PDA

View Full Version : Wasnt Paying Attention When Replacing Starter

Dallas09
10-23-2010, 06:38 PM
I wasnt paying attention when I took out the starter and forgot which wires were attached to which terminals. I assume that the ground connects to the terminal with the little strap that runs from from one terminal into the solenoid? Could someone clarify that for me? Or if someone could just say which wire from where goes to the left or right terminal.

Secondly, there is this plastic piece that was underneath one of the terminals on the old starter, the new starter didnt come with it, should I swap it over to the new one or leave it? I was thinking it might insulate the positive from the chassis of the starter if the chassis is grounded? Finally, any idea why my old starter had two signal terminals, I dont believe the new one did?

guy022077
10-23-2010, 07:12 PM
correct, negative is the one with the little strap.

yes move the plastic thing onto the new one.

because you didnt get the exact same starter, you are replacing an old with a newer or new with an older, i dont remember. only one of them will work, test which one first.

SeekB00st
10-23-2010, 11:49 PM
I didn't use the plastic piece when replacing mine.
Not really too necessary. Although, If I were to do a new starter I would place it back in; the starter had already been placed on upon on my realization that the plastic piece was not.

Dallas09
10-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Cool, thanks guys.

Dallas09
10-24-2010, 10:53 AM
I cant figure this out, the wire for the ground that comes from up near the engine just wont fit onto the ground of the starter anyway I try. If I come from the top the remote terminal is in the way, and if I come from the bottom the engine is in the way. The wire has a really akward bent to it too, I feel like Im just missing something here but Ive tried to get it on for a solid hour now. Any suggestions?

guy022077
10-24-2010, 10:59 AM
hmm, the 3 wires that you have
1. comes from battery and goes to long post (pos) on the starter weird bend.
2. goes to alternator from the long post (pos) on the starter
3. and of course the trigger wire with the spade only one option for that one.

there is no wire that goes on the neg terminal. the chassis ground the starter.

Dallas09
10-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Ahhh gotchya, so both are positive wires, thanks.

walky_talky20
10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Yep. 2 positive wires. 1 from the battery, 1 to the alternator. Starter grounds through it's surface connection to the engine/transmission.

I'm sure you would've figured it out when your car burned to the ground upon hookup. All of those wires are unfused. It is pretty serious stuff.

Dallas09
10-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah I was aware they are unfused, hence why I wanted to get it right. Thanks for everyones help. Although had the one wire been able to fit on the one terminal, I might have been screwed... Good thing it didnt.

biketsai
10-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Be careful man, I almost had my car burn to pieces when I hooked the wires up wrong. Basically once I connected the battery, the wire caught fire. Use a multimeter or something.