PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Help. 2.8 12v

JensenB
10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I just picked up a Timing Belt kit, among other things, from ECS tuning (Wow! what a great site, quality parts cheaper than ebays) I was wondering if anyone has a link of some detailed instructions for the install? Also, will I absolutely NEED the camlock tool, or other special tools to do this job? Was also wondering if it is possible to pull the motors on these cars without having to evac the AC? Thanks for the info![:)]

quattro004
10-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I just picked up a Timing Belt kit, among other things, from ECS tuning (Wow! what a great site, quality parts cheaper than ebays) I was wondering if anyone has a link of some detailed instructions for the install? Also, will I absolutely NEED the camlock tool, or other special tools to do this job? Was also wondering if it is possible to pull the motors on these cars without having to evac the AC? Thanks for the info![:)]

I've done two of these on this motor now and it is not too bad. A search on on here, quattroworld or audiworld should find you a decent write up. I know I have looked at them myself in the past. I have done the change with and without the tools although if I were to have one of the too I would get the crank lock as it just makes it easier to keep thinks from spinning when putting the new belt on. Get a few bolts about 8-10 inches in length to allow you to put the front end into the service position. This will give you the room needed to do everything. I am assuming the kit came with a new water pump and thermostat as it would be a good idea to do these while you have everything apart.

Just make sure you mark everything on the old and new belts and somewhere on each came after getting everything at top dead center and you really can't go wrong with the timing. Also, a Bentley or Hanes repair manual is probably the best tool to have for this. Especially for your first time.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

walky_talky20
10-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Yep, did one of these 12v's a few weeks ago. The special tools are not needed unless you are changing the cam seals (almost never necessary). As with all t-belt jobs, just mark the old belt and gears, transfer the marks to the new belt with accuracy, and install new belt. Make sure you do the water pump and all the rollers too. Tensioner is manual, so no hydraulic component to worry about.

Actually did head gaskets and even shaved the heads all without removing the cam gears or using the special cam/crank lock tools.

JensenB
10-13-2010, 10:06 PM
..Well, that's a relief that I don't need the special tools. The kit I bought does come with the water pump and stat, I'd never do a TB without those. I'm actually going to be doing the install on the spare motor from my parts car, and I will just do the TB when the motor is out of the car. I'm still wondering if it is necessary to evac my AC system when I swap motors? Is there anything else I should look for or replace when doing the swap? Thanks guys