PDA

View Full Version : Frankenturbo or scroll products? My k03s is on its way out

juxsa
10-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Looks like the k03s turbo on my 01 quattro is on its way out. Looking to upgrade to a modified K04 turbo. I currently have a revo stg1 tune with forge DV and a 2.5in exhaust with the cat delete pipe. Any one here have any experience with either one of these guys? I have talked with both of them over the phone today for about 30-45 min each and they were both polite and knowledgeable. The scroll turbo that was recommended to me was the k04sp54x. I am concerned about tuning since the revo options for the 01 are very limited.

I still havent written off doing gt28rs setup but lack of funds is the issue.

austinjmiller
10-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I went with a GT2X just because I got a super good deal... If I wouldnt have found it I would have looked at the FrankenTurbo K04 kit!

SykoraA4
10-19-2010, 03:11 PM
I've got a blown k04 in the classifieds i need to get rid of that's perfect for a project like this. I was going to go with the SP51 a while ago, but it never panned out for me. and for what its worth.. I had a ATW with a speedtuning flash, and they seemed like they'd be able to modify their k04 software to run the sp51. I want to say i'd bet revo might be ale to do something like that too. I mean, if it comes down to it couldn't you tweek things with leminwinks?

Dynamite
10-19-2010, 03:45 PM
There is a guy on here with an 01 that has a franken, and there is a big thread in the b6 forum.
here is what one guy got on a uni 2+, water/meth and a stock SMIC
They seem to like them but its bent rods on at lest one car.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6052/unitronicstage2dyno1091.jpg

juxsa
10-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I read a little on the B6 thread but there is alot info but I am just unsure about the tuning info because its for the b6 vs the b5... It seems to me that the scroll turbo is close to the gt2x (unsure of model) so maybe revo makes a tune for an 01 that will work with that turbo which will work well with either the scroll turbo or the frankenturbo

juxsa
10-19-2010, 04:41 PM
BTW do you know who it is with the 01 who has the frankenturbo?

Dynamite
10-19-2010, 06:12 PM
I had a look I cant find them now, maybe im going crazy, or just spending to much time in the b6 forum lol sorry about that

EDIT found it its Nebone hope he dosnt mind me posting that
even found a thread with his mods in it http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/390623-My-current-setup.-Stage-2?highlight=
although now that I read it he is running a k03 hybrid, it sounds like a different turbo from the f4h, someone else might have to chip in on this one and confirm.

austinjmiller
10-19-2010, 06:52 PM
This ones a B6 A4 and this is what the dyno sheet above is from.. Hes running UniTronic stage 2+ I think... Im just getting ready to install the UniTronic BT 415cc set up on the GT2X... Everyone says it should run good..
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/326446-Frankenturbo-F4h-l-Audi-A4-Quattro

Doug@FrankenTurbo
10-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Here is Nebone's thread (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/390623-My-current-setup.-Stage-2) for his Unitronic Stage 2+ setup. I've exchanged emails with him and he's really pleased with the file's performance.

juxsa
10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
hmmm looks like unitronic is going to be the way to go... Doug/Slappy I can't remember if it was you or if it was the scroll guy was saying this but these modified k04 turbos are similar to the gt2x so a tune setup for that turbo should work well??? reason I ask is because I know REVO has a tune for the gt28rs so maybe they have a tune for the gt2x which would save me the hassle and a good chunk of change having to drive to atlanta and to get different company's flash

juxsa
10-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Am I correct in assuming they are similar to the gt2x and that a tune for a gt2x should work pretty well?

Doug@FrankenTurbo
10-20-2010, 07:36 AM
I think the "GT28 Revo file" is their 550cc file. Why not ask them if you can run the smaller GT2X on that file? If they say yes then you can run a hybrid as well (actually, the GT2X, like all Eliminators, is basically a Garrett hybrid anyway).

juxsa
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
looks like I will be giving them a call in the next day or 2.. Thanks slappy

juxsa
10-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Just got off the phone with REVO... he was saying that the 4h-t is closer to the gt28rs thant the gt2x. All they have is a 550 injector file but it might work. I'm going to talk with unitronic too, looking at the dyno on the frankenturbo site it was using a stage2+ with 380 injectors and that was pretty impressive. the 550 injector file that revo has might be to much... this is looking better and better though

juxsa
10-20-2010, 11:05 AM
also... any one know where i could get a deal on some 550 injectors?

austinjmiller
10-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Well thats funny becuase it almost mirrors a GT2X dyno sheet.... Weird... Im only running 415cc with my GT2X and that K04 isnt bigger....

juxsa
10-20-2010, 12:13 PM
the revo guy was saying the gt2x is about the same size as a k04 and from the size of the compressor wheel on the frankenturbo its slightly larger than that... (maybe 'im the one confused on that)I may need to switch to a unitronic tune since it looks like they have more options. Likely I will run the turbo with my stg1 revo tune and just take it in for a few adjustments and figure out what I am going to do after that. Because the frankenturbo is going to be moving more air than the k03s it should liven it up a bit. Either way, when I get the car tuned for bigger injectors I will need to look at a better IC. Now I am just trying to find a used bigger SMIC for cheap...

Nateness
10-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't recommend running KO3S software with a higher flowing F4HL. Sounds like it would be possible to run lean...

Is it possible to datalog the AFR on the '01 ECU using VAGCOM?

Kevace1
10-20-2010, 12:39 PM
sorry to sound noobish here, but we can fit a bigger smic without any major mods in the stock location of our regular smic?

Kevace1
10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
is the franken turbo considered a bolt on like the k04 and gt2x?

juxsa
10-20-2010, 12:49 PM
yeah, google it... there are a few companies that make them but they are a little pricey, hence why I would rather try and find a used one.

Dynamite
10-20-2010, 01:18 PM
its funny the revo guys are saying that, because heres a overlay slappy did in the b6 thread, atp gt2x on cdn20valves uni2+ f4h
http://frankenturbo.com/web-content/image_hosting/F4H-L_vsGT2X-dyno-(10.9.10).jpg

ZimbutheMonkey
10-20-2010, 02:21 PM
The revo guy is smoking crack. The F4-l flows almost exactly the same as a GT2X. The next closest is a GT28r, although I would say that the F4-l flows a little less than the 28r. Although it's a potent little turbo, it just does not have enough room to flow what a GT28RS will. Alternately, a K04-023 from the TT is similar in terms of ability. However I would wager that a F4-l has a bit of an edge on it.

Doug@FrankenTurbo
10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
You know I'm a little surprised to hear Revo said what they did as well. Because as you can see the similarity really is to the GT2X. Frankly it's an under-rated turbo which is hampered by its cost-per-horsepower and its belatedly-corrected flaw of not being water-cooled. So its only been since a certain little ole hybrid came along that people are waking up to the fact that if "inappropriate" software works for it, then the GT2X ought to be able to hitch a ride as well. You know, my guess is that a GT2X would be great on Uni's hopped-up Stage 2+. It spools super-fast. In fact it's faster than any 300bhp turbo out there. and its strong through the mid-range as well, thanks to its generous turbine housing. It's only at the upper ranges where it starts to run out of gas. That's where Frank has got it beat. But it puts up a heck of a fight! Check it:

http://frankenturbo.com/image_hosting/FrankenTurbo_F4HvsGT2X.jpg

Dynamite
10-20-2010, 07:07 PM
The new versions of the gt2x are even water cooled now

juxsa
10-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Yep, bolt on and go... Looks like I will likely be going with this setup on my 01. After install I will have my local REVO dealer adjust the stg1 tune that I already have and over the summer when I have the money do a bigger SMIC or maybe a FMIC and switch the tune over to something else...

is the franken turbo considered a bolt on like the k04 and gt2x?

juxsa
10-21-2010, 01:44 PM
I wonder if revo will send me their boost request/actual numbers for their stg1 and stg 3 tunes???

juxsa
11-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I was reading on another forum that the original exhaust manifold had some fitment issues... will I still need to grind on it or is there a new casting that addressed that issue?

kraylon
11-18-2010, 01:12 AM
i just got my franken turbo from slappy yesterday its beautiful turbo cant wait till i get hte time to install it.
my k03s died on me little bastard!!!

My mod list as far as engine goes:
01 Audi A4 Quattro, Mystery chip, Neuspeed exhaust, Atp test pipe, Forge 007 DV and Unos Mbc, 034 street motor, trans & diff mounts, diy fmic, kintec motorsport high flow exhaust manifold, adj, fpr, larger fuel rail, atw coil packs.

Now i just got to get info on unitronics suggested programming for this turbo and my car so i can start getting the needed fuel injectors and such together.

Dynamite
11-18-2010, 07:24 PM
cool cant wait to see how it goes

juxsa
11-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Pix???? keep us posted on how the install goes. Details my fried details. I wanna know about fitment, if the oil lines worked, what you had to do... you get the gist.

i just got my franken turbo from slappy yesterday its beautiful turbo cant wait till i get hte time to install it.
my k03s died on me little bastard!!!

My mod list as far as engine goes:
01 Audi A4 Quattro, Mystery chip, Neuspeed exhaust, Atp test pipe, Forge 007 DV and Unos Mbc, 034 street motor, trans & diff mounts, diy fmic, kintec motorsport high flow exhaust manifold, adj, fpr, larger fuel rail, atw coil packs.

Now i just got to get info on unitronics suggested programming for this turbo and my car so i can start getting the needed fuel injectors and such together.