PDA

View Full Version : hole in crossover pipe spraying oil

c0rrup
10-15-2010, 09:12 PM
For some reason the previous owners used a self-tapping screw to attach the skid plate right into the crossover pipe! Now I have oil spraying out of my crossover pipe which leads me to believe that my turbo seals are shot?

Also, would this hole cause a boost leak? What are some good ways to patch it up? I guess I can just weld it shut real fast. My car also has some blue smoke, which I think is also related to my turbo seals.

Thanks.

walky_talky20
10-15-2010, 10:05 PM
It is normal to have some oil in that pipe as your PCV system dumps into the turbo inlet anyway. If you are getting blue smoke, though, you are probably right about the turbo seals.

As for the pipe, yeah, a leak in the charge pipe is called a boost leak. You should get it welded up.

blacka4
10-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Well, I had Blue smoke under WOT at shifts. I did my timing belt and when I took the crossover pipe off I had oil (about.5 qt) come out of the pipe. After I did my belt I took the car to the dealer (I was still Under warranty) told then the oil seals where shot. after the tech looked at the car they agreed.

and the hole in the pipe would cause some boost loss but it would be small

walky_talky20
10-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow, half a quart? Yeah, I'd say the front oil seal is done. Any help with the turbo under warranty?

Effects of the hole would depend on the size. It isn't good for the turbo, though. Any extra air escaping means higher turbo rpms to get to the desired boost pressure. Not so bad on a stock tune as it can afford some more rpms anyway. Not saying that caused your turbo problems, but it didn't help it anyway.

c0rrup
10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Would having bad turbo seals produce a smell too?

walky_talky20
10-16-2010, 04:58 PM
If you are emitting blue smoky exhaust, it will have oily smell to it, yes.

wildbill
10-16-2010, 06:47 PM
that smell could be as simple as a vc gasket leaking and the oil being guided by the heat shield to the cat then burning. pop the turbo inlet hose and look in the hose going out for oil, if its seals are shot youll see it all over in that thing. walky talky is correct, blue smoke is a good sign

c0rrup
10-16-2010, 08:21 PM
I replaced my VC gasket, I will check the inlet hose tomorrow and report back, thanks.