PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Car won't start after installing cct

blacktop
11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
My car won't start after I installed the cam tensioner on my car. My guess is that I changed the timing, so is there a way to reset the timing on the 1.8 and correct everything?

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Here's a good breakdown of how to get your timing straightened out:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/315680-Finding-TDC-on-Cylinder-1-for-CCT-job.

blacktop
11-03-2010, 01:18 PM

blacktop
11-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Here's a good breakdown of how to get your timing straightened out:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/315680-Finding-TDC-on-Cylinder-1-for-CCT-job.

Thanks for the info, but here's the thing I replaced the cam chain tensioner by removing the intake cam and I pull and shaked the cam tensioner with the intake cam out and it worked. So the exhaust was never moved and while I was replacing the cam back in I noticed the mark that I put there was gone and so I was at a lost and didn't know how to fix this so I taught maybe you can put the intake on by moving it and fitting it in like a lego, sort of. And the outcome of that was a no start, so coming from that how do I correct this problem?

99blueb5
11-03-2010, 02:53 PM
you need to match up the marks on both the cams, the other mark is on the cam cap, marks are at the timing chain side, if they arnt matched up then most likely you bent a decent amount of intake valves

linky: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/275895-How-to-1.8T-Cam-Chain-Tensioner-Gasket-replacement

walky_talky20
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes, you set the chain timing using the marks on the rear. Also, there must be 16 links between the marks. And it is advisable to count them 3 times to be sure. Or like 10 times to be really really sure, lol.

If it is only 1 or 2 links off, you might be ok. This is sort of undocumented as to how forgiving it is, other than you best get it right the first time. Hopefully you'll be ok.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x191/GSO_Passater/VW/camlines.png

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2485966&postcount=5

blacktop
11-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Yes, you set the chain timing using the marks on the rear. Also, there must be 16 links between the marks. And it is advisable to count them 3 times to be sure. Or like 10 times to be really really sure, lol.

If it is only 1 or 2 links off, you might be ok. This is sort of undocumented as to how forgiving it is, other than you best get it right the first time. Hopefully you'll be ok.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x191/GSO_Passater/VW/camlines.png

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2485966&postcount=5

Thanks alot, you had in mind excatly what I was looking for, but I really hope I didn't damage any parts expecally the valves when I tried to start it. If I did do you have an idea of how bad the damage would be?

walky_talky20
11-03-2010, 05:21 PM
It all depends on how far off it was. There is a bit of leeway there. It is certainly possible that you could have it off enough links for it to fail to start, but not enough to bend valves. So there is hope. The good news would be there is very little chance of damage to the exhaust valves. So that's 10 valves you don't have to worry about. If there is valve damage, it is basically a head gasket job plus changing the bent valves. Sometimes you get lucky and there is only 1 in each cylinder that got hit (center intake valve). So that's not too bad.

If there is damage, in a shop the repair would probably be something around 12 hours of labor. If you can pull the head yourself and just have them change the valves, it would only be a couple hours, depending on how many valves. You're going to have the entire front end of the car off as you have to reset the t-belt, etc. There is a trick to get around that, though...if you're awesome.

blacktop
11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
It all depends on how far off it was. There is a bit of leeway there. It is certainly possible that you could have it off enough links for it to fail to start, but not enough to bend valves. So there is hope. The good news would be there is very little chance of damage to the exhaust valves. So that's 10 valves you don't have to worry about. If there is valve damage, it is basically a head gasket job plus changing the bent valves. Sometimes you get lucky and there is only 1 in each cylinder that got hit (center intake valve). So that's not too bad.

If there is damage, in a shop the repair would probably be something around 12 hours of labor. If you can pull the head yourself and just have them change the valves, it would only be a couple hours, depending on how many valves. You're going to have the entire front end of the car off as you have to reset the t-belt, etc. There is a trick to get around that, though...if you're awesome.

Your awesome for helping me out. But I don't think I can go that far seems to be more work do you suggest that I try to put it back together and see if it starts after I fix the problem, or should I have someone check the valves first?

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-04-2010, 04:24 AM
You're already so close to having it back together, I personally would finish setting the time, button everything back up, and see if she runs before pulling the head.

walky_talky20
11-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Yep. Set the cam chain timing and put it back together. With any luck, it will fire right up.

Audi Skate Snow
11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
like everyone else said, make sure timing is all lined up on the cams with 16 pins. Also double check everything is plugged back in (cam position sensor)

sawyer13
11-04-2010, 10:33 AM
The good news would be there is very little chance of damage to the exhaust valves. So that's 10 valves you don't have to worry about.

there are only 8 exhaust valves....

walky_talky20
11-04-2010, 02:30 PM
there are only 8 exhaust valves....

Correct! Don't know what I was thinking, lol. Thanks.

blacktop
11-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys for the input I will be doing this tomorrow afterwork hopefully there is no rain in the afternoon. Wish me luck.

walky_talky20
11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Good Luck. And take some photos of the chain and chain-markings for us.

blacktop
11-06-2010, 02:01 PM
So after putting everything back the right way, the car still won't start I've been trying to get the car started since last night and no go on it. I took a picture of the cam alignment of how it was so I will upload that later. I fix the timing and the car still won't start from what it looks like it's a very lazy start and it cranked very slowly so I figured I should check the battery and it was below the 12 gauge level so I got a jump still no start so now I'm stuck with a car that doesn't run. I can't really tell what's wrong, there is a puddle under the car but I think it might be from the radiator because there no smell to the liquid but I think it's water. What would you guys do in a situation like this? Could it be that the engine has bent valves that's preventing the right air mixture? Or could it be something else? Where would one start after this?

99blueb5
11-06-2010, 03:50 PM
you might have flooded the car by trying to crank on it all these times, pull the plugs and let them dry off for around 4hrs

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-08-2010, 06:26 AM
^True. Also, these cars don't always like having a low battery. Put your battery on a charger and get it up to a full charge. Then, make sure all your wiring is buttoned up (coil packs especially) and check your codes.

blacktop
11-09-2010, 05:42 PM
^True. Also, these cars don't always like having a low battery. Put your battery on a charger and get it up to a full charge. Then, make sure all your wiring is buttoned up (coil packs especially) and check your codes.

Its funny you said coil pack because I check them on Saturday and one of my coil packs aren't firing. So I just placed an order for a coil pack from you guys. Also here is the image of the cam alignment that was done to the car when I did not know how to set the timing. [headbang]

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy91/aboogy915/IMG00007-20101105-18582.jpg

spyder101
11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Uh,oh. Does'nt look good.

99blueb5
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
well its not crazy far off, looks like 1 or 2 teeth off

blacktop
11-10-2010, 04:44 PM
It was 2 tooth off but I corrected it back hopefully it starts once I receive the coil pack from ecstuning.

blacktop
11-13-2010, 08:25 PM
So after receiving the new coil pack the car still did not start so now I'm going to have to check the wires. I'm wondering if anyone else ever had something like this happened where 3 coil packs fired but the last one to the back of the engine doesn't fire?

walky_talky20
11-13-2010, 08:46 PM
It is most likely the wires then. You'll want to check for power and ground to the connector, and also check the wire between the connector and the ECU. You could also check for pulse on that wire during cranking.

If there is wiring damage, it is most likely right near the connector. Just pull back the rubber boot and check it out first. It is very likely that it broke when removing the valve cover a few times - moving the brittle, heat-treated wires around a lot.

blacktop
11-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks I will check that, I think your right about the wire connection and Walky what do you think about the timing mistake that I did. How bad do you think it was?

spyder101
11-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I guess you can pull the spark plugs and see if there are puffs of air coming out, when cranking over or run a compression check.

walky_talky20
11-13-2010, 11:06 PM
2 teeth is probably ok. Especially in the direction that you had it off (over-retarded). It probably ought to start and run on 3 cylinders, though. So that is somewhat troubling. Still, I wouldn't worry until you get all spark plugs firing. If it doesn't run then, you should check the compression.

blacktop
11-16-2010, 02:39 PM
I need your help again guys, so I need to correct the impulse rotor, I remember taking it out but I don't remember how it goes back. I think this is the cause of my car not starting. I will upload the image later of how it looks on my car.

walky_talky20
11-16-2010, 05:03 PM
The impulse ring for the cam position sensor?

Just unplug the cam sensor. Car should start correctly about 50% of the time with no cam sensor. I tried it. ;)

But do show us the photo so we can see whats up.

blacktop
11-16-2010, 05:44 PM
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy91/aboogy915/IMG00001-20101116-1701.jpg

yea thats it, i'm not sure if it's on right but I braught a mechanic to take a look at it he thinks the timing is off some how so he said to me that this ring could be sending a wrong pulse to the cam sensor. But I haven't tried to start the car with the sensor unplugged. I also checked the fuses myself with a test light and the fuses located in fuse holders 28, 29, 34 looks fine but my test light does not light up on them with the key on or with it off, i'm not too sure what those fuses are for.

spyder101
11-16-2010, 07:29 PM
the window only goes on one way. There is a notch in the ring which lines up with the camshaft.

blacktop
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Are you sure? Because it seems like it can go on any direction on the cam sensor cover.

spyder101
11-16-2010, 08:23 PM
yes. behind the bolt that holds it in place, you will see the notch.

walky_talky20
11-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Fuse 28, 29, and 34 are powered by the fuel pump relay. So they will only be powered for a few seconds right after the key is turned on (fuel pump prime) OR during cranking (key in START position).

I don't think you had to remove the impulse rotor to install the CCT. If you did, that's fine though. It is keyed so it only goes back on 1 way. Regardless, if the car won't start with the Cam sensor unplugged, I'd check the compression next.

spyder101
11-16-2010, 09:46 PM
impulse rotor! those are the words I was looking for.

blacktop
11-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Believe it or not after I corrected the impulse rotor, the car started right up. I was just about to rip off the front end to check the timing but now the car runs fine no check engine[:D]. Only one fault code and thats for the P1128 for the lean mixture, I think I might have an air leak somewhere by the air intake so I have to correct that. But my car is back up and running and I wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me out I really appreciate it.

walky_talky20
11-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Just curious, did you try starting it with the cam sensor unplugged?

Glad you got it squared away.

blacktop
11-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Na I didn't get a chance to try it because at the time I was waiting for my battery to get recharged so I just fixed the impulse rotor and when I got the battery back I just started it with everything together and it started. Thanks for your help.

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Glad to hear you're back up and running!

blacktop
11-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Thank you, since I had this car I've never felt what it feels like to drive it without the tensioner being bad. So now it feel great when I step on the gas. I want more power out of it also but I don't know where to star. What would you guys do first? I was thinking exhaust an high flow cat back, but i can't seem to find any.