PDA

View Full Version : My Repair sheet, any recommendations?

skaper
10-20-2010, 08:17 PM
This is the list of things wrong with my suspension when taken in for a PPI (after I bought it)... and the quotes they gave me.

-LF outer tie rod end has torn boot with massive play ~275
-The RFLL control arm ball joint has play ~290
-The LFLL control arm has torn boot ~290

I am curious to know if I should go through with the repairs, do it myself or if there are upgrades a noobie audi owner should be aware of? Also I plan on purchasing the ST Coilovers within the next month or so. I have yet to use the search feature on this topic cause I am running a bit low on time right now but plan on doing some research tomorrow or so. Thank you for any input.

Avery

T0mat3
10-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Get a control arm kit online. Same thing for tie rod ends. A tie rod end kit is like 50 for both online and like 500 for the hole control arm kit.

Outlawjones
10-20-2010, 08:24 PM
You might as well do a whole control arm kit! Look up a DIY, it's not that bad.

I posted a little too late! ^^ X2

walky_talky20
10-20-2010, 08:33 PM
If you are planning on keeping the car for a while (several years), it may be wise to buy the entire control arm kit as they will all eventually fail. One after another. The bottom ones aren't too bad to do, so you may want to do those now yourself. The top ones can be a bit of a pain as the shock mount has to come out a bit and you have to mess with the infamous pinch bolt. You may want to save the top ones for when you put your lowering springs or coilovers in.

You are lowering the car, correct? lol.

Tie rods are pretty easy too. The loan-a-tool programs at advance/autozone are helpful when doing this stuff on your own. They have pickle forks and ball joint tools out the you-know to borrow for free.

If you want to drive this car for a while, you might as well start DIY-ing it now. These cars are expensive turds to own if you can't do at least some of the maintenance and repairs yourself. Expensive turds...

As you can tell already I'm sure. You have just 3 of the 12 (!) ball joints up front that need attention and the repairs are nearing $1000 pretty quick.

Matt C
10-20-2010, 08:56 PM
This is the list of things wrong with my suspension when taken in for a PPI (after I bought it)... and the quotes they gave me.Avery

It's not a PPI if it was conducted after you bought it. API? Either way, that is all DIY stuff that you can tackle on the weekend. Hit up your regional forum for some wrenchers...

skaper
10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I just read the DIY and it looks pretty straight forward. The Ocap kit was used in the DIY and seems pretty reasonably priced at $469. Are there any other kits that would be better then the Ocap?

And yes walky_talky20 I will mos def be lowering my car. Also I think I will save the tops for when I do the coilovers, good idea.

walky_talky20
10-20-2010, 09:07 PM
FCP Groton has probably the most inexpensive all-inclusive kit at $299. All the arms, tie rod ends, and even the bolt kit. They have several different kits from the regular to the updated "S4" version (slightly firmer bushings or some-such) to the heavy duty Meyle kit.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/14094/nm/Audi_A4_A6_VW_Passat_Control_Arms_Kit_/category_id/181

Some people have great luck with them, others have had issues. The best part is all their parts have a lifetime warranty, so you only ever buy one kit. Pretty cool. I've talked with them before and got one of their kits when they ran a special. Seemed like pretty nice quality to me. And the guy I talked to was pretty cool too.

skaper
10-20-2010, 09:16 PM
I like the price that's for sure. Especially since I need to get my season pass for Hood still.

skaper
10-20-2010, 09:24 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336019-Official-FCP-Groton-Control-Arm-Kit

Whoa. I am going to go with option three. Thanks for all the info on here walky_ I owe you!

rAphb0y
10-21-2010, 01:14 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336019-Official-FCP-Groton-Control-Arm-Kit

Whoa. I am going to go with option three. Thanks for all the info on here walky_ I owe you!

Not to thread jack or anything but I heard FCP groton CA kits have been failing after 1k-1,500k .. can anyone chime in with this issue?
Only wondering because I'm about to grab a set myelf.

MCKAYIVA4
10-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Ive had my fcp kit for about 12k with no issues, Everything is still tight and no torn boots. It comes with new hardware and everything.

weaselciuy
10-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Buy the whole KIT , replacing only the really used parts wont help much. In short time the others will break too, buying separatly costs more.

Also think if one arm is good and the one connected to it is bad, the new one will wear much faster as it supports more forces as the bad ones cant bush and sents it.
Its also a road hazzard, bad arms - really bad suspension and steering. Dont mess around with the arms. especially tie rods