PDA

View Full Version : stumped

travisA
10-24-2010, 12:47 AM
I have a 2000 a4 1.8t and it starts for a second then dies and floods. If push it around enough I can eventually get it to start but it takes a while and when I do get it to stay running it runs like shit for a min or two before it smothes out and starts running normal

J Ozzie
10-24-2010, 04:11 AM
always before you post!

use your head

Got fuel, got spark...ok why is it doing this..

I know!, remove your spark plugs check them make sure they are fine.
Second. Make sure you dont have a crazy ass boost leak.. our cars wont run with a massive leak like a hose off or anything unless your on a different software (BAT guys)

travisA
10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Got spark! I replaced the plugs first thinking that it was the problem. Don't think I have a boost leak, it feels good once I get it running. Pulls hard when it spools. Just has the issue when I let it sit over night or sit and cool completely down. I figured out this morning if I hold the throtle down when I initially start it, it'll start and be ok after a few seconds of running rough. But Id like to figure out what's wrong cause I hate driving cars that have issues! I've done some work to it so I'm wondering if maybe I need to have my ecu chipped? I've got a k04, front mount, headder, samco induction hose, and I gutted my cat. Would any of that cause issues like this?

biketsai
10-25-2010, 07:07 AM
You need to get your car scanned for codes. What kind of K04 do you have on there? Is your car manual/tip?

4bagels
10-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Yes scan for codes. My guess is the engine coolant sensor is faulty. I suppose you could verify that by scanning for codes, and also by checking what vagcom reports for an engine temperature first thing in the morning before you start it. If that seems way off (guessing way colder) then replacing that might fix the problem.

walky_talky20
10-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Ooh, as i was reading through, my guess was coolant temp sensor as well. Do what 4bagels says. If you don't have vag-com, you can also try just unplugging the CTS to see if that helps. When unplugged it goes to a default value that should work pretty well for a normal cold start.