PDA

View Full Version : 2001 A4 1.8T quattro

wagoonA4
10-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey whats up am new to all this i have never had an audi this is a big change from what am use to driveing and building. I have a small oil leak behind the valve cover.It looks like its comeing from were the timeing chain is i just wanted to know if there is any way to change that seal with out takeing everything apart and if it is something commen for the audi a4 1.8t awd to have this problem thank you very much.. for your help from

Bvulic
10-14-2010, 07:44 PM
yea man real easy to change. Just buy a valve cover gasket for your specific engine type, and make sure it comes with the o rings around the spark plugs. And then just remove the valve cover, and take off the old gasket and set the new one in with a few drops of silicone on the corners to keep it in place good luck!

walky_talky20
10-14-2010, 07:56 PM
If it is just coming from the back of the valve cover it is very likely to be leaking from the cam chain tensioner gasket. There is a thin metal gasket and a half-moon shaped plug situated under it. The little half-moon plug is the source of most of the oil. You can get a pretty good look at it with a small mirror.

It isn't too hard to change either. Valve cover comes off, then 4 torx bolts and the tensioner is loose. It is helpful to have the tensioner compression tool, but it can be done without it. I would recommend getting one as it is enough of a pain as it is. With the tensioner compressed and raised up, you will have *just* enough room to slip the gasket and the half-moon plug out and put the new items in place. You definitely want to change the valve cover gasket at the same time as well.

For a first timer I think the whole ordeal would take the better part of a Sunday afternoon. Probably around 3 hours start to finish. Make sure you have a good mirror and flashlight to look at things. There are write-ups on this, too. Here you go:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/275895-How-to-1.8T-Cam-Chain-Tensioner-Gasket-replacement