PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take

Clewe
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Okay so I put my car in the shop 2 weeks ago because my tranny was fried, They told me they'd have it all done by the following wednesday, I called last wednesday and they told me, Friday. I call in on Friday and they say it will have to be Monday morning.. I call monday morning, they said Tuesday at noon worst case scenario. I call on Tuesday and they said Wednesday (today) at 12 PM at the latest. I call in today at 12 and they said they're still not done, but they just need to install the transmission.

I was just wondering realistically, how long could it possibly take to install a transmission on an Audi b5 1.8t? Because these supposed professionals are saying it's going to take longer than 6 hours, if not then longer. Does this sound about accurate, or are these guys shady f*cks?

Sorry this is kind of just a rant but they've been toying me around for the past couple weeks and I just want my f**king car back.

guy022077
11-03-2010, 01:30 PM
did they actually start it yet? i cant imagine it taking more than 10 hours if you are good and fast. but at a shop i would think 2 days if they had all the parts and someone was working on it their entire time.

Is anyone working on your car? have you been by to see the delay? maybe they dont think you can handle being told 3 weeks so they lie day by day. i would not be concerned i would go get answers, just get a ride over there and be calm about it and ask "if their was a problem with the car or how is the install going?"

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-03-2010, 01:34 PM
If you can, stop out and see them. Ask them what the delay was and then ask them to show you if you have any doubt. Perhaps they just didn't have the parts they needed, but they should have told you this if it were the case.

Clewe
11-03-2010, 01:37 PM
They said they had been done rebuilding it yesterday, and they got on installing it this morning and that they (should be done) by 5 today. Yeah could be true, but trust me I'd way rather be get told a date and get it on that date instead of playing this reindeer games, come on really. You really think it could take up to 2 days to put the transmission back into my car?

Clewe
11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
If you can, stop out and see them. Ask them what the delay was and then ask them to show you if you have any doubt. Perhaps they just didn't have the parts they needed, but they should have told you this if it were the case.

Yeah, well last week on Thursday when I called they were like well the reason it hadn't been done it because they didn't have all the parts yet and they just got all of them that morning, so I was understanding about that. But they've had all the parts necessary since last Thursday morning and they told me from there it wouldn't take longer then Monday (worst case scenario) now it's just turning into this, so yeah I'm probably going to go in there and check it out. I mean really if I have to look up a DIY on how to put in a transmission back into my car I'll print that shit out and go there and tell them I'll just do it myself if it's going to take this long.

ThatA4T
11-03-2010, 01:49 PM
shoulda just started there haha im looking for a used tranny now for a good price

Clewe
11-03-2010, 01:55 PM
shoulda just started there haha im looking for a used tranny now for a good price

You're damn straight about that, if only there were such things as time machines. I could've just bought a rebuilt one for like 2grand tops and installed it myself. Instead I'm 4,300$ into it and I'm paying them labor for them to be sitting there picking their ass for 2 weeks, while my car's just sitting there.

DRock3d
11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
$$4,300? What are they doing charging 200 an hour for labor? This is crazy there is no way it should cost this much for a rebuild, it shouldn't even cost $2,000 for a rebuilt transmission. I had the transmission rebuilt in my Cougar and it was 2,000 total.

Clewe
11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Well don't I feel like an idiot...

hercfe
11-03-2010, 02:32 PM
a manual trans rebuild to OE specs with all OE parts should take no more than 2 full work days drop off to pick up, and cost around 1500+parts. If you pay more than that, I'd be pissed. This is why you should ALWAYS search and post on the forums BEFORE getting major service done so you know what pricing should be. 4300 could have bought you a stage 3 B5.

flynnr
11-03-2010, 02:49 PM
yeah man. you could have went out to any used car lot, find your same car, buy it, take that tranny out and put it into yours, and part out that other car for $2300 and you'd have 2k left over :)

you got boned

HotSauce
11-03-2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.hugsandpullups.com/home/uploads/tootsie-pop-owl.jpg

jturnbull
11-03-2010, 02:51 PM
After suffering a very similar situation after a week I would have towed it to another shop.

Polski
11-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Be very careful about a shop holding you car for a while.
You really have to watch out, some will mess up your car on purpose so that you come back.
I've always been next to my car when its in the shop the first couple of times until i trust/get to know the mechanics working on it.

99blueb5
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
wow the shop got the better deal of the pole. used parts FTW!

guy022077
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
if its me, in your story, i ask for a breakdown right now of what they have done and money spent pay them whatever it is to release the car and get my parts back tow your car home and dont ever go back to that shop again. 4300$ is out of control.

"yeah man. you could have went out to any used car lot, find your same car, buy it, take that tranny out and put it into yours, and part out that other car for $2300 and you'd have 2k left over :)

you got boned"

belinko
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
I recently purchased an 01A 5speed trans for $600 delivered, with less than 70K miles. A "new" one from ECS tuning is $1000.

dcampana
11-03-2010, 04:07 PM
DIY- ftw. it could be done on 4 jackstands and about $150 in tools and about a day for your first time.

sorry to hear of your luck. i agree to get a breakdown and pay the shop and go somewhere else...

walky_talky20
11-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Reading the OP's signature, it would appear this is Tiptronic rebuild, not a manual. So that changes things a bit. Buying a used one is a little less enticing when it comes to an Automatic, as you never now how often fluid changes were done, how it shifts, etc. A rebuilt unit is more of a sure fix.

That said, $4300 is out of control. Even a 5-speed swap would be cheaper than that.

biketsai
11-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Reading the OP's signature, it would appear this is Tiptronic rebuild, not a manual. So that changes things a bit. Buying a used one is a little less enticing when it comes to an Automatic, as you never now how often fluid changes were done, how it shifts, etc. A rebuilt unit is more of a sure fix.

That said, $4300 is out of control. Even a 5-speed swap would be cheaper than that.

For sure, $2k tops!

somebody5788
11-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I can't say the price is wrong for a rebuild on a Tip... unfortunately its pricey. Used low miles is a much much better option. But I am not surprised at all about the delay. Most shops refuse to rebuild them because parts are so expensive and hard to find.

sethlamb
11-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Thats wack. You coulda grabbed a high milage spare a4 for that kinda cash.

Avant Nate
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Though the price seems a little streep, people have to understand that you particular job may only take a few hours, but they have to juggle multiple jobs simultaneously. For jobs like an Audi, they don't order parts until the car is dropped, in case you no show. Depending on where you live, that can take a few hours or weeks. That's usually why a shop takes so much longer than if you had all the parts and did it yourself. Very few businesses can operate job to job

_hmnib5
11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
dnt let them charge for all that labor. fuck all sorts of labor costs. shops will do that to you dude.

marknad113
11-05-2010, 12:15 PM
what was the original price quote? how many hours of labor and how much for parts? just wondering...

Turbo510
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
You didn't go to "Car Lab" in California, did you? That story is familiar, I bought a used Tip transaxle from ETS Engine for $1K, which I then delivered to that shop after changing the filter. Car Lab estimated around $600 to R&R. A week later the labor bill was $2400. On top of that, the trans wasn't filled correctly, wouldn't go into reverse. After they got that right, drove it home and found an 18" Snap-On breaker bar wedged between the case top and car body, which had caused both rear trans mounts to break. Then the guy that recommended the shop says "they screwed you TOO? Man, I though they had cleaned up their act!" The only good part is the used trans has been working perfectly for two years.

PoormansA4
11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
stopped reading towards the middle, but I hate when shops do that, what I was told from a former mechanic was with bigger projects like that they will just more or less work on it on their free time (in between other customers), that way they can still get more jobs done(more $), but when you first bring it in they will pull it apart so that way if you decided to change your mind they will charge you labor on it for removal and putting it back it without anything done, so that way your stuck.