PDA

View Full Version : Complete loss of boost

koncluded
10-24-2010, 03:38 PM
So I started driving today, and at first I thought my transmission threw out because I thought my gears weren't catching anymore. But then I realized that I lost all my boost when I look at my boost gauge. It's weird because it didn't happen prior to today. After i parked i check the intercooler hoses and the turbo inlet hose to see if everything was still in tact and it was. there's no blue smoke, and the only sound seems like there's an empty vacuum somewhere. And there no real crazy grinding to hear that dentist noise so i'm not too sure why i lost boost. Furthermore soon as I started driving again I had boost til about 3rd gear, a sudden surge of boost occurred then i lost it all. Would i be in limp mode then ?

what else should I do to check out the problem/s, I don't have a vag so I'm kinda outta luck in that aspect

thanks in advance

EDIT: so i drove out again. I'm sure it is in limp mode cause if i try to boost it won't go and when it switches into limp mode it makes a sound that sounds like 2 clicks of rubber contact...although not sure if that's helpful but that's what it sounds like to me. and occasionally when it gets close to boosting it makes that noise as well. the CEL finally went up

2001A4QUATTRO
10-24-2010, 03:48 PM
stock or chipped? How much boost do you usually run? What year car and upgrades? I had this happen a few times when I was running too much boost (20+ psi MBC)

koncluded
10-24-2010, 07:04 PM
chipped. i usually run max 18-20psi, nothing crazy compared to what i've heard of and nowadays i mainly just daily drive so i barely go to 15psi. my car is 1998.5. ABT K04, ABT Chip, Forge 007 diverter valve. ABT exhaust, test pipe, ABT FMIC, errr those are the main engine upgrades. but yeah I think i'm running more rich than usual too so my gas mileage tanked

biketsai
10-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Hit up the Vatozone today, let me know what you find out.

walky_talky20
10-25-2010, 08:14 AM
You should buy a vag-com cable. Less than $15 shipped on ebay and the software is free. As long as you have a laptop (or can borrow one), you are good to go. It is really a indispensable tool for working on these cars. Without it you are flying blind.

docurley
10-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Check your boost gauge pipes as this can also stop boost if split or disconnected.

koncluded
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
it appears that the limp mode was associated with my oil leak -_-'. now that my boost is back, it seems i'm running super rich and blowing white smoke everywhere. where should i start. OH and when i went to autozone, the only code that came up was the o2 sensor being too hot, but i think that may be because i'm running a test pipe.