PDA

View Full Version : hit a curb, now flap flap flap sound

Tomm
10-22-2010, 12:15 AM
backing up, i hit a curb with my driver rear wheel. Not going fast, but enough for the car to jump up and come down with a bang. I felt very bad about it, looked over the rear muffler and the wheel for dents, looked ok.

but driving away, there was a sort of flap flap flap sound. I looked at the wheel in question and it looked ok, but driving on i realised that the sound is actually comming from the diametrically oposite wheel, passenger front.

now, it kind of sounds like when kids put cardboard against the spokes of their bicyclewheels to get that noice. maybe that's not the best description because it's really not that loud or intense, but it's definitely a flaping sound, and directly related to travel speed.

the sound comes on, when i slow down, breaking or just rolling towards a red light etc. it's never there when picking up speed or keeping speed.

When I'm in reverse, the oposite it true... picking up speed the sound is there, but as soon as i slow down or brake it dissapears.

another perculiarity is that the sound was louder, more often occuring and in general more ominous sounding right after the accident. after i did some more driving it lessened, thankfully but it will still come back somtimes. and in reverse it's still kind of loud.

Just did a quick inspection, checking that the wheel was not loose or anything and shining a flashlight in behind trying to get a look, it was night and it still is. tomorrow I will have a closer look.

does anyone have any idea what i should look for? All these symptoms are quite specific, so if anyone has experienced similar it would probably help alot.

juttin3
10-22-2010, 05:21 AM
I have a tick sound too and I can't seem to find source of issue. Its annoying cause like u said it happens when u slow down and brake. Sometimes worse when I just start driving on cold start. Its like a wrrrring /ticking sound for me. I think its either axle or bearing. Idk my bearing was supposedly changed 3 month ago on wheel where noise comes from.

Congratulati0ns
10-22-2010, 05:48 AM
i had a ticking sound like that to, sounded like a sprinklers clicking when its moving, and it was my wheel bearing.

Tomm
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
well, would an incident like this make a bearing or an axle fail? because it was the wheel in the other end so it's wierd in that sense. the bearing in question has 243k miles on it, so the time would have come, but I'm certain that this had to do with the incident, because the noice didn't exist before that and started right after.

will give the wheel a spinn and try to locate something.

yea, sprinkler could be another way of describing it. If it's a bearing it's not so bad actually, I know a guy who does it really quick for 60 bucks. could be something to hope for.

shokwav09
10-23-2010, 05:10 AM
sounds like you threw a belt in your tire.

SeekB00st
10-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Maybe someone put pennies in your tire.

Don't laugh. I've known of it happening.

sa_seahawker
10-24-2010, 01:57 AM
you check to make sure you didn't back over and trap a Chilean coal miner in your wheel well? LOL [:D]

(too soon?) [>_<]

mikeyz3
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
ZING! HAhA

sawyer13
11-03-2010, 11:37 PM
it sounds like your inner fender has come loose on the back side of your right front tire causing it to rub on the tire

wildbill
11-04-2010, 01:09 AM
its the beef curtains