PDA

View Full Version : Make my n-s Avant handle like a Mini: upgrade sway(s) rear only, or F & R

JW Spencer
11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a stock APR chipped non-sport 1.8tQ A4 Avant. I drove a Mini and loved the slot car responsive handling. My wife wants a new kitchen, I want to get my boy into karting, so I am planning on keeping the Avant for a few more years (90k miles total, w/ rebuilt head due to TB failure). The Avant is a daily driver with child seats in the back. I love the car, but would like to improve the body roll, turn in, and reduce understeer, while maintaining a comfortable daily driver. By choice and priorities this is a decidedly low budget operation, appearance doesn't matter to me. I don't plan on changing wheels and tires, currently I have 15" Yokohamas and only rarely explore the limits of adhesion, and I don't plan on auto crossing.

I read the wiki, and the faq.

My first step is to replace the rear sway. I am saving up to replace the springs and struts, (recommends appreciated, not too low- I have gleaned that H&R/Bilstein might be a good choice

Question: I am considering buying an S4 rear sway bar. The guy also has the front sway. Should I get both? Should I just get the rear? Will the front sway improve turn in , and compromise understeer? Will the rear suffice and improve understeer and turn in? Remember this is a dd typiaclly driven at 80%-90% of limits. I just want it to feel more like a Mini.
jws

Papa Stone
11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
one of the things that a mini has is lightness..
a bigger sway bar in the rear will create more oversteer. I would get the Hsport sway bars, they might be more expensive but it will be worth it..

JW Spencer
11-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm kind of kidding about making it handle like a Mini. But I would like it to handle more like a Mini, i.e. less body roll, dive, quicker turn in, reduce understeer. Just make it more fun and tossable at 80%-90% and fun and safe at the limit of adhesion.

wpkaudi
11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I have hsport and they are nice. I also had a.non sport avant. Ibm get some rear links when you order them. And yes the front made a huge difference. Read many posts saying only rear, but I drove with rear then front. Do both. Rear links yes.

.Mad Hatter.
11-01-2010, 05:02 PM
dont waste time with the S4 sways. go with a full setup or a larger rear and a sport front. my sedan with sport rear and neuspeed rear on stiff with corner balanced coil overs turned in quite well...

tar
11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
bilstein sports with h&r race springs with front/rear adjustable sways. or get fully adjustable coils over the shock spring combo.

walky_talky20
11-01-2010, 08:49 PM
If you just want handling for a DD, I'd stay away from the race springs and go with H&R Sports instead, with Bilstein shocks. The sports add handling and are plenty stiff for a DD.

I installed H-Sport sways on a B6 A4 and got to drive it before and after. It already had H&R/Bilstein setup and I thought it was perfect already. The sways made it *fantastic*. I was extremely impressed at how much better it handled. "Before" was like a sports car. "After" was like a go-kart. The car was on rails.

FormerA4Owner
11-01-2010, 10:05 PM
To answer your question: Get both. It cant hurt, but looking into some aftermarket sways might be a good idea over the S4 sways.