PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing Gauge Failure....

RoadRage
10-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Yesterday it started happening. My gas gauge now bounces around at random from the correct gas level, to completely empty.

What are the areas I should be looking at for the problem/solution?

fuse?
wiring?
gauge cluster?

EDIT:

after searching around, it seems it could be the fuel sending unit, which is accessed from the trunk? Someone mentioned a write up on replacing it, but I can't seem to find it.

does anyone have it bookmarked?

zrowcool
10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
sending unit. wires get corroded to the sending unit and the level bounces all over.

MikeD7
10-22-2010, 11:03 AM
EDIT:

after searching around, it seems it could be the fuel sending unit, which is accessed from the trunk? Someone mentioned a write up on replacing it, but I can't seem to find it.

does anyone have it bookmarked?

the sending unit or the fuel pump? the sending unit is way down in the tank and the fuel pump is one accessible thru the trunk. Check your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission. I can almost guarantee that is the problem

Poopie
10-22-2010, 12:11 PM
like mike says, if your speedo is wrong, so is your gas gauge. you can clean up the contacts on the level sender and replace that thing corroded wire on the level arm and 90% of the time this fixes it and you save a couple bucks. These things are so simple there isn't much to go wrong unless their is a break in the bank of resistors

Avant Nate
10-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Its the fuel sending unit guaranteed, happened to mine. easy fix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGxnilTkDNw

walky_talky20
10-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Nice video Nate!

capea4
10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Also the VSS in the tranny. If its bad it can cause the same issue.

RoadRage
10-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the replies and the video link. I like how you cut yourself off at the end. Very nice.

My speedo is working fine, so I don't know why it would be the VSS? But I'll try this solder/cleaning and see what happens.

Again, thanks for the replies.

99blueb5
10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
the guage will change depending on your average speed vs mpg. say you were doing 60mph for like 20min, the gas guage would go up because it will be reading your range for getting that kind of mileage, so in the city it will read more towards whats actually in the tank, on the highway it compensates for your avereage speed and mileage, i would put my money on the sending unit thoug