PDA

View Full Version : ECS timing belt kit anygood?

ricekikr
11-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I was checking the timing belt kit ECS offers and wasn't to thrilled with the brands included. (AEB engine)

I did my own kit, with the brands I liked it came out $60 more.

My question is, has anybody tried the ECS kit? I'm specially worried with the tensioner (brand not stated), timing belt itself (Ruville) and water pump (graf)

jturnbull
11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Just installed this on my car. Parts are all of OEM quality with the metal impeller water pump.

99blueb5
11-03-2010, 08:35 PM
have installed a total of 6 ecs timing belt kits, all a success and have been for over 40k, the brands are actually top notch, theres only a couple parts that could be one step up, but that wont affect anything, blau parts.com also has a huge kit with a couple more seals and gaskets for around the same price, if you do piece it together you will always be paying more compared to a pre-made kit

walky_talky20
11-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Personally, I'm a little uneasy about the GRAF pumps. They look like great quality, but my brother installed one on his ATW (AEB-style water pump), and it leaked slowly after a while. He replaced it with a HEPU pump. I have been very pleased with that brand. Never seen a problem or failure yet.

For a t-belt, the only belt I'd use is Continental (Conti-tech). For the hydraulic tensioner, NTN brand, but I don't think that particular part is available from any other manufacturer. It might be resold in a different box, but every tensioner I've ever seen has been made my NTN. For the idlers and rollers, I haven't seen any bad ones, really. Most that I've seen uses a japanese NTN bearing, which I like.

The belt is the most common failure, so make sure you get one you trust. Behind that is the hydraulic tensioner. I have yet to see a belt failure caused by one of the rollers.

ricekikr
11-04-2010, 02:46 AM
I'm now more confused lol. But yeah, I wanted to get a contitech timing belt and Febi tensioner, which ECS doesn't offer as part of a kit.

ricekikr
11-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Where's the best place to buy?

EDIT:

Anyone order from ebay? I saw one seller: Continental belts (including 3 other belts), NTN tensioner, Graf water pump, cam/crank seal. 12pieces total

$230 shipped. Seller has 100% feedback

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-A4-PASSAT-1-8T-TIMING-BELT-KIT-COMPLETE-NEW-1-8-T-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d280b4dd5QQitemZ40010 3787989QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

brockallentaylo
11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I second the Continental belts, I have used many of them always with good results. I dig their tires too but only for luxury cars (super quiet).