PDA

View Full Version : one long night... help!

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 12:46 AM
98 a4 1.8T Quattro Manual---ok so i know this has been beat to death and i tried searching but at 1:40 in the morning and a million threads regarding the abs sensor, im a little fried heres the deal... just changed all 8 front control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links, high pressure power steering line, both front axles, and brake line on the front driver side. (bled the brakes on the front driver side only) After a quick test drive down the street, i noticed my abs engages every time i brake. after about a half mile or so and a couple times braking, my brake light begins to flash and my abs light come on with it but stays on. As soon as the lights come on, my brakes works fine with no abs engaging. Someone please tell me what i did? something with the axles? something with the brake line?[headbang][=(]

Dynamite
11-08-2010, 01:15 AM
wow that is odd, did something odd happen to the wiring for the ABS sensors, plunged them in backward or something? Does the ABS not work at all anymore?
Sorry im not much help, but its 10pm here so there ant gona be many people on for about 6 hours.

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Haha I know its a shitty time to need help lol but no nothing seemed to happen to any wiring I mean I had it unclipped but as far as I know nothing happened! Nothing was even un plugged the abs does work. everytime I turn my car off and back on the lights stay on then after a min go away then when I drive again everytime I brake my abs kicks in again untill the lights come back on then the abs quits kicking in... I'm assuming when the light comes on its sending a signal to the abs to quit working

hiwords1
11-08-2010, 02:46 AM
does it engage at any speed or only at low speeds? usually when it happens at low speeds, 20mph-, it's the tone ring. take out your ABS fuse and see what happens. i've seen a 01 1.8t not start after the fuse was pulled so don't be surprised by that. also with the fuse pulled, you won't have cruise control or EPS.

JWatson
11-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Have you gotten the alignment done yet? Mine was off enough that it turned on the ABS and ESP lights after I replaced control arms.

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 06:44 AM
I did not get into any high speeds as I did not have an alignment yet and I know its off quite a bit! jwatson that also answers your question and that makes me feel a lot better thanks for the advice ill let you know what happens after I get it alligned this morning

T0mat3
11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
If you take out the fuse, it just wont work, better having one that doesnt turn on at all then one thats on all the time.

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Sounds good I'm getting an allignment as we speak. It I don't even think pulling the fuse is necessary because as soon as the light comes on my abs no longer kicks in

ZimbutheMonkey
11-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Did you get any debris in front of the ABS sensor? I'm wondering if you have interference that's causing the ABS sensor to freak out?

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 10:38 AM
abs problem is the front right according to vag com i am about to go out and take a look at the sensor and clean it to see if i got anything in it or something along those lines. i do have another problem now... when i turn my car left and right while at a stand still, the opposite side of the car (according to the way i turn the wheel) rises. as i turn back and forth my car tilts up and down from side to side please help i need to get back on the road asap

wildbill
11-08-2010, 12:12 PM
abs problem is the front right according to vag com i am about to go out and take a look at the sensor and clean it to see if i got anything in it or something along those lines. i do have another problem now... when i turn my car left and right while at a stand still, the opposite side of the car (according to the way i turn the wheel) rises. as i turn back and forth my car tilts up and down from side to side please help i need to get back on the road asap
x2 here....that sensor did it to me just like you said

99blueb5
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
you need to reblead the brakes, and of the code is just for the one front side then its prob bent or something with the speed ring in the axle itself

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Sensor was a hair out just had to push it in and I'm good haha the other problem is I put my tie rod ends upside down :( hopefully didn't wear anything out

VMRWheels
11-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Sensor was a hair out just had to push it in and I'm good haha the other problem is I put my tie rod ends upside down :( hopefully didn't wear anything out

Wow, that must have been a relief! Glad you got everything sorted out, nothing worse than finishing a days worth of work only to encounter problems.

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Got everything worked out with the help of hardey at hardeys motorworks in Parker really great dude! Finally have a car that is fun to drive again and not clunky!

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Wow, that must have been a relief! Glad you got everything sorted out, nothing worse than finishing a days worth of work only to encounter problems.

A day!? Haha I wish more like 5 hours or so the first night then like 7 hours the next then a full day trying to work out my problems haha

frameshift18
11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I dream of a clunk-less Audi lol. Great to hear everything turned out okay.

ThatA4T
11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
haha i know how you feel but its pricey i spent about 1500 in the past week or two

Dynamite
11-08-2010, 08:47 PM
glad to hear it got all sorted out