PDA

View Full Version : This might be disasterous.

Polski
10-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Long story short, i was doing a U-turn and cars were coming quickly from the other side.
So i was in 1rst gear and gave it a bit too much gas and the car drifted.
After i straighten it out, i realized that when i gave the car gas, it dosent pull like before.
For example, when the car is in 5th gear and i floor it, the rpm will go up but the car wont pull.
As if i had the clutch down while giving it gas...
At W.O.T. it does it on all gears.
I have a bad feeling that it has something to do with the drivetrain or the torsen, i hope im wrong.

The car pulls normally if i drive conservatively, its really when i give it more gas.
All gears shift normally.
Turbo boosts fine.

1997 a4 1.8t quattro

Thanks for the input.

your daddy
10-12-2010, 06:57 PM
your car was pissed you spelled disastrous wrong. :)

seanj130
10-12-2010, 07:02 PM
clutch? i think so. im also drinking four loko right now.

Polski
10-12-2010, 07:04 PM
But each gear pops in no problem, and off starts everything is smooth also.

DRock3d
10-12-2010, 07:08 PM

Nasty horse piss

Racerx220
10-12-2010, 07:11 PM
when the clutch wears it normally slips in 5th gear and so on

Lazer Viking
10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
at a complete stop put the car in 3rd gear and try to take off, if it slowly takes off then its not your clutch.. if it just sits there and dosent go anywhere, your clutch is toast

Watson
10-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Its most likely your clutch slipping, if you floor it and rpms go up before your car starts moving but comes back and grabs than its your clutch, be very gentle on it cause once its starts slipping it goes fast.

Polski
10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I just took off on 3rd gear from a complete stop on flat ground with no problem.
Does that rule the clutch out?

Watson
10-12-2010, 08:21 PM
No it does not, go for a drive, be in a low RPM in 5th gear(not too low) than try and punch it, if your tach(RPMS) go up before grabbing the car than your clutch is on your way out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Wdij2-YDU

Polski
10-12-2010, 08:24 PM
That video pretty much sums it up...but i'm getting that in 2nd, 3rd,4th and 5th gears...

adr3naline fix
10-12-2010, 08:37 PM
your clutch is fried. No doubt

Watson
10-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Con:clutch is toast
Pro:nice new clutch soon
Con:boring breakin period
Pro:Fun....Profit

smoker
10-12-2010, 11:10 PM
your clutch is fried. No doubt

Fo sho. On the plus side, a clutch job on our cars is not hard at all, considering they're awd.

Polski
10-13-2010, 07:23 AM
So can i drive it until i can't go into gear anymore?
I dont exactly have ~$800 right now for a clutch job!
I heard diy on on a clutch job is not advisable.

98 a4 1.8
10-13-2010, 07:35 AM

^like haha

Watson
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
So can i drive it until i can't go into gear anymore?
I dont exactly have ~$800 right now for a clutch job!
I heard diy on on a clutch job is not advisable.
You can drive it, just be very easy on the car, dont drive fast or get up to speed fast, dont rev high before going into 1st.....just drive like a gramps
I know my clutch is going to go soon, im at 185000km on my stock clutch still, old people usualy pass by me.

walky_talky20
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Unplug your N75 so you get less of that "clutch roasting" boost pressure. This will help immensely in letting you eek some more time out of your clutch. It will set a code, but will not be otherwise harmful to the car (other than the lost performance). You will probably get better gas mileage though. Basically this will limit the car to about 3psi or less of boost pressure. It is the electrical connector on the turbo inlet pipe, very near the electric fan:
http://home.comcast.net/~hhong4/images/K04/k04-10.jpg

As for the clutch job. For driving an older Audi, DIY is *always* advisable if you know what you're doing. Otherwise you will go broke fixing it. That said, I wouldn't advise doing it without a lift and tranny jack. Make sure you replace the rear main seal and transmission input shaft seal when you do the clutch. My brother killed a brand new clutch from oil dumping on it from both of those shortly after install. Other things would be axle seals and rear output shaft seals while the tranny is out. Much easier to do them then. Good Luck.

Polski
10-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the heads up walky, and thanks everyone for the direct diagnostics.

So, how much time do I have left on my clutch if I drive like a grandpa, keeping it boost-less???

mbudden
10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up walky, and thanks everyone for the direct diagnostics.

So, how much time do I have left on my clutch if I drive like a grandpa, keeping it boost-less???

Since no one knows how bad it actually is, could be tomorrow to a few months. I say make sure you take care of it as soon as you can. I don't think you'd want to be stranded out in the middle of no where.

Polski
10-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Crap...well i'f im going to fix it, better fix it right and think about the future.
I plan on going k04 with supporting mods, nothing more.

Im planning on just replacing it with a fx200...
anyone have a better idea?

adr3naline fix
10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
There are several DIY's on clutch replacement - including the Bentley manual which can be downloaded for free if Googled. :)

1) Buy some tools
2) save some money
3) ?
4) profit.

Polski
10-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I'd love to but i don't have a garage, its cold outside and it rains often.
Not to mention the car is a dd.

VMRWheels
10-15-2010, 01:59 PM
I'd love to but i don't have a garage, its cold outside and it rains often.
Not to mention the car is a dd.

Considering winter is coming, you may not have such a great opportunity to do it yourself, either. For the work, try shopping around various shops so you can get an idea of the range.

In the meantime, try to be as doscile as possible - hopefully it will last long enough for you! Good luck!