PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a 2001 A4 1.8TQM please

toneman
03-02-2005, 01:03 PM
i just test drove what looks like a great deal, but...

2001 A4TQM
leather(ette?), cold weather package, no sports
xenons, moonroof
bose
35,000 miles

car is in decent shape, has been taken care of. there are a few minor scratches/scrapes on the paint and front valance and a small trunk dent. the interior is good, but needs a cleaning.

my worry: my buddy is an audi tech and he looked up the service history and found no problems with the car. BUT, his advice is never to buy an audi w/o a warranty. the warranty expired on this car already.

i know one problem is on its way already -- the LEDs in the cluster are visibly going out -- theres $1200 right there. and the radio sounds a little staticky. BUT the price is good, just under $15,000.

should i go for it at that price? btw, an aftermarket warranty would cost $2300!

thanks.

greengravy
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
i learned to deal with my cluster being jacked up. its letherette to clarify. get them to use paintless dent repair for the trunk, 50 bucks and its out. other than that i say thats a fairly good price.

fanuvbrak
03-02-2005, 01:40 PM
call Audi of America (1-800-367-2834) and give them the VIN to see if it's ever been audi assured. it doesn't matter where or who you're buying it from, if it's ever been audi assured, you can transfer it for $150. i lucked out on my car and right now i'm very glad i did because the timing belt broke and caused huge engine damage.

other than that, welcome, and good luck!

toneman
03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
thanks for the replies. my buddy looked up the VIN at the dealership and it is not certified [:(] if it was, i probably wouldn't have posted this and instead posted a WTB suspension!

all n' all, a good price? a decent gamble, so to speak?

AudiMV
03-02-2005, 02:35 PM
even if you were to buy it and add a aftermarket warranty it would still be a pretty good deal, but thats me

nramsey
03-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Dunno, hard to say. Depends how much $ you have in the bank or credit cards in case the car croaks on you. I bought my 2001 1.8TQMS w/ 42k miles in awesome shape a bit less than 3 months ago and I've already had an O2 sensor replaced, driver side seat heater replaced, throttle body cleaned (caused idle to dip during starting), and have a squeeking heater fan when it's cold out (guess this is a common problem).

My car is an Audi Certified Preowned and is actually still on the factory warranty till April.

I'd say if you can afford to drop $1k here and there when needed to fix stuff buy the car you want regardless of warranty. If you can't, try to find a Certified-PreOwned car. Covers the car for 2 years past factory warranty and up to 100k miles. Covers all non-wear items and has a $50 per visit deductable.

toneman
03-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by nramsey
I'd say if you can afford to drop $1k here and there when needed to fix stuff buy the car you want regardless of warranty. If you can't, try to find a Certified-PreOwned car. Covers the car for 2 years past factory warranty and up to 100k miles. Covers all non-wear items and has a $50 per visit deductable.

thanks for your input, nate. certified is looking more and more like the way to go. after i told the current owner about the cluster, he seemed more than willing to negotiate so the price may drop down to $14.5k. i keep thinking, "what a deal!" then i think about the cluster, the bose system that didn't sound quite right, o2 sensors, coilpacks, MAFs, etc that could come loose over the next year. my bro-in-law said it best, it depends on how risk-averse you are. i keep swinging back and forth on this one.