PDA

View Full Version : Wiring driving lights

Ghostrider
11-06-2010, 03:15 PM
All right, I am about to buy a set of Hella 500's and mount them on the grille of the A4. Even though the Ultrastars are doing their thing, I still need more light- had two close calls last Monday night with Bambi-nothing beats living in the whitetail hunting capital of the US of A.

Prior to purchasing, I went on Hella's website, and reviewed the installation instructions, and I noticed two options, one being wired into the light circuit, and the other by the independent switch provided.

Now, here are my questions.

1- Can the B5 headlight switch handle this? I recently replaced mine for the second time in about two years. I have done the modification where the factory fogs stay on with the high beams. I really do not want to have the switch crap out on me, and leave me with no headlights/driving lights. Then again if it is wired into the parking lights, this may not happen, no?
2- If I tap into the parking light wiring, will the lights stay on when headlights are on, and high beams?
3- Or, should I tap into the headlight wiring instead? I am thinking low beam.

Finally, anyone use the OSRAM bulbs that ECS offers?

walky_talky20
11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Personally, I wouldn't add *anything* to the light circuits, parking, low, or high. The switches fail plenty often all by themselves. I believe the cause is that the full current of the headlamps goes through that crappy switch. Other manufacturers use relays for the low and high beam headlamps, meaning much less current demand on the switch.

I would recommend you run your Hella lights by adding your own relay. Then trigger the relay however you like: low beams, high beams, fogs, etc. You can have a separate switch and have them cancel with high beams if you like. It is really whatever you want. Anything is possible.

Ghostrider
11-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Ok, I am about to wire the lights- I am looking at the diagram- fairly straightforward, BUT what is that rectangle on the diagram between the relay and the battery? Look at Hella.com, 500 ff. It looks like a European postal box.

somebody5788
11-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Ok, I am about to wire the lights- I am looking at the diagram- fairly straightforward, BUT what is that rectangle on the diagram between the relay and the battery? Look at Hella.com, 500 ff. It looks like a European postal box.

May I recommend going 1 piece lights with 55w HID's? If you buy some used S4 lights with OEM ballasts (preferably a blown ballast!) you could put the brighter hid's in and then put a euro headlight adjuster switch inside. When on the country roads full of dear you can adjust the headlights way up so you can see for the next 1/2 - 3/4 a mile in front of you lol. I mean the Hella's are cheaper but the 1 piece headlights truly are amazing.