PDA

View Full Version : damn intercooler pipes keep falling off

discontained
10-24-2010, 11:17 AM
My pipes keep popping off under 5+ lbs. I need some suggestions. I have 4 ply silicone couplers with tbolt clamps. i will fix one and another will pop off then i fix that one and the previous one pops haha. Its very annoying when I wanna boost and then POP, no more boost.

The pipes dont have beads/lip on the end. SO im thinking thats the problem. I cleaned the oil off with brake kleen every time from the couplers. What are some options I got?

1) scuff the ends of the pipe with a grinder to create friction
2) hammer a lip on it with a ballpen hammer
3) weld a bead on it

Anyone have some ideas? what would be the best quickest cheapest way haha. I have access to welding stuff (Lincoln Electric MIG welder) I got the capabilities to weld aluminum or steel or whatever i want, along with Argon gas etc.

biketsai
10-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Have you reached the point where all of the pipes have popped off? For me, the same thing happened but by the time I had retightened all of them I was set. You NEED to find a way to get a lip or bead on the end. Ive even heard of people using hair spray. But best bet is to find someone/where that can lip the ends for you or weld a bead. If you have a welder, why not just weld the pipes together?

discontained
10-24-2010, 03:01 PM
because im about to upgrade to a bigger intercooler and a tad bit thicker/wider pipe. I have 2.25 on there now and im going with 2.50 when I get the new one on. I wanna keep the piping and such for my 240sx project :)

I bummed around on google and did the vicegrip, muffler clamp, and washer method. Actually worked pretty good. The only trouble was the pass side right off the turbo where it bends around the AC evap thing. Just did a 12psi run around town and its together so far. We will see how it holds up. If not im gonna weld the shit out of it and be done

chris164935
10-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Should be able to take your piping to any muffler shop and they can add a lip to them.

2001A4QUATTRO
10-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Do yourself a favor and just get the pipes beaded... My old GSX had a custom FMIC. I was boosting almost 28 lbs, but the damn hoses could pop off at any time. I had my friend weld a bead around both ends of all pipes. Never happened again. GL

discontained
10-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Just got back in from beating on the car, the lip I flared on there with the vice grips work great! Ha, win! if they do come unattached i will hit it with some row of dimes

nunya
10-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Just got back in from beating on the car, the lip I flared on there with the vice grips work great! Ha, win! if they do come unattached i will hit it with some row of dimes

Hair spray will hold things on too... Sounds dumb but works for a good seal.

--dillon