PDA

View Full Version : intercooler Q thread, a bit different air/water

Dynamite
10-15-2010, 06:57 PM
So I have been putting off going FMIC for a long time, for cost reasons. I cant get an s4/rs4 bumper here without importing it, thats over usd1000 inc shipping +15% when it lands, comes out at an insane price in my money anyway. and The same problem with getting a FMIC that will fit inside the stock bumper, would have to import it ($250 in shipping to import a cx racing kit) because everyone here runs wrxs skiders hondas etc so they just have big ugly ones hanging off the front, and no bumper and I dont want to cut mine up.
So anyway, I have been looking at getting an air water intercooler, I know its virtually unheard of in the audi community, but I dont really see why.
I know the pros and cons in theory, higher weight, more complex, PITA if you let them get heat soaked etc. But anyway, I have been looking at one from frozenboost.com with a core 11 by 9 by 3.5" will I be able to fit that in the SMIC location, with custom fab brackets etc?
I am also looking at using a 16 fin oil cooler to cool the water and the windscreen washer tank as a storage tank. The 16 fin coolers are slightly under 13 by 6 by 2" wide so fit inside the stock bumper without trimming. I wont have the space to run fans on them though.
Has anyone had experience with air/water? and does anyone see any issues with what I have described above? strangely enough this is the cheapest option by a quite a bit for me.
Cheers for any useful input guys.

2001A4QUATTRO
10-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Interested to know about this as well.

ApeX-CrZn
10-16-2010, 01:43 PM
This Build is using an air to water IC http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/364704-Big-Boost-s-VR6-BAT-Build!

v dub'n
10-16-2010, 08:11 PM
i want to build an air to water set up for my audi, had one that i put together for my golf, short plumbing and stealthy. and below ambient temps.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r272/lio_06/DSC00041.jpg?t=1287284943

Dynamite
10-16-2010, 08:18 PM
a little more of an extreme build than I was going for.... very impressive, cant believe I havnt stumbled across it before in my AZ travels.
Yeah if/when i do it then ill do a bit of a write up, probably not a full diy unless there is a demand for it though.
Im really looking for experience from people as to the drive ability on the street, the size I will be needing for the water cooler and if I can fit the IC in the stock location.

Dynamite
10-16-2010, 08:20 PM
vdubin,
What was it like on the street? is heat soak a problem? did you use fans on your water cooler? what size was the water cooler and the IC its self?

biketsai
10-16-2010, 08:33 PM
You can also get a meth kit.

Dynamite
10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
yea I had thought of that one as well, if I couldn't work this one out then was thinking maybe meth and water sprayers onto the SMIC. Not a big fan of meth, got no reason for it though so id get over it if it was the choice lol. how much of a gain do you get running meth with no tune for it though?

v dub'n
10-16-2010, 09:14 PM
vdubin,
What was it like on the street? is heat soak a problem? did you use fans on your water cooler? what size was the water cooler and the IC its self?
i never finished that car, ended up pulling the motor out and putting it in a b5 with a bigger turbo.

somebody5788
10-17-2010, 08:31 AM
yea I had thought of that one as well, if I couldn't work this one out then was thinking maybe meth and water sprayers onto the SMIC. Not a big fan of meth, got no reason for it though so id get over it if it was the choice lol. how much of a gain do you get running meth with no tune for it though?

You can use meth 2 ways. For octane boost and for lower IAC's. It is all dependent on where you put it in on the system. The farther away from the throttle body the more it will be for lower intake temperature.

Dynamite
10-17-2010, 06:19 PM
hmm true, I guess it might be worth a shot then, although looking at the prices its much cheaper to go with the air/water and see if it works. I cant remember, is it snow or devils own that makes the better kits now days, didnt the owner of one leave and start the other or something?

bmarshall
10-17-2010, 08:08 PM
One of our boys in Aus has done this to his 90.
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php/15931-Turbo-90Q!!/page12

ZimbutheMonkey
10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
hmm true, I guess it might be worth a shot then, although looking at the prices its much cheaper to go with the air/water and see if it works. I cant remember, is it snow or devils own that makes the better kits now days, didnt the owner of one leave and start the other or something?

Go with Devil's own.

JEmm
10-17-2010, 11:03 PM

I would go with the snow stage 3 (runs off your ecu based on requested boost I believe). Have 2 friends running the system and they love it.

Dynamite
10-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks bmarshall, Im a member over there as well, so ill have a good look through that thread when i get the change and maybe PM the guy, it looks like a nice project on a budget.
Hmm and I got 2 answers on the meth, might have to start a pole. is there any reason to go with one over the other? if its just for cooling then surely just running it off an external MAP sensor and starting full flow at x psi would be enough? From what I have seen I think I might pull the trigger on the air/water and be the ginnypig for it here. Just have to wait for some funds to clear.

Sales@RAI
10-18-2010, 03:53 PM
For a street car, AW is not optimal. At the track however it's a different story

Dynamite
10-18-2010, 04:57 PM
^^ could you elaborate as to why?
I have seen posts saying its good for street bad for track, bad for street good for track, its just good and its just bad all around the web. I can see it would be good for drag as you can dump ice into it or something even colder before a run, but on a circuit or rally why would it be good as a pose to bad on the street? It is predominantly a DD making maybe 6 trips to the track a year at the most. I dont sit in traffic much either mainly highway driving.