PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

nick b
10-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey guys!

I'm a new member on audizine as well as a new member to the Audi community. I'm a 21 year old college student at Kansas University, majoring in advertising.

I just sold my 1995 BMW M3 and bought a 99.5 A4 2.8l. Black, 5-speed and winter package, with a light grey interior (not sure on the color code, haven't memorized them yet [:)])

I just got it about 2 weeks ago with 89,000 miles on it, and paid $5700. The seller wanted $7k, which was right at NADA/KBB value, but I had a PPI done and found it needed a few maintenance items so I lowballed him!

So far, I've done: 20% tint, timing belt/tensioner, valve cover gaskets, serpentine belt, and cam position sensor gaskets to minimize potential oil leakage. I also did a coolant/fluid flush and an oil change. If I learned one thing from wrenching on BMW's, it's to do maintenance first and mods later! My next purchase will be a set of either all-seasons or winter tires for the stock wheels. Surprisingly, we get a lot of snow here in Kansas, and I drive back and forth from KS to Colorado to ski a lot.

My mod plans include:
wheels (considering either A8 fat fives or a 5-spoke sport looking set)
snowboard rack
coilovers (I'd LOVE to hear feedback on what sets you all like, and if anyone has a lightly used set, PM me!)
control arms
body work and a paint respray in black (notice the front has paint peeled from a clear bra)
get some black e-codes and a 35w HID kit, 6000k
do the fog light HID mod, probably 4300k

Here's a pic, sorry for the crappy cell camera. I'll also post a pic of my old M3 - loved it, put tons of work into it, but it had 160k on it and it was time to get a lower mileage car that was a bit more practical and had 4 doors!

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/nickboehm89/IMG00112-20101017-1545.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/nickboehm89/M3%20pictures/photo-8.jpg

pipe7284
10-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Welcome, nice M3....and make sure you search the forum first before posting anything....there are alot of answers on here to answer most of your questions regarding the B5 a4.
there is plenty info on coilovers
there is plenty info on headlights
there is plenty info on HID
you name it....there is plenty of info on here.

welcome aboard...enjoy your stay!!!!

mashout
10-17-2010, 02:19 PM
welcome

nick b
10-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Welcome, nice M3....and make sure you search the forum first before posting anything....there are alot of answers on here to answer most of your questions regarding the B5 a4.
there is plenty info on coilovers
there is plenty info on headlights
there is plenty info on HID
you name it....there is plenty of info on here.

welcome aboard...enjoy your stay!!!!

Oh, I know all about searching, don't worry. Bimmerforums were nazis about searching, haha. I just like hearing feedback if anyone is bored and interested in a personal reply.

biketsai
10-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Nice M3! And welcome to the boards.

Jw, why did you switch over?

nick b
10-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Nice M3! And welcome to the boards.

Jw, why did you switch over?

My M3 had 160k on it, 2 doors, and was RWD.

I drive to and from Colorado quite a bit to snowboard, and I needed a smaller car that could carry 3-4 people, get up into the mountains, and got better gas mileage.

That requirement left me with either a Subaru Impreza or an A4, and I've always been into German engineering. My good buddy has an A4 Avant that I've driven a million times, and I always really enjoyed, so I searched for a fairly priced lower mileage black one for a few months.

I found this in Denver (I live near Kansas City), flew there one way, picked up a season pass for Copper Mountain, and drove home all in one day!

T0mat3
10-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Nice car, but you didnt get a very big deal, did you.

nick b
10-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Nice car, but you didnt get a very big deal, did you.

Well, this A4 with all its options is valued by NADA at $7000 and KBB at $6800, and I paid $5700 for it, so I would say I did fine.

But really, in the end, all of us car modders lose money in the long run anyways haha

T0mat3
10-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Yea, i guess they are more expensive in your area, because for a grand more, I could get a b6 here.

nick b
10-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Yea, i guess they are more expensive in your area, because for a grand more, I could get a b6 here.

Crazy! Yeah, B6's are still at least $8000 for higher mileage ones, $9500 for lower mileage.

I also live in an area (the Midwest) where domestic cars dominate the market, and Audi's are less common. There is, I believe, only 1 Audi dealership in my home city of 600,000 people. I searched local Craigslist for 2 months before deciding to buy in Denver, Colorado, which is right next to the Rocky Mountains..hence, many more Audis and AWD cars.

T0mat3
10-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Yea, well, its snow country up here, and i was looking on kijiji before your thread, and i saw a b6 quattro (y) automatic (n) with 130000 km which is about the same as your millage. Its was a 2002.

nick b
10-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Yea, well, its snow country up here, and i was looking on kijiji before your thread, and i saw a b6 quattro (y) automatic (n) with 130000 km which is about the same as your millage. Its was a 2002.

Buy it! I do like B6's quite a bit, but I'm very happy with my car. It should last me 5 years until I am more financially comfortable in a 'real' job and am able to afford a new car.

euroazfck
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Nice,good to have another member with a 2.8!

Dynamite
10-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Nice m3, always liked that shape of them, gona get one one day like so many other things lol. Welcome

nick b
10-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Nice m3, always liked that shape of them, gona get one one day like so many other things lol. Welcome

They are very fun cars, incredible handling and 240 hp makes for a very fun little DD.

Thanks for the kind words, guys [:)]

coolgraymemo
10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
welcome.

nice m3 btw...