PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a 1998 a4 2.8 quattro tomorrow...questions????????

sethlamb
10-22-2010, 03:48 PM
In the past i had a 2004 1.8t quattro. loved the car.....im in a financial bind and need a car for cash. im getting a 1998 a4 2.8 quattro. 108k on the clock. the dealership is throwing in a 24 month warranty from penn warranty group. covers up to $75/hour labor with a $100 deductable. is there anything i should be waery of or look at when i see the car tomorrow? also is there anyway for me to confirm the timing belt has been changed by the previous owner of the vehicle. any help would be great before i make the purchase.

euroazfck
10-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Good luck on the buy!

walky_talky20
10-22-2010, 05:24 PM
You can look for a marking under the hood. Usually a sticker or a mileage written in paint marker are left under the hood after a t-belt job. You should make sure both the t-belt and water pump were done. Also, you should check for leaks on the far outside edgs of the valve covers. This is pretty visible by looking under the hood near the frame rails. If there is oil everywhere, it will stink like burning oil after every drive because the oil leaks directly on the exhaust manifolds.

Also, the rear of the passenger side bank and the front of the driver side bank should be checked for oil leakage. This is where the cam chain tensioners are located and they are famous for leaking (from their gaskets and seal plugs).

All of this stuff usually starts leaking quite a bit after 100k. It is usually advisable to do all these gaskets along with the t-belt/water pump job, but nobody ever seems to do it.

Evidence of the t-belt change should be obvious by looking at the belt itself (requires removing 1 upper belt cover). Text on the belt should be easily readable and not heavily worn off. At that mileage, the belt (if changed) should probably have about 20k miles or less on it. If the belt is original, most of the text will likely be very faded and cracking on the belt surface may be seen. You may have to turn the engine over a bit to get a look at the text/manufacturer logos to see this.