PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo-ing a 2.8 V6

seanj130
10-31-2010, 06:13 PM
AZ,

Now, before you get on my case and say that it can not be done, or it is not worth it.. that is not what I am looking for.

I have tried searching and maybe I didn't not search right. I have a 1.8tqm and I am just curious to as of why it cannot be done and I am just looking for someone to post a collaboration of threads into this one so I can read up and learn. (I like learning about random shit) So if anyone has better luck searching that I have had please post up

Thank you,
Best,
-Sean.

dcc236
10-31-2010, 06:29 PM
It's very easy.
Sell the 2.8 A4 and buy a S4.
Cheaper, easier and very fast.

blacka4
10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
anything is possible with the right amount of money. it just isn't financially feesable.

seanj130
10-31-2010, 06:35 PM
I know that there are threads out their with more detailed information (I have seen them but i just can't seem to find them again)

30vQuattro
10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
I looked into this a while back when I had a 2.8. The engine is too cramped in there and there is simply not enough room. You can do a lower mounted turbo (further down the exhaust) but it's too expensive (atleast 6k) and you wont be able to push more than 8psi on it as the 2.8 can't handle much boost as it wasen't made for it. You could get into the block/ heads so that you can run more boost, but it will get soo expensive that you'll prob wont want to do it. A guy over on audiworld posted a video of his rear mount turbo 12v 2.8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEb2ouYFta0

It can be done, but you will be better off (price wise) with a g2 supercharger.

seanj130
10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Thank you 30vQuattro for giving a good informative answer (that is what i was looking for)

-Sean

seanj130
10-31-2010, 07:11 PM
http://boostedorbust.blogspot.com/ This has everything that anybody would ever need to perform or pull off this set up. Thank you for the link to that youtube video, it had a link to how he did it. and it is not as expensive as most people are playing it out to be.

Thank you for everyones time.

-Sean

stevejones19
10-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Thats the exact thread i was lookin for today when i saw this post. He's updated it a TON since i've last seen it too.

Insomniac
10-31-2010, 10:56 PM
anything is possible with the right amount of money. it just isn't financially feesable.

Financial feasibility differs from person to person. This might not be easy to do, but the parts are certainly available.

geeky
10-31-2010, 11:55 PM
It's not about the space in the engine bay nor the cost for the swap as money is a different standard for every individual, and I've seen a full S8 motor swapped into the B5 A4 engine bay w/ turbos, so a 2.8 + twin turbo setup can fit easily in that engine bay.

But what it really comes down to is the motor itself. I recall reading somewhere on AZ here that the original design of the pistons on the N/A 2.8's would overheat and loose compression. From what I can remember, the OE piston design placed the piston rings too close to the dome of the piston design so with prolonged use of boost, the cylinder would begin to heat up and not be able disperse it properly and the rings would blow or the piston itself would begin to melt and give out.

The 2.8 head is not the issue, but if you look over the blog regarding the 2.8 boost, you'll notice his first post is the piston design, which was made to correct the OE issue I stated above. As for the rods and and internals, I have no idea.

wildbill
11-01-2010, 12:31 AM
build a bottom end because geeky is probably right
rear mount turboos have no real "significantly" extra lag
its called modifying your car....do whatever you want, if youre car is set up with everything you want, it may be worth it
do whatever the hell you want...but get about 10k up before its all said and done....cost of a 2.7 swap

somebody5788
11-01-2010, 05:25 AM
It's not about the space in the engine bay nor the cost for the swap as money is a different standard for every individual, and I've seen a full S8 motor swapped into the B5 A4 engine bay w/ turbos, so a 2.8 + twin turbo setup can fit easily in that engine bay.

But what it really comes down to is the motor itself. I recall reading somewhere on AZ here that the original design of the pistons on the N/A 2.8's would overheat and loose compression. From what I can remember, the OE piston design placed the piston rings too close to the dome of the piston design so with prolonged use of boost, the cylinder would begin to heat up and not be able disperse it properly and the rings would blow or the piston itself would begin to melt and give out.

The 2.8 head is not the issue, but if you look over the blog regarding the 2.8 boost, you'll notice his first post is the piston design, which was made to correct the OE issue I stated above. As for the rods and and internals, I have no idea.

100% Correct. However the valves are also made of a cheaper metal that cant take pro longed exposure to boost either. They melt as well....

Euromike
11-01-2010, 06:36 AM
100% Correct. However the valves are also made of a cheaper metal that cant take pro longed exposure to boost either. They melt as well....

Really? Don't all the S4 kids want our heads? Maybe they re valve them.

EuroDriven
11-01-2010, 07:40 AM

I remember reading something about someone swapping to a 2.8 head on a s4 but keeping the hollow valves to be a guinea pig to see if they will work. I believe the valves will work, but for stock s4 boost levels and probably for not too long.

Greedo
11-01-2010, 10:02 AM
From an outside perspective; why? For the money you will spend on doing this (not to mention the headache and time), you could apply that money towards a newer Audi. Sure, you won't get the same power, but if it's really just about the power, perhaps you should look into a different car that's much cheaper to build (or one worth building, like a Supra or a RX7). Maybe I'm the odd one here, but a 15 year old car that doesn't have a lot of aftermarket mods in the first place, is the last place I'd start dumping my money (and it will be a lot of money dumped down the drain before you get it right).

Just my two cents.

somebody5788
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM

Typically they just want the higher flow of the head and cams. They usually put new valves and stronger springs since they are already putting in the money.

Sales@RAI
11-01-2010, 10:11 AM
its pretty cheap to find a 2.7T swap nowadays, just do that

hiwords1
11-01-2010, 11:14 AM
a TT 2.8 has been done before. he used a lot of S4 parts and used custom tuning. i think this was done in like 2002 so he spent a lot of money on it and only ended up with about 300whp. for the same amount of money, you could have a lot of fun with a STG3 S4. or have even more fun and talk to the guys at EPL about their tial kit

Quintin@R.A.I.
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
a TT 2.8 has been done before. he used a lot of S4 parts and used custom tuning. i think this was done in like 2002 so he spent a lot of money on it and only ended up with about 300whp. for the same amount of money, you could have a lot of fun with a STG3 S4. or have even more fun and talk to the guys at EPL about their tial kit
then he did something very much wrong.

Kyle H
11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
and it is not as expensive as most people are playing it out to be.

oh yeah?

Once the motor was tired from the rear mount setup, it was time for a rebuild and redesign. The rear mount turbo worked good and eased into the boost but to really give the car the power to be competitive it needed the turbo moved up front. It started with gathering parts for the car:

3" 304 stainless mandrel bent pipes $140
3" 10' long 304 stainless straight section $100
3" 304 stainless flanges, flex pipes, v-band $100
Stainless filler wire for the MIG welder $35
Stainless filler rod for the TIG welder $$$$$
Aluminum filler rod for the TIG welder $$$$$
02 weld on bung $10
Stainless turbo flanges $50
cheap Wastegate $60
Greddy profec b spec II $100
Perrin solenoid $100
HKS ssqv blow off valve $150
Bov aluminum weld on flange $ 10
Aluminum Intercooler piping 2" $80
Intercooler $100
Oil catch can/check valves $40
Header flanges: $30
Oil feed line/return line/turbo fittings $100
38# lucas racing injectors narrow 15 degree cone $200
Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator $150
260 liter per hour Bosch fuel pump $165

Engine rebuild parts:
Gasket set $250
Forged 4340 rods from Integrated Engineering $850
Forged Pistons w/pins, rings, & retainers from JE $950
AAH heads used $350 (because they flow better and accept the double nested valve springs)
Inconel exhaust valves from 034 Motorsports $234
Stainless intake valves $80
New High rate valve springs from 034 Motorsports $140
Engine Bearings: $$$$$ not all bearings are created equal !!!!!

Engine Controls:
Megasquirt II w/ ford edis 6 ignition, harness, and usb cable $650

Engine service costs:
Boring 0.5mm over $$$
Balancing internals $$$
Engine Paint $20

Manual 5 speed transmission (01A) w/ all running gear for swap $500 shipped
Unorthodox racing 10lb flywheel $200
Sachs 6 puck race clutch $240

Renting Bay Time $$$$$$$$$$$

That's $6,000, plus at least a grand for the engine work, and who knows how much for bay time. Keep in mind this guy sounds like an engineer who can weld, and that he did everything pretty much as cheap as possible. This guy could have built an insane vr6 with the amount of time and money into his v6.

ApeX-CrZn
11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
oh yeah? That's $6,000, plus at least a grand for the engine work, and who knows how much for bay time. Keep in mind this guy sounds like an engineer who can weld, and that he did everything pretty much as cheap as possible. This guy could have built an insane vr6 with the amount of time and money into his v6.

I don't believe he has dyno'd his car with that list of parts. I don't believe you could do a vr6 swap for the price that he has into his car now and have equivalent power.

Kyle H
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Really? given his skills, the only additional price would be buying the vr6 engine. and I'd bet the aftermarket parts for the vr6 are cheaper than parts for the v6, so that would probably offset that cost.

I've never really looked too much into it though so I'm not sure.

Rhynolite
11-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Why not go single turbo instead? You can route the exhaust and intake like the S4 guys are doing with their single turbo setups or mount it behind the engine by cutting out a bit of the first firewall. Of course it'll take a bit of building of the bottom, pistons etc. to run some significant boost but it'd probably end up costing either the same/less.

Like so:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Aeig/SingleTurbo2.jpg

Sales@RAI
11-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Why not do a stage2+ S4 motor for ~2k?

seanj130
11-02-2010, 07:25 PM
AZ,

I am not actually talking price here, I am more trying to learn about what is going on, why it can or can not be done. However, this single turbo setup is looking nice. I am just interested in building cool stuff (Twin Turbo Boxster) in the very near future. Or a Whipple charger on a new Tahoe. So maybe this could be an interesting project as I have a K27 Turbo already that can be used, Injectors making the manifold would cost next to nothing and I/C piping wouldn't cost anything. And when it comes to welding, and Mandrel pipe bending.. Well it helps to have an Uncle who is a Union Iron Worker who welds and bends pipe for a living.. And when it comes to a machine shop.. Well that would be free too. Oh year, Renting bay time (who the hell does that when you can just use 1/18 bays for free)?

-Sean

Kyle H
11-02-2010, 07:57 PM
you can do anything given enough time, money and skills.

auh
11-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure I'd personally like to take this route. I've seen and really like when people swap an s4 drive train into an A4, and thats got twin turbo 2.7l engine.

geeky
11-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure I'd personally like to take this route. I've seen and really like when people swap an s4 drive train into an A4, and thats got twin turbo 2.7l engine.

that swap also comes with the headaches from the 2.7l. I personally feel that a built 2.8 30V with a single turbo would be awesome. depending on where you mount the turbo, and how you build the bottom end, the motor will outlast, outpower, and will be MUCH easier to work on than a 2.7l.

ApeX-CrZn
11-03-2010, 10:30 AM
would a s4 bolt not bolt up to a 01A??

somebody5788
11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
that swap also comes with the headaches from the 2.7l. I personally feel that a built 2.8 30V with a single turbo would be awesome. depending on where you mount the turbo, and how you build the bottom end, the motor will outlast, outpower, and will be MUCH easier to work on than a 2.7l.

The 2.8 shares all the problems the 2.7 has.. except the turbo's. They are built basically exactly the same. The 2.7's main headache is the turbo's and they require removing the engine to replace... So yes you could make it easier to service that but only a rear mount would be easy to work on.

somebody5788
11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
would a s4 bolt not bolt up to a 01A??

It would but the transmission is slightly weaker

034Motorsport
11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Just saw this thread. I am actually going to turbo my 2.8L V6 later this year. Already have an engine harness built for it. There is absolutely positively no reason to do a twin turbo on the 2.8L. You would be wasting a huge amount of time, money, and effort compared to swapping in a 2.7T motor that is... umm... made from the factory with a twin turbo. Instead, consider just doing a single small turbo on the 2.8L. Some simple cutting of the false firewall, battery relocation to the rear, and a bit of custom piping and you've taken care of all the mechanical and need only deal with engine management. For that, you could swap in a 2.7T OEM wiring harness, or go with a standalone like I am (our 034EFI Stage IIc).

My goals are a nice simple 250 wheel with 10psi or so. I don't like superchargers, and I want to do something that not many have done, hence my choice to turbo. Audi/VW actually MAKE exhaust manifolds for a single turbo setup on then V6 motor. Yes, you saw that correctly. They are tiny and probably not a great choice, since custom ones would be quite simple (twin scroll love), but its a good model to use.

Just do not twin turbo the 2.8L AHA/ATQ; you will need to do rods and pistons if you are pushing any degree of power, as well as probably replacing the 2 piece exhaust valves, etc etc. By that point, you could pretty much build a 2.8L APB block that is capable of holding over 600wheel for the same price, and need absolutely no custom piping or anything. No brainer.

PS. If you want to run the 01E tranny, you will need the S4 subframes and rear diff, etc. The cost adds up real quick.

PPS. Better yet, as many have mentioned... just go buy a B5 S4. I bought mine over a year ago for under $5000.

seanj130
11-03-2010, 05:13 PM
oh yeah?

That's $6,000, plus at least a grand for the engine work, and who knows how much for bay time. Keep in mind this guy sounds like an engineer who can weld, and that he did everything pretty much as cheap as possible. This guy could have built an insane vr6 with the amount of time and money into his v6.

Kyle,

Isn't the stage III kit from AWE w/out intercoolers about 9 grand?

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=4&PEI=6&PP=s4_27t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=rsk04

-Sean

king
11-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Just saw this thread. I am actually going to turbo my 2.8L V6 later this year. Already have an engine harness built for it. There is absolutely positively no reason to do a twin turbo on the 2.8L. You would be wasting a huge amount of time, money, and effort compared to swapping in a 2.7T motor that is... umm... made from the factory with a twin turbo. Instead, consider just doing a single small turbo on the 2.8L. Some simple cutting of the false firewall, battery relocation to the rear, and a bit of custom piping and you've taken care of all the mechanical and need only deal with engine management. For that, you could swap in a 2.7T OEM wiring harness, or go with a standalone like I am (our 034EFI Stage IIc).

My goals are a nice simple 250 wheel with 10psi or so. I don't like superchargers, and I want to do something that not many have done, hence my choice to turbo. Audi/VW actually MAKE exhaust manifolds for a single turbo setup on then V6 motor. Yes, you saw that correctly. They are tiny and probably not a great choice, since custom ones would be quite simple (twin scroll love), but its a good model to use.

Just do not twin turbo the 2.8L AHA/ATQ; you will need to do rods and pistons if you are pushing any degree of power, as well as probably replacing the 2 piece exhaust valves, etc etc. By that point, you could pretty much build a 2.8L APB block that is capable of holding over 600wheel for the same price, and need absolutely no custom piping or anything. No brainer.

PS. If you want to run the 01E tranny, you will need the S4 subframes and rear diff, etc. The cost adds up real quick.

PPS. Better yet, as many have mentioned... just go buy a B5 S4. I bought mine over a year ago for under $5000.
can you give more info on your build. ive been thinking about all i would need to do to boost my 2.8 and it looks like you have your info straight about this subject.
also can you give more info on that single turbo manifold????

seanj130
11-03-2010, 05:31 PM
can you give more info on your build. ive been thinking about all i would need to do to boost my 2.8 and it looks like you have your info straight about this subject.
also can you give more info on that single turbo manifold????

Max@034,

I will be looking forward to this build thread, or just a blog when it is done. Seems very interesting with all the small components that not many people have sorted out. Good luck with your build. Try and keep a total price on everything if you can please.

-Sean.

Castor Troy
11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Why not go single turbo instead? You can route the exhaust and intake like the S4 guys are doing with their single turbo setups or mount it behind the engine by cutting out a bit of the first firewall. Of course it'll take a bit of building of the bottom, pistons etc. to run some significant boost but it'd probably end up costing either the same/less.

Like so:

is there a build thread for that thing somewhere?

nunya
11-03-2010, 08:15 PM

Like so:

Hehe, i did some pulls with this guy in South Carolina. It wasnt as fast as you would think, it was a GT35. He wanted $$ to do a real run.

--dillon

nunya
11-03-2010, 08:25 PM
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=14570830

The old post i could dig up from him on AW... His name is Aaron.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Single-Turbo-S4_204923.htm

Hank Moody
01-17-2011, 01:40 AM
I'm the guy with the boosted or bust blog. just ran across this post and wanted to chime in. Sorry I haven't updated the blog in a while I haven't had much time to work on it but plan on some updates in the next few months ok. Feel free to email me asv4k8@gmail.com

FOUR
01-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Very interesting thread.

FiFi88
12-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I have a 97 a4 with the 30v AHA Swap. It's also twin turbo, and its also really f***in fast. I used s4 manifolds, s4 k03s, custom oil n cooler hoses, wideband o2, and SAFC-II as a stand alone. I boost 5psi all day and on the second file i have it running 10psi. I even melted the boost controller once and I only noticed cause it was boosting 14psi with minor misfires and guess what, it didnt blow up! My point is, anyone who has no faith in the 2.8l 30v, basically hasn't given it the light of day. I have 180k on my tach and this motor had 140k when I installed it, compression is high, it doesn't smoke at all; with cold plugs and fuel management, makes me wonder why I didn't do this sooner. Oh and minus my labor, I've spent under $2000. eBay parts mostly.
$180 turbos with manifolds
$80 Big maf
$350 Down pipes
$250 Oil and Coolant hoses
$60 Oil feed & dump parts ect.
$160 SAFC-II stand alone
$160 Innovate wideband o2
$40 Cheap boost guage
$100 Intercoolers
$100 Intercoolers piping
$160 Boost controller (free)
A lot of patience :)
$1840 bucks roughly. I have put this car through hell because I really don't think it's gonna blow, I even went to Wuste 2012 it didn't even burn a qrt of oil. That's 600+ miles each way. Anyone who tells you that this motor won't handle boost is definitely not 100% on that. I have a few pictures my gf took while I was working on it but I can't figure how to attach from the iPad. In my opinion, the 2.8 in my set up has the advantage that it doesn't have that bulky upper oil pan section, makes mine way way easier to work on.

IMG_4500.jpeg

coolgraymemo
12-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Pics?

howardfootball
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
You cannot make a post like that and not have pictures to back up your claim.

Artiemas
12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
All ebay stuff, and a stock 2.8 block...Yet no detonation? Don't get me wrong, the 2.8 is a bullet proof engine, but the con arms aren't beefy at all, and the pistons aren't meant for a turbocharger.

ddillenger
12-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Lot of mis-information being given here.

1. The 2.8 is the same exact size as the 2.7, if twin turbos fit in an a4 on a 2.7, they will fit a 2.8.
2. The 2.8 valves (exhaust) are also sodium filled, not made of a cheaper metal. The intake ports are substantially larger as well, and cams also have a more agressive profile (shifts power higher in the rpm band). Thus the reason heavily modded 2.7 guys use them. On a stock engine 2.8 port design will develop less power than the 2.7t heads. VELOCITY is key here.
3. The 2.8 will work just fine with MODERATE (5-8psi) boost. Anything more than that and you're asking for detonation due to the higher compression.

That being said, the 2.7 is a much better alternative if we're talking about a stock longblock. It's specifically made to handle increased cylinder pressures. You can't run a 2.8 at the same boost levels for an extended period of time as you can a 2.7.

FiFi88
12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Agreed on the not running the same power/boost levels as the 2.7t; because you could make K03s boost up to +17psi I think on stage 2 or 3 tunning right (and handle it)? Also I am aware of the diff in compression ratios and the danger of boosting this engine. My post was about how the K03s bolt right up to a 2.8L and that for lil money, this can be done... Not so much about this being a better choice than the 2.7t. Belive me, I bought the used A4 2.8 only cause at the time the used S4 2.7t was $25k. I was reading how many people were like "DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!" so i went ahead and tried it. The PES G2 would have cost 3x as much and the rule of 8psi max was still a factor. And I wasnt looking forward to relocating things. The twin Turbo only requires you to modify the Oil feed and oil filter housing, Oil pan (easier than 2.7T upper oil pan), MAF with built in IAT, Down Pipes and exhaust studs.

The few (and I mean very few) people who play around with the Supercharged 2.8L blow their motors up at or around 12psi usually, and those guys put atleast $5k in forced induction with stock internals to those cars. Look im well aware that this is sketchy, but if i do blow the engine, then all i gotta do is pull it and replace the internals, and i would still have a pretty legit Twin Turbo Kit Installed in a 97 A4... except this time with a SICK engine, not a 2.7t[:D] Eurospec 3.0t strockers for the b5 are like $5k wich I find to be kinda steep. I am an ASE certified mechanic though so i might end up doing it my self.

Im trying to get my ipad to post the pics but for some reason it wont even post them on my profile album, So once i get that going i will show you that this is not bulls**t.

Yea I havent done any major engine upgrades because I wanted to make this as CHEAP as possible, and i needed my own confirmation that this was plossible, but aside from THIS expense, Ive done other things like S4 calipers, EBC brakes and slotted rotors, S4 control arms, 2" Tein lowering springs, Beltstein Struts. The engine cost $xxx plus the timing belt kit. I had modified exhaust from before as well. Obviously no one in their right mind would put as much money as I have a pre facelift a4, but i have a passion for modified audis and Ive owned this car since 2005...
Artimas, I was almost possitive that once I tried my first pass under boost, that Id blow the engine up, but it didnt happen. Thats why I bought everything used on eBay and only put serious $ on the Oil/Cooling part of it and obviously exhaust since those are the only kind of tools I dont have access to. When I looked and saw my boost guage at 14psi, I only noticed cause my car bucked a lil bit and the wideband o2 read pretty lean. But compression is still at 160psi +/- 2psi each cylinder. I promise you guys pics and a video when I figure out my f***ing iPad lol.[headbang]

nynoah
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
there is soooo much wrong information in this thread. Sodium filled valves are better? Dear lord....

FiFi88
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
You cannot make a post like that and not have pictures to back up your claim.

You're right, and i appologize that the pictures didnt work, but I will have a few pics and maybe a video by this weekened, sorry about that [:/]

nunya
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
You're right, and i appologize that the pictures didnt work, but I will have a few pics and maybe a video by this weekened, sorry about that [:/]

"I bought the used 2.8 only cause at the time the used 2.7t was $25k"

comical bud.

--dillon

FiFi88
12-06-2012, 08:33 PM
"I bought the used 2.8 only cause at the time the used 2.7t was $25k"

comical bud.

--dillon

The whole car in 2005... haha sorry yea not just the motor. I was thinking about the insurance at the time too, did you know you pay 1/3 more for an S4 vs A4 cause of the twin turbo and the fact that the b5 S4 was one of the most stollen cars cause of the front bumper!?!? Also, in 2005 I was only 16-17 making very lil money haha.

audinutt
12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Nt

Hank Moody
03-15-2014, 04:26 PM
http://boostedorbust.blogspot.com/ This has everything that anybody would ever need to perform or pull off this set up. Thank you for the link to that youtube video, it had a link to how he did it. and it is not as expensive as most people are playing it out to be.

Thank you for everyones time.

-Sean

Here is the latest progress from my single turbo v6 build, car runs and drives... in the paint shop now

http://forums.quattroworld.com/12vv6/msgs/2709.phtml

http://forums.quattroworld.com/12vv6/msgs/2775.phtml

http://forums.quattroworld.com/12vv6/msgs/2781.phtml

http://boostedorbust.blogspot.com