PDA

View Full Version : B5 A4 tiptronic

gigglemcwiggle
11-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I just got a 01 a4 with tiptronic and I was wondering if anybody else with a tip could tell me of any problems they may have had or what I should look forward to? maybe throw some benifits in there to make me feel better [:D]

biketsai
11-08-2010, 08:07 AM
You need to be more specific.

gigglemcwiggle
11-08-2010, 08:22 AM
its an 01 a4 1.8t with 104k miles and I was told by multiple people not to use tiptronic because it will ruin my transmission and I was wondering why because I want to use tip but I dont want to kill my transmission

biketsai
11-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Those people told you wrong. Using the tiptronic is no different on the transmission that the TCU doing the shifting. Shift happy my friend

gigglemcwiggle
11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Thank you that makes me feel better

ZimbutheMonkey
11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Although I've never actually seen evidence of this hurting a transmission I was told by the manager of the trans shop I bought my valve body rebuild components that hard downshifting in order to engine brake can put some wear on the trans.

That said, I drove 20,000 mi on my auto pretty much exclusively in tip mode with no ill effect. The point he was making is that if you shift down hard, the clutch packs in the trans body have to absorb the energy of the vehicle's deceleration. This makes sense right, basic physics says that the inertia of the vehicle must be transformed to heat somewhere.

What he said to do is to blip the throttle during the downshift. At least this way you're not shocking the clutch packs this way. Think of how long your brake pads would last if you hammered on them hard and then backed off to slow down vs applying a gradual steady pressure.

Long story short, it probably won't significantly shorten the lifespan of your trans, however if you can get into the habit of helping your trans out a little I'm sure you can't loose. The other thing that you should really do is drop the trans pan, change out the fluid in the pan and the filter. Don't get it flushed to get all the old fluid out. Just run it for a bit and then change the pan fluid again. This will get about 75% of the old fluid out.

Clewe
11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Well my 01 tip's tranny had to get a rebuild because of the slipping/clunking. And it cost my wallet 4,300$ so I guess you might be looking forward to that, depending on how well your previous owner took care of it, I know my previous owner neglected the fudge out of mine unfortunately..

teleTay
11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
some what related question about a tiptronic transmission in my 2000 A4 2.8 Avant.

sometimes my first gear whines at about 5250rpms to redline? i have read around a little but never got a solid answer.

anyone else have an answer or a similar problem?

the only time i use tip to slow me down is on my way down the canyon so i dont have to ride the brakes (obviously)

Clewe
11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
some what related question about a tiptronic transmission in my 2000 A4 2.8 Avant.

sometimes my first gear whines at about 5250rpms to redline? i have read around a little but never got a solid answer.

anyone else have an answer or a similar problem?

the only time i use tip to slow me down is on my way down the canyon so i dont have to ride the brakes (obviously)

From what I've heard that's the worst thing you could use the tip for... but what do I know lol.

walky_talky20
11-08-2010, 08:50 PM
The main thing you need to know is change the fluid. Every 60k is the usual interval. More often if you are harder on it. The recommended fluid is Pentosin ATF1, but it is expensive. About $15 a liter. A change (drain/refill) takes about 4 liters. Full capacity is like 9 or 10 liters.

Using tiptronic is fine, that is what is was made for. Actually, when using tiptronic it is *easier* on the transmission. Especially when driving aggressively, because the trans isn't trying to do a hard downshift whenever you mat the gas pedal. You choose a gear first, then mat the pedal. No drama and much nicer on the tranny.

Downshifting in TIP to slow down isn't a good thing to do all the time, it does wear the clutches. Probably about the same as a full throttle upshift, though. So not horrible, just unnecessary wear. Use your brakes to slow the car, they are much cheaper than a tranny. And "blipping the throttle" during the downshift isn't going to help anything.

Engine braking, on the other hand is fine. If you've chosen 3rd gear and descend a hill in that gear, using the engine to slow the car, that's fine. It is the act of downshifting *while* in decel that you want to avoid. During the shift is when the damage happens, so you want to minimize the load on the trans during that time, whether the load is accel or decel.

For example: You are going down a hill in your Audi. You are in TIP mode, 4th gear is chosen, feet are off the pedals. Halfway down the hill in 4th gear, the revs are at 3,000 and climbing quickly, and you *slam* it into 3rd while under full decel load. That's bad news.

Better choice: You are halfway down the hill, in TIP, 4th gear is chosen, feet off the pedals. Car is gaining speed quickly. You want to choose 3rd for the descent, so you don't have to ride the brakes all the way down. You FIRST use your brakes to slow the engine and car to about 1,000 rpms in 4th gear, THEN downshift to 3rd gear WHILE still on the brake pedal. Release the brake and continue your descent in 3rd gear. That takes the decel load off the drivetrain during the downshift. Once 3rd gear is chosen, the torque converter locks up and no wear is happening in the trans even at max decel load for the rest of the descent. In the best case, you want to choose your descent gear before the hill begins. In general, shifting during a hill descent OR climb isn't best.

gigglemcwiggle
11-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Well my 01 tip's tranny had to get a rebuild because of the slipping/clunking. And it cost my wallet 4,300$ so I guess you might be looking forward to that, depending on how well your previous owner took care of it, I know my previous owner neglected the fudge out of mine unfortunately..

If that were to happen, do you think it would cost more to get a rebuild or do a 5-speed swap?

teleTay
11-09-2010, 09:33 AM
From what I've heard that's the worst thing you could use the tip for... but what do I know lol.

well engine braking doesnt seem like a huge issue.

but the gear only whine probably 1/3 of the time. second might wine out at the top of the gear but its alot harder to notice

99blueb5
11-09-2010, 09:38 AM
If that were to happen, do you think it would cost more to get a rebuild or do a 5-speed swap?

5 speed swap is very involved, and i highly doubt your going to need a rebuild, those trannys are bulit pretty strong, it depends if you would do the rebuild and of you would do the swap, the swap would be more time down and "could" be more money than a rebuld, if you dont like the auto get another a4, there is a couple for sale out there

ZimbutheMonkey
11-09-2010, 10:10 AM
If the cost is $4000 for a rebuild, it's pretty close. You can get all the requisite parts for under $2000 (including a single mass conversion from ECS). Then, if your shop bills out 20 hours at $100 per hour you're pretty much where you would have been with the automatic rebuild.

pattshreds
11-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Although I've never actually seen evidence of this hurting a transmission I was told by the manager of the trans shop I bought my valve body rebuild components that hard downshifting in order to engine brake can put some wear on the trans.

That said, I drove 20,000 mi on my auto pretty much exclusively in tip mode with no ill effect. The point he was making is that if you shift down hard, the clutch packs in the trans body have to absorb the energy of the vehicle's deceleration. This makes sense right, basic physics says that the inertia of the vehicle must be transformed to heat somewhere.

What he said to do is to blip the throttle during the downshift. At least this way you're not shocking the clutch packs this way. Think of how long your brake pads would last if you hammered on them hard and then backed off to slow down vs applying a gradual steady pressure.

Long story short, it probably won't significantly shorten the lifespan of your trans, however if you can get into the habit of helping your trans out a little I'm sure you can't loose. The other thing that you should really do is drop the trans pan, change out the fluid in the pan and the filter. Don't get it flushed to get all the old fluid out. Just run it for a bit and then change the pan fluid again. This will get about 75% of the old fluid out.

what do you mean blip the throttle? give more throttle on downshift like an actual standard? i usually just brake and downshift at 1500 rpms so itll shoot up to around 2k rpm. is that a bad technique?

BlazinB5
05-17-2013, 10:27 AM
so whats it actually cost to have a tiptronic rebuilt? im actually looking into getting a tiptronic b5 for my girlfriend