PDA

View Full Version : 01 Audi A4 - $1800

BenW
10-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Today I was looking at an 01 a4 1.8qtms 159,xxx. There are a few problems however. One being that the car overheats after about 15 minutes of driving. The guy said that it was sitting for 7 months and the thermostat is stuck shut. He said it's a common problem with these audis when they sit for a while. The other being the transmission. I've never driven a 5 speed audi before. When I was shifting it seemed to kinda slap into the gear about a second after I shifted it. Going through the gears it felt really smooth but there was that hard slap into the gear. Also, the hand brake line snapped. So hes been just leaving it sitting in first gear. I don't know for long or if that makes a difference. He wants $1,800 for it, mainly because of the thermostat. If I could get any input on these it (how much work the thermostat is, the transmission issue, etc.) would be very helpful.

Almost forgot, the headlights point straight down. I have no idea how or what I'd have to do to fix it.

Thanks
Ben

seanj130
10-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I dont think that is the themostat.. Coorect me if i am wrong anyone however those things dont get stuck closed, they only get stuck open making it so the car does not heat up properly. They are fail safe. I searched around and found this. I am not sure if it will be any help to you.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120845

BenW
10-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Actually you're right he said it was stuck open, maybe. I'm not entirely sure but even if it was stuck open why would it cause the car to over heat?

capea4
10-09-2010, 05:03 PM
the water pump impeller is plastic, and the blades come off causing it not to pump water. It would be replaced with the timing belt.

seanj130
10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
The purpuse of the fail safe is so when they do get stuck.. they are open.. that way the car wont overheat.. who knows the coolant could just be very old and dirty!

ADNpro
10-09-2010, 06:01 PM
$1800 doesn't sound all that bad.
Thermostat:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?4132965 < follow that guide to do it yourself.

Leaving it in gear really shouldn't hurt it. I know a LOT of people that do that instead of using the e-brake.

As for the headlights, why in the heck are they pointing straight down? Haha, they are easy to re-aim and adjust though.
There are adjustment screws on the back of the housings. Under the hood obviously haha, you turn them until they are at the desired position. Make sure you don't point them too high and blind everyone!

BenW
10-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the for all the input guys.

Vinchenzo51
10-09-2010, 07:03 PM
or in a worse case, it could have a blown head gasket... does it smoke at all? it'll have white smoke from the tailpipes even after warming up to normal temp

BenW
10-09-2010, 07:50 PM
A lot? I didn't check but didn't see any while driving. I'm going back with my uncle, a mechanic. Hopefully if its something like that he'll pick up on it.

spyder101
10-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I dont think that is the themostat.. Coorect me if i am wrong anyone however those things dont get stuck closed, they only get stuck open making it so the car does not heat up properly. They are fail safe. I searched around and found this. I am not sure if it will be any help to you.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120845

Sorry but, your wrong about the thermostat. A stuck closed thermostat WILL cause an over heating condition. There is no real "fail safe" system with that. The easiest way to tell if its a themostat is failing is that the upper radiator hose will be hot and the lower considerably cooler. usually with the 1.8T, the plastic impeller will spin freely from the water pump. This is a "no flow condition".

BenW
10-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks, that clears up what the second guy was talking about. Does this mean I would have to replace both the plastic impeller/water pump and thermostat?

spyder101
10-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks, that clears up what the second guy was talking about. Does this mean I would have to replace both the plastic impeller/water pump and thermostat?

Not necessarily but, since you have to remove the thermostat to inspect the H2o pump impeller to confirm, might as well replace it at that point. Try and diagnos it first, at operating temperature.

BenW
10-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Alright thanks.

adr3naline fix
10-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Leaving it in gear is fine, for the record.

DGAFxxx
10-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I would buy it even with current problems, I'd offer $1500 cash. Then I would replace the Tstat, Timing Belt & Water Pump with a pump with metal impellers, also the brake line. You're looking at ~$400 in parts, and a saturdays worth of labor. And then you can get it drivable while you figure out the transmission problem. Worse case scenario, find a used tranny for $800-$1000. And all together you'd still be coming out under $3000 for an 01.

SeekB00st
10-10-2010, 10:46 AM
ahh.. did you check to make sure that there were no air pockets?

walky_talky20
10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I'll bet the shifting thing is just a worn out snub mount causing too much driveline slop. This car sounds like a deal. Put a t-belt, pump, t-stat, and e-brake cable and you've got a nice B5 under $2,000. That leaves a lot of room for other maintenance things like control arms, brakes, etc.

Being higher mileage, there will be other things. As long as you are prepared for that, and the car is in good shape otherwise, this sounds like a good price.

Coopa
10-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Low ball him! He obviously doens't know whats wrong with it if he's saying the thermostat is stuck shut?

The worst that could have happen is that the water impeller and overheated it to the point where the headgasket fried. Basically what happened to my a4 (..it's a long story) You'd be seeing white smoke for sure if the headgasket failed.

Change the tstat (30 dollar 20 minute job) and see if that was the problem. If you've got the tools time and know how, you can do the timing belt/water pump job.

BenW
10-10-2010, 10:19 PM
If the head gasket was blown how much smoke would there be, a noticable amount while driving it?

MrPibb
10-11-2010, 07:13 AM
depending on how bad that gasket is, you could have anything from a small puff of white smoke to a smoke cloud worthy of a james bond get away. My friend blew the head gasket in his 98 eclipse and i couldnt even see his car when he romped on the peddle through the smoke. Blown head gasket is something that you should try and fix right away cause it is a small problem that leads to a junk engine if unchecked.

Urtorsen
10-11-2010, 05:32 PM
has it been written off or anything??? insurance write off i mean???

AudiNinja
10-11-2010, 05:51 PM
ahh.. did you check to make sure that there were no air pockets?

Or if there was even coolant in there. lol

Yeah the theromstat replacement is easy

pipe7284
10-11-2010, 06:16 PM
check to see if there is coolant in the oil..take the oil dip stick and see what color come out of it...if its like a milky substance than you can say that the headgasket is blown and get a petter deal on the car. Like said by others, if you have tools and like wrenching...go for it..its not a bad deal.