PDA

View Full Version : Breather hose

Tomm
10-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I noticed that my breather hose (i just learned that that's what that little hose is called) had broken of! I did some research just now and this seems to be a common issue. Will get a new one asap.

Earlier this year I had the valve covers of and when dissconnecting these breather hoses i noticed that they had a good amount of oil sludge build up inside of them. I'm wondering if this is somewhat normal on an older car?

Or is oil inside the breather hose to be considered a sign of something not working right?

Tomm
10-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh, and also... $87 for a new one!

I really don't want to pay that kind of money for such a slilly little hose. Does anyone know where they might be cheap?

Is there any kind of creative solution that anyone knows of? Some kind of heat resistant tube and just two hose clamps?

terraflata
10-09-2010, 10:02 AM
You can buy an 034 Breather block adapter 20$ (http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-18t-block-breather-adapter-audivw-18t-p-392.html) and then buy the appropriate lines to run to a catch can setup. This will prevent the build up of sludge and oil in your intake tract. If you undo the drivers side intercooler piping from your crossmember, you will most likely get a good example of just how much oil work its way into your intake.

FNK
10-09-2010, 10:44 AM
If you have a lot sludge in the head, use a long term engine cleaner that remove the sludge gradually and change your oil more often!
As it could look like this inside
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2198/2537915945_905585fa65.jpg

Tomm
10-09-2010, 09:01 PM
If you have a lot sludge in the head, use a long term engine cleaner that remove the sludge gradually and change your oil more often!
Yes, I am currently running AutoRX... the question was rather how come the oil gets into the breather hose, or if that's normal.

somebody5788
10-09-2010, 09:03 PM
You can buy an 034 Breather block adapter 20$ (http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-18t-block-breather-adapter-audivw-18t-p-392.html) and then buy the appropriate lines to run to a catch can setup. This will prevent the build up of sludge and oil in your intake tract. If you undo the drivers side intercooler piping from your crossmember, you will most likely get a good example of just how much oil work its way into your intake.

He's got a 2.8 since he said "valve covers"

terraflata
10-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Ahhh....thought it was a typo.

FNK
10-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Yes, I am currently running AutoRX... the question was rather how come the oil gets into the breather hose, or if that's normal.

Oil return line can become clogged, and that tube is a return line for fumes and venting to prevent acid solutions to build, so oil and sludge will use the next easiest exit to be forced out because of the pressure.

What oil are you using?

SeekB00st
10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Catch can set up is fine to run.

Also, you should have a basic understanding of how your vacuum system works.
You may chose to reroute it directly into your TIP as it is originally set up or you may chose to dump it under the chassis.

flandog
10-11-2010, 03:08 AM
yes, you will get oil into the breather hose...that is normal

Tomm
10-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Oil return line can become clogged, and that tube is a return line for fumes and venting to prevent acid solutions to build, so oil and sludge will use the next easiest exit to be forced out because of the pressure.

What oil are you using?

Thanks, that seems to make sense. I did have some sludge issues earlier, so clogged return lines seems likely. SInce then I've been doing two full cycles of ArtoRX cleaning, which takes 11,000 miles of driving. Havn't had occation to look inside the engine since, but hopefully that has helped alot.

I use synthetic like mobil 1 in most cases, but the previous owner I think used dino oil, which I don't think is a bad thing on a 2.8 and I don't hessitate to use it occasionally eather. I'll typically use 10-40 but it depends on season.

FNK
10-12-2010, 06:17 AM
10w-40 could be too much.

On mine,
5w-30 burned, shear resistance didn't seemed to be sufficient.
5w-50 stopped the burning, but was too tick and cooked inside the engine, since then my hydraulic lifter started to make noise at startup.
Used Rislone engine cleaner (an alternative to AutoRx, not available here) to clean the engine, and hydraulic lifter are much better now.

5w-40 No more oil burning, no more sludgind/clogging, and oil stay clear for longer. Hydraulic lifter are fine now, even after a week im not home, it takes 3 turn of the engine to get the oil on the head vs a few second!

In the end I found 5w40 Castrol Syntec to be the best choice and cheap. Lot of detergent that doesn't degrade over time, so it help keeping the engine clean.

If you'd like to know more about oils and Group III vs IV oils;
http://www.carbibles.com/