PDA

View Full Version : Help..no boost!

spindoctor
10-26-2010, 11:38 PM
I was driving back home last night and noticed the boost keeps dropping and dropping..last boost reading before reaching home was 5psi..so I hooked up the vag com and to my surprise no trouble codes.

I've just replaced the N75J a few weeks back and did an output test and yes, the solenoid works. Sick and tired of the boost issues I bought myself a turbosmart bleed off boost controller. On the way back I came to a situation where the traffic was stop and go..all of a sudden I see boost again, up to 15psi, but as I drive it longer..it went lower and lower and now Im lucky to see 2-3psi

Wastegate flapper/rod sticking? Torn actuator diaphragm? Or sticking BOV(034 motorsports unit, 2 weeks old).

Danny

Any ideas?

tgross
10-27-2010, 12:52 AM
check vacumn line from inatke manifold to dv

spindoctor
10-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Ive figured out something(maybe)..I noticed my exhaust tip being white'ish..and after driving it again..I opened up the hood and noticed the turbine housing glowing red..I'm thinking the cat melted and produces so much heat that cause the wastegate flapper to seize.

I'll update you guys.

J Ozzie
10-27-2010, 05:13 AM
If it is the cat, start your car. Go to the rear and put your hand by the exhaust. If you feel little to now flow then its FUCKED! it should feel like a blow dryer on low. I had this issue when i first got my car. Great excuse to HOLLOW tht bitch out and run a test pipe!

spindoctor
10-27-2010, 05:22 AM
If it is the cat, start your car. Go to the rear and put your hand by the exhaust. If you feel little to now flow then its FUCKED! it should feel like a blow dryer on low. I had this issue when i first got my car. Great excuse to HOLLOW tht bitch out and run a test pipe!

I like your style. haha. Unfortunately its a 14k fine here(Australia) and you lose your license...but that's life. I'll do it. haha.

J Ozzie
10-27-2010, 05:26 AM
They wouldn't know tho because your still using the cat Shell. but you just have it hollowed out!

Dynamite
10-27-2010, 02:28 PM
u guys got smog testing in Brissy now do you? glad we dont have it YET......
was your cat glowing as well as the turbo?
Also if you do gut your cat then weld some tube into the middle of the housing, other wise you get a distinct tinny sound and boost will fall off earlier because the exhaust is filling up a big hole on the exhaust side of the turbo causing the gas to slow down then it cant get out the other end fast enough when it fulls up. Someone might correct me on the last part, thats just reasoning i have from a car I worked on when it started dropping boost after the cat was gutted then when we welded a pipe through it it got better. Could have been something completely unrelated though.

spindoctor
10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
u guys got smog testing in Brissy now do you? glad we dont have it YET......
was your cat glowing as well as the turbo?
Also if you do gut your cat then weld some tube into the middle of the housing, other wise you get a distinct tinny sound and boost will fall off earlier because the exhaust is filling up a big hole on the exhaust side of the turbo causing the gas to slow down then it cant get out the other end fast enough when it fulls up. Someone might correct me on the last part, thats just reasoning i have from a car I worked on when it started dropping boost after the cat was gutted then when we welded a pipe through it it got better. Could have been something completely unrelated though.

Yes it was glowing. Confirmed the cat f*cked itself. Remember the oil loss I was chasing, so true enough it was coming out from the turbo's piston ring and that cause the cat to melt down. Very very little gas flowing out from the exhaust.

Fake catalytic converter :D

http://jnztuning.net/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_411&products_id=1143

I may retain the cat and do as you said. Good time also to make a proper exhaust system.

Oh thanks for the tip mate :)

Dynamite
10-27-2010, 04:49 PM
how far away is the new turbo then? might be a good excuse to pull the trigger and go for it, no point building an exhaust and then having to cut it to bits again to get it onto a new turbo

spindoctor
10-27-2010, 06:41 PM
how far away is the new turbo then? might be a good excuse to pull the trigger and go for it, no point building an exhaust and then having to cut it to bits again to get it onto a new turbo

Im just gonna gut the cat and run a 3inch system after that, and that can leave me a room to whether I should run the turbo setup Im after....

Apart from getting the other parts coming(and money!), Im still deciding whether a GT28RS/GT2871R or a frankenturbo's F4H-L...The F4H-L's spool up is what really got me excited cause Id prefer something close to the K03 spool up but with top end power. Then again, having driven a B6 with stage 3 APR turbo kit blew my mind..tough decision.

Gonna gut the cat this weekend btw:D...Maybe I'll run as is until I finish my exams then fabricate a mandrel bent 3 inch system.