-2010, 01:00 PM
You don't break a turbo in. The K04 spins up around 160-170 thousand RPM. It is perfectly machined and balanced from the factory. Put it in and let rip.