PDA

View Full Version : vr6 block

shokwav09
10-06-2010, 12:07 PM
i have an oppurtunity to buy an vr6 24v long block for 500.00 only downer is it has 180k miles on it. now id plan to rebuild it either way for my conversion, but a block that seasoned has to be in question, what are things to look for? or can i get opinions please

Euromike
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
To be honest with you, If your going to go thru with a Vr6 swap (big big money) dont cheap out on a block. If you have the money to do this build, you have the money to buy a good motor.

Nebone
10-06-2010, 01:19 PM
There will be nothing wrong with the block. Just replace the rings and bearings while putting in stronger rods. This is the easy part of this build.

shokwav09
10-06-2010, 06:52 PM
There will be nothing wrong with the block. Just replace the rings and bearings while putting in stronger rods. This is the easy part of this build.

im going to deck{resurface} the cylinder head too, as well as anything lighter and stronger, port polish. rods, pistons, etc.

pipe7284
10-06-2010, 06:58 PM
In my opinion, if you are going all out with the build, you should be fine with this long block you are talking about. Once you are done with the build the motor should be as good as new.!!!!!

Good luck and remember to keep us posted

shokwav09
10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
In my opinion, if you are going all out with the build, you should be fine with this long block you are talking about. Once you are done with the build the motor should be as good as new.!!!!!

Good luck and remember to keep us posted

word up my honk*y

revbjeff
10-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I see you are around the KC area have you checked out kch2o.com?

chris164935
10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Any service records on the motor? I would say replace the timing chains and related tensioners. Good luck.

grillhands
10-07-2010, 06:13 AM
I just read a write up on this and the estimated cost to doing a vr6 swap is around 11k. I think it is easier just to build the 1.8t instead.

shokwav09
10-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I just read a write up on this and the estimated cost to doing a vr6 swap is around 11k. I think it is easier just to build the 1.8t instead.

im estimating not quite so much. rods pistons and bearings for the block balancing, boring, roughly 2.75 g's tops. the heads, ported polished, springs valves, retainers, bolts and hardware, cams, rund 3 g's tops. not including turbo. which through my connections with the tuner shops and me assembling as much as i can wont beat 6.5 im guessing. but that is just for the buildup of the block top to bottom. it doesnt include the collar, clutch assembly, mounts and piping. but i can source alot of that as well and fab my own. plus since im in welding school i think i might be able to manage when i come to that point. but a vr6 for 500.00 dolla dolla? are you cuhhhhhrazzzy? also this isnt something im doing over the next few weeks. its more like the next two years. so ride or die guy. but thanks to all for input.

grillhands
10-07-2010, 07:34 AM
im estimating not quite so much. rods pistons and bearings for the block balancing, boring, roughly 2.75 g's tops. the heads, ported polished, springs valves, retainers, bolts and hardware, cams, rund 3 g's tops. not including turbo. which through my connections with the tuner shops and me assembling as much as i can wont beat 6.5 im guessing. but that is just for the buildup of the block top to bottom. it doesnt include the collar, clutch assembly, mounts and piping. but i can source alot of that as well and fab my own. plus since im in welding school i think i might be able to manage when i come to that point. but a vr6 for 500.00 dolla dolla? are you cuhhhhhrazzzy? also this isnt something im doing over the next few weeks. its more like the next two years. so ride or die guy. but thanks to all for input.

If you start it, i'll be subscribed to your posts.[up]

Nebone
10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Instead of buying a 24V VR6 motor, I bought a whole GLI Jetta. That motor is awesome and should be in my B5, even w/o a turbo.

black99.5a4
10-07-2010, 01:26 PM

You are forgetting that most of the VR6 swaps have the required parts to do the swaps RIGHT.

i.e. different oil pan, valve cover, the adapter kit from 034, standalone and wiring, cooling as some guys run alum radiators, most guys keep ac and need to get all new ac lines ran with fittings and steel braided, some do rubber.. fuel lines, power steering lines.. One of the guys in the b5s4 section that is doing this swap, spent like 1300 in just 2 ac lines, 2 fuel lines and 2 p/s lines for the right fittings, line he wanted to use and for it all be made to look good.

it gets expensive, VERY quick. also forgot about custom intake manifold as u cant use the stock 12v or 24v manifold.. those alone for a 1.8t are 800 bucks, a 1 off, designed and built right, will run you roughly 1000-1200 for the VR.

Get where the money adds up a lot more then a built motor? Also, where are you getting all of those parts for 3g's? or do you mean 3 + 2750 for the bottom end? equaling 5250 before its ever in the car?

shokwav09
10-07-2010, 02:31 PM
You are forgetting that most of the VR6 swaps have the required parts to do the swaps RIGHT.

i.e. different oil pan, valve cover, the adapter kit from 034, standalone and wiring, cooling as some guys run alum radiators, most guys keep ac and need to get all new ac lines ran with fittings and steel braided, some do rubber.. fuel lines, power steering lines.. One of the guys in the b5s4 section that is doing this swap, spent like 1300 in just 2 ac lines, 2 fuel lines and 2 p/s lines for the right fittings, line he wanted to use and for it all be made to look good.

it gets expensive, VERY quick. also forgot about custom intake manifold as u cant use the stock 12v or 24v manifold.. those alone for a 1.8t are 800 bucks, a 1 off, designed and built right, will run you roughly 1000-1200 for the VR.

Get where the money adds up a lot more then a built motor? Also, where are you getting all of those parts for 3g's? or do you mean 3 + 2750 for the bottom end? equaling 5250 before its ever in the car?

just bought the longblock today.
no ac will be installed, i will do all labor i can{i have a mechanic i roll with that drives a 600hp evo from our car club} that will help with whatever i need.
i understand the incentives and here and there prices. i will be prepared. i weld and am finishing up my mig/tig courses soon, i can source alot of materials relatively easy. {look at sig} i am fanatical about titanium. i will utilize it in my build accents and applied applications too., cost is an issue but im patient and will do whats right to get to that level of affording it. and black, im guestimating some areas for parts. so lets not assume im doing everything wrong before ive gotten into it. i just bought the block today. its just getting started. not so much optomism homie!! and my goal hasnt even been set yet. im still sourcing alot of things i need. whatever the road carries me down, ill improvise.

revbjeff
10-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Well I definitely want to check this out when your done. Then you can build mine [:D]

shokwav09
10-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Well I definitely want to check this out when your done. Then you can build mine [:D]

when i get situated, you are more than welcome to help me work on it. youre not that far away and we're always up for new friends.

A4Rob
10-07-2010, 09:44 PM
You should read this thread start to finish... It will give you a better idea of what is all involved in such a swap.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/284024-The-luxury-of-AWD

Good luck

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 08:52 AM
You should read this thread start to finish... It will give you a better idea of what is all involved in such a swap.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/284024-The-luxury-of-AWD

Good luck

this is not a task im taking on that i have no experience in modifying or tuning. granted theres still alot i need to learn, but the cost is not seriously a big issue. it will also be stretched over time. sitting in a garage getting put together piece by piece. ive had five neons {one 2002 acr,two srt'4s} that ive spent years on playing with. this is my step up for a better tuner/performance drive guys. and when i say tuner i mean the ability. not the type of car. im an automotive performance enthusiast. and im spanning my horizon for a better drive. another note though, the salvage yard i bought the engine from told me it was a 24v. its a 12v. either way its gonna get rough for the competition, right? haha..thanks for the help a4rob. all is appreciated

Haenszel20v
10-08-2010, 09:11 AM
You have a lot to look into before you start this swap. You are also missing out on a TON of high dollar parts in your budget. You also don't sound like you have the expertise/knowledge to take this on right now, no offense.

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 09:20 AM
even in school we learn as we go. but i didnt list everything off the bat. i havent stated a solid budget, heck i dont think theres even going to be one, but im going to build this. and who is experienced in everything most times anyways. ive seen master mechanics get stumped everynow and then too. and i dont take offense to much. but its unnerving when you get more feedback on what hasnt been said rather than what has. the opinions i asked for were on the block. i planned on buying it anyways. i didnt mention the costs for the suspension, brakes, body, interior. and im fully aware that it will cost more than most think its worth. thats me though, people couldnt justify me paying around four grand for my brakes and suspension on my red srt either. but it happened, lol. but ill hustle and bustle where i can to get this finished. now, are you jerky boys gonna say i can or cant?? because honestly, i dont need you. but id sure love to have you rockin this bitch with me. no pun intended.

but heres some news for what i already have.
b5 a4's sold. all interior parts sold or being sold
vr6 is going into something else.

NYCVR6
10-08-2010, 09:27 AM
You have a lot to look into before you start this swap. You are also missing out on a TON of high dollar parts in your budget. You also don't sound like you have the expertise/knowledge to take this on right now, no offense.

I second this... This swap cost me over 20K... But i have a $4000+ clutch, ViPec V88 stand alone, precision billet 6765, etc... All the best parts... Hell i spent over a grand in hose and fittings alone.. Look at this thread, but i would think twice before jumping into this, doesnt sound like you have the money, skills, or knowledge to pull this off.. You will need a full fab shop at your disposal, youll need to know how to tig weld, youll need stand a lone engine management, and knowledge how to wire it into the audi to get everything working right, and so on and so on... Not trying to change your mind, but filling you in that you are underestimating this swap.. It's not easy, it doesnt fit, and there is a TON of custom work that has to be done..
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/286716-***-OFFICIAL-VR6-12V-amp-24V-FAQ-and-Info-sharing-***?highlight=vr6

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
read this thread before you bounce bro. im in school for mig/tig, i have a few mechanics and a whole plethora of skills from the top tier members in our club at my side, and i dont underestimate jack. youre underestimating me. and my list may seem offbeat considering the build, but patience is a virtue and im grabbing the best deals over time, not sacrificing my grip all at once. its gonna happen.

Euromike
10-08-2010, 09:35 AM
read this thread before you bounce bro. im in school for mig/tig, i have a few mechanics and a whole plethora of skills from the top tier members in our club at my side, and i dont underestimate jack. youre underestimating me. and my list may seem offbeat considering the build, but patience is a virtue and im grabbing the best deals over time, not sacrificing my grip all at once. its gonna happen.

If your willing to spend the 20k on the swap, Do it! but just make sure you dont fuck it up and have to spend even more fixing it.

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 09:37 AM
If your willing to spend the 20k on the swap, Do it! but just make sure you dont fuck it up and have to spend even more fixing it.

no natural born hating here, thanks sant

Euromike
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
no natural born hating here, thanks sant

haha no prob, If you think you can do it, thats all that matters really. Just dont fuck it up, then everyone who told you that you couldnt will laugh at you lol

NYCVR6
10-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Ok, whatever you say chief.. What's you credentials? School for mig/tig?? you have to be kidding me.... Who needs school to mig? hahaha.. What have you built before? I built a 670whp hot rod 12v gti vr6 in 2001 that went 10.8@148mph. So many people have started this build and stopped or gave up.. I was the second in the world to do a 24v vr6 in a B5 s4 after 034, and mine has AC and all.. I did the full swap and made 650whp in under a month only working on it part time, and in the end looking back, i feel confident that NOBODY will get this swap done unless they have 20K disposable income, years of tig and fabricating experience, or a professional fabricator at your disposal.. There's no point in arguing this, i came in with honest good advice, take it or leave it... I GUARANTEE i check back in in a few months and this swap definitely wont be done, and probably will be long forgotten..

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Ok, whatever you say chief.. What's you credentials? School for mig/tig?? you have to be kidding me.... Who needs school to mig? hahaha.. What have you built before? I built a 670whp hot rod 12v gti vr6 in 2001 that went 10.8@148mph. So many people have started this build and stopped or gave up.. I was the second in the world to do a 24v vr6 in a B5 s4 after 034, and mine has AC and all.. I did the full swap and made 650whp in under a month only working on it part time, and in the end looking back, i feel confident that NOBODY will get this swap done unless they have 20K disposable income, years of tig and fabricating experience, or a professional fabricator at your disposal.. There's no point in arguing this, i came in with honest good advice, take it or leave it... I GUARANTEE i check back in in a few months and this swap definitely wont be done, and probably will be long forgotten..

nobodys questioning you bignuts. chill out. and degrees happen from school. math as well. all haterrism here lol. you might be more experienced, but you look like an asshole for the move you just made. lol. and i hope its forgotten. itll give me a better entrance.

NYCVR6
10-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Subscribed to thread, so i can come back and get the last laugh.

NYCVR6
10-08-2010, 09:56 AM
nobodys questioning you bignuts. chill out. and degrees happen from school. math as well. all haterrism here lol. you might be more experienced, but you look like an asshole for the move you just made. lol

I came in with good advice, then you got all whiny and defensive... In this thread you said you think you can do this swap for under 11K, im telling you, that is physically IMPOSSIBLE... Prove me wrong...

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 09:56 AM

and ill stay consistent for the apology. god bless buster

ps.s i never said 11k. i was stating the build for the head and block. not the entire car. .... whyre you still hating guy? be my friend

Euromike
10-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Damn for 20k i would just buy a different car.

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 10:05 AM

yeah, but i like to get my hands dirty. and to say i built a 6speed, awd, swapped, corner carver is beyond a 100k car to me. its this thing called love i guess. unless of course an lp640 landed in my lap.

NYCVR6
10-08-2010, 10:10 AM
and ill stay consistent for the apology. god bless buster

ps.s i never said 11k. i was stating the build for the head and block. not the entire car. .... whyre you still hating guy? be my friend

Im not hating, im trying to fill you in on what youre getting into, listen to my advice or dont... Im trying to help, i did do this swap..

NYCVR6
10-08-2010, 10:13 AM

I wouldnt dump the money into a A4 or a beat up s4 personally, but i had a mint 2001.5 B5 S4 with 50K on the body.. The swap once done is great, the car will run 9's with full interior once i get some things in my life sorted out and have time to work on it again.. Plus, i have a 2010 Wrangler unlimited on 33" tires as my daily... [:D]

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Im not hating, im trying to fill you in on what youre getting into, listen to my advice or dont... Im trying to help, i did do this swap..

not right now. haha its all good. if theres something i need to do or know ,you might be the one to hit up. be patient bro

NYCVR6
10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
not right now. haha its all good. if theres something i need to do or know ,you might be the one to hit up. be patient bro

Im always willing to help.. Check out that thread though, it has a lot of info i posted during the swap.. All the problems.

shokwav09
10-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Im always willing to help.. Check out that thread though, it has a lot of info i posted during the swap.. All the problems.

im only aiming for 450-500 whp. i figured that might clarify some of the equation too. i just want to build a bullittproof block and head/trans/drivetrain for aggressive driving. the brakes and suspension are my shiners. im more into chopping weight and maximizing efficiency in those areas. the interior is gonna be a street/race. ex. leather for cloth, drivers seats for racing/fixed seats. unneccesary wiring. you get the idea i hope.

black99.5a4
10-09-2010, 04:56 AM
VR's will do 500 on stock blocks.. so if you're building it for 450whp, you're wasting money.

shokwav09
10-09-2010, 08:19 AM
VR's will do 500 on stock blocks.. so if you're building it for 450whp, you're wasting money.

yeah ive seen forums and post where all they did was change studs, rods and it went a little higher. but this thing called ambitious maybe ambiguous drive says for me to build it for more boost in case i want to push the engine for more later on

terraflata
10-09-2010, 09:51 AM
The 1.8T can be built to push 400-500+ HP. It will cost considerably less, and you will have a much more balanced car if you plan on tracking it. The amount of problems and setbacks will also be less. Don't mistake what I say, I would love to see this project go through. VR6T B5's are beautiful. But your power goals are attainable with a lighter engine. Even 034 wrote this:

"Some testing was done and it was determined that a similarly equipped 4-cyl 20v motor would be approx 100+ lbs lighter than the VR6. While having less capacity for extraordinary power, a 4-cyl could still be built and tuned for a reliable 600HP while remaining extremely tractable and responsive. The trade off of less TQ and power would more than be compensated for with a lighter, better balanced chassis. .....The result was a car that ran almost 10 seconds a lap faster than it did before, with less power, and of course, less weight."

Food for thought.

shokwav09
10-09-2010, 10:41 AM
The 1.8T can be built to push 400-500+ HP. It will cost considerably less, and you will have a much more balanced car if you plan on tracking it. The amount of problems and setbacks will also be less. Don't mistake what I say, I would love to see this project go through. VR6T B5's are beautiful. But your power goals are attainable with a lighter engine. Even 034 wrote this:

"Some testing was done and it was determined that a similarly equipped 4-cyl 20v motor would be approx 100+ lbs lighter than the VR6. While having less capacity for extraordinary power, a 4-cyl could still be built and tuned for a reliable 600HP while remaining extremely tractable and responsive. The trade off of less TQ and power would more than be compensated for with a lighter, better balanced chassis. .....The result was a car that ran almost 10 seconds a lap faster than it did before, with less power, and of course, less weight."

Food for thought.

excellent quote. he said extraordinary. haha heres my enlightenment.
1. already have the vr6
2. like the options of more if i choose. {hp,tq}
3. i want to. and to say i did it.
its all good. ive made up my mind. after seeing the threads issam made, i just fell in googles and oodles for this build. i got rid of my 2.7tt longblock for this bitch. its game on. im a gearhead at heart. besides how many get to roll up on a scene and say theyve done it? im still weighing some options too though on power

alen
10-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Damn some of these posters nagging you off the project really sound like douches. NYCVR6 you sound like a really cool person to hang out with [rolleyes]
shokwav09, whatever your credentials, power goals, etc are, don't let these haters get you off your horse. I find it refreshing to see someone with so much enthusiasm to stand up and act like a gentleman when you get attacked and keep getting answered NO.
I've read a lot of information about doing these swaps and came really close to pulling the trigger on this really nice r32 complete engine for so cheap...but the rest of the cost really discouraged me. Also, I wasn't too keen on increasing the front track weight of the car.
Anyway, good luck with the build and I am definitely getting subscribed to your build thread. [up]

NYCVR6
10-10-2010, 09:46 AM
NYCVR6 you sound like a really cool person to hang out with [rolleyes]

Good thing im here to help people with good real world advice, and not to make friends.. So you can suck it.. These "douches" (haenszel and I) are people who have done the swap, offering honest advice before someone wastes their money getting involved in something they are underestimating.. Take the advice or leave it like i said..

alen
10-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Good thing im here to help people with good real world advice, and not to make friends.. So you can suck it.. These "douches" (haenszel and I) are people who have done the swap, offering honest advice before someone wastes their money getting involved in something they are underestimating.. Take the advice or leave it like i said..

Sounds like someone is not happy with what they've done. Good thing we have people with real advice discouraging others. That's how the world evolves, right?

Keep further validating my point.

terraflata
10-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I wasn't turning him off the project. I wanted to do a a 2.7T swap at first, then a VR6T when I saw what was going down with 034 and USP. But I chose to go the I-4 way due to having a lighter and more balanced car. Heck with the money I won't be spending on building up a VR6T I can redo my entire car in RS4 CF parts, which I plan on doing. I encourage people to chase their goals/dreams, I think NYCVR6 is just trying to give him a better understanding of what he is getting into, and not going into something foolishly, such as I did when I started ripping my car apart over a year ago.

shokwav09
10-10-2010, 05:11 PM
its all good. i say just help, not hurt. get along or get it on. thats why i shut my forums for club titanium down. too much "assholism" and negative posting. but even in the dirt, theres something good to get out of it for my build. one thing i think is its hard for others to visualize posters situations {goals,hopes.dreams,credentials} so to speak, is the want even if it turns to be a failure. but to each there own. the only reason ive never opened up my srt's blocks were mainly miles too low. stage 3 clutches were the most internal i ever gotbut this is my wake up call to push that shit to another level. and when you guys see the way i trick my rides, youll see why our club ran most of kansas city's streets underground. its only a matter of time. its all good though.

shokwav09
10-10-2010, 05:21 PM

dont make me put your heads together. literally. all of you,rep the "Ti".. because im made of titanium. if you say yes and pm me your address, ill send you a pair of vinyl 4" stickers so you can say you know the baddest/coolest/fastest guy in kansas city. thats prob hyping myself some, but the stickers kick ass. lol

heres the code for when we cruise. "my ding-a-ling is made of titanium". you respond. "so are my balls"

chris164935
10-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Two pages and no pics? This project is fail. Lol.
Start tearin' that motor apart; figure out what's up!

flynnr
10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
if you do it you should document everything along the way 100% and post up pics as you make progress.

shokwav09
10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Two pages and no pics? This project is fail. Lol.
Start tearin' that motor apart; figure out what's up!

ill get soime pics when i get to the garage. im living in a studio renting a garage. theres no fail. i wasnt even dedicating a thread to the build. it seems some arent even patient enough in the first place. but i guess theres a first for everything. shoot though. i cant wait to tear it down to bareassed. lol

shokwav09
10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
if you do it you should document everything along the way 100% and post up pics as you make progress.

ill do what i can to help further builders and inquirers. i want everyone to see the body before and after its complete too. so yeah. ill take photos as much as possible

NYCVR6
10-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Sounds like someone is not happy with what they've done. Good thing we have people with real advice discouraging others. That's how the world evolves, right?

Keep further validating my point.

Not happy with a 650whp awd s4 on one trip to the dyno? Cmon, i love the car... The project got out of hand and ended up costing a lot more, and needing a lot more work than expected.. Im trying to let people know what they are getting into, not discourage.. Im currently helping 2 people via email with these swaps in great detail, and they seem to be realizing what is needed. Like i said, im always willing to help.. I just want to let people know that this swap just isnt a bolt in type of deal.

NYCVR6
10-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I think NYCVR6 is just trying to give him a better understanding of what he is getting into, and not going into something foolishly, such as I did when I started ripping my car apart over a year ago.

Exactly what im trying to convey.

alen
10-10-2010, 07:41 PM
I understand what you're trying to say but a few comments such as these:

I second this... This swap cost me over 20K... But i have a $4000+ clutch, ViPec V88 stand alone, precision billet 6765, etc... All the best parts... Hell i spent over a grand in hose and fittings alone.. Look at this thread, but i would think twice before jumping into this, doesnt sound like you have the money, skills, or knowledge to pull this off.. You will need a full fab shop at your disposal, youll need to know how to tig weld, youll need stand a lone engine management, and knowledge how to wire it into the audi to get everything working right, and so on and so on... Not trying to change your mind, but filling you in that you are underestimating this swap.. It's not easy, it doesnt fit, and there is a TON of custom work that has to be done..
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/286716-***-OFFICIAL-VR6-12V-amp-24V-FAQ-and-Info-sharing-***?highlight=vr6

Well I'll let you be the judge.

NYCVR6
10-11-2010, 08:11 AM
I understand what you're trying to say but a few comments such as these:

Well I'll let you be the judge.

Someone mentioned that it will take at least 11K to do this swap, his response was that he thinks he can do it for less.. Indicating that he is looking to cut corners to save money that he doesnt have..Skills and knowledge, i guarantee he doesnt have... Like ive said, i did the swap, ive also built a hot rod fwd vw drag car 8 years ago, my friend who helped me has built multiple 9 second fwd cars, and still this swap seemed to overwhelm us at points.. We really just underestimated it in the beginning, like the original poster is doing.. My comments may have been a bit brash, but im tired of people telling me they are doing it, even going as far as picking the shit out of my brain, then ending up giving up on it..
Hot rod GTI i built in my garage:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/6.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/5.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/4-1.jpg

Needless to say, i have years of fabricating skills, engine building work, chassis work, etc.. The original poster said he is in school for mig/tig, my friend who did my welding, has been tigging for years and found some of the aluminum work to be quite tedious and difficult.. Im trying to educate.. If people look at that thread i originally posted, you can see the problems i ran into, the engine just doesnt fit.

shokwav09
10-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Someone mentioned that it will take at least 11K to do this swap, his response was that he thinks he can do it for less.. Indicating that he is looking to cut corners to save money that he doesnt have..Skills and knowledge, i guarantee he doesnt have... Like ive said, i did the swap, ive also built a hot rod fwd vw drag car 8 years ago, my friend who helped me has built multiple 9 second fwd cars, and still this swap seemed to overwhelm us at points.. We really just underestimated it in the beginning, like the original poster is doing.. My comments may have been a bit brash, but im tired of people telling me they are doing it, even going as far as picking the shit out of my brain, then ending up giving up on it..
Hot rod GTI i built in my garage:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/6.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/5.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/4-1.jpg

Needless to say, i have years of fabricating skills, engine building work, chassis work, etc.. The original poster said he is in school for mig/tig, my friend who did my welding, has been tigging for years and found some of the aluminum work to be quite tedious and difficult.. Im trying to educate.. If people look at that thread i originally posted, you can see the problems i ran into, the engine just doesnt fit.

someone said the swap could cost around 11k. i was stating HEAD AND BLOCK WORK ONLY for less than that. i know the build will cost over that. the money i dont have is no concern to you. ill earn it like everything else. ive got the time. skills? you learned them. why cant anyone else? sure, expertise comes from years of experience, but whos to say i cant get it done reasonably and fashionably over time? how many people have to go and settle to anyone else's standards to complete what they want to do is above you. you need to lay off the ive done this and you cant do that because i guarantee. plus, nobody ever said i was getting this done in two months. i said itll be sitting in my garage for a long time, maybe a couple years. why?? because its a project im doing on my side living. not racing to try to be one of the fastest for the moment.

NYCVR6
10-11-2010, 12:02 PM
someone said the swap could cost around 11k. i was stating HEAD AND BLOCK WORK ONLY for less than that. i know the build will cost over that. the money i dont have is no concern to you. ill earn it like everything else. ive got the time. skills? you learned them. why cant anyone else? sure, expertise comes from years of experience, but whos to say i cant get it done reasonably and fashionably over time? how many people have to go and settle to anyone else's standards to complete what they want to do is above you. you need to lay off the ive done this and you cant do that because i guarantee. plus, nobody ever said i was getting this done in two months. i said itll be sitting in my garage for a long time, maybe a couple years. why?? because its a project im doing on my side living. not racing to try to be one of the fastest for the moment. but the thing i love the most is. i havent asked one thing about the build to you. but you seem to comment more on what ive got and how good i am compared to what you do. calm it down killer.

I was re-stating, not trying to start with you again.. You quoted someone who said it will take at least 11k, and your first sentence back is, that you think you can do it for less.. Over the next couple of years? sure it can be done, I did it in a month, you could too if you knew the right people and had deep pockets. You also said youre looking for under 500whp, you dont even need to built the motor, just put rod bolts, and a lower CR head gasket and call it a day.. I wasnt trying to restart the discussion with you again, we talked it out, i was explaining my quotes.

shokwav09
10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I was re-stating, not trying to start with you again.. You quoted someone who said it will take at least 11k, and your first sentence back is, that you think you can do it for less.. Over the next couple of years? sure it can be done, I did it in a month, you could too if you knew the right people and had deep pockets. You also said youre looking for under 500whp, you dont even need to built the motor, just put rod bolts, and a lower CR head gasket and call it a day.. I wasnt trying to restart the discussion with you again, we talked it out, i was explaining my quotes.

alright. here goes. show me some phtos of the block installed with front clearance to calm my curiousity.

NYCVR6
10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
alright. here goes. show me some phtos of the block installed with front clearance to calm my curiousity.
These pics show how far up the motor sits and where the top of the rad support is cut. For every spot it was cut on top, you had to cut at least twice as much on the lower rad support, then re-enforce it all as it becomes flimsy.. Not only does it not fit up front, but the hood mechanism is history and it doesnt clear the hood. Then you have to make custom motor mounts to lower the front of the motor and relocate the oil filler neck to clear the hood. But you cant lower it too much because it will hit the subframe. These are just the beginning of fitting issues. Look at this video, you have to fit at least 3 electric fans as well to keep the car cool and the intercooler, which was acomplete nightmare.. I can go on for days with snags we ran into.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/7-3.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/9-1.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/33333.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zd5mHPOjGM

Quintin@R.A.I.
10-11-2010, 01:21 PM
lemme know if you need brackets for the engine mounts.

A4Rob
10-11-2010, 06:41 PM
lemme know if you need brackets for the engine mounts.

I could use a pair. PM me a price please.

shokwav09
10-11-2010, 07:02 PM
i was planning on using the o34 cradle. and working around that. but i seen the solid mounts youve used. and issam stated he had oil pans he fabbed as well. theres certain things i was going to use that were already intended/built and others i planned to make myself {hoses,fittings,etc.} howd you retain the bottom of the front clip/fans support?

smoker
10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
This is hilarious. I hate to say it, but the haters are obviously right. Any intelligent person can tell just by the way you're responding and promoting yourself that you're in way over your head. Honestly I'm not trying to be rude, but you may want to just slow down and get a detailed plan for how you're going to accomplish everything from start to finish... and don't be so full of yourself that you can't take some constructive criticism from people who have done this exact swap before you. I mean, you got duped into paying $500 for a 180k mile 12-valve vr and you're listing things like S4 mirrors and door cards as parts that you already have for the project (especially painted mirrors to save weight), and you don't expect people to flame you?!?!?!?!?

I'll hope for the best for you, but I think you'd be wise to chill out for a bit and get a more realistic approach to your project.

NYCVR6
10-12-2010, 01:49 PM
howd you retain the bottom of the front clip/fans support?

That is the least of the fitting issues.. But we hacked the hell out of the rad support to get everything to fit, we then had to cut, bend and rivet aluminum into place to re-enforce it because it became so flimsy from the cutting. Forget about fitting the fans, the hood, the whole motor haha etc.. Like i said, if you look at the thread i posted in my initial post, you can get a good idea of the problems i had.

NYCVR6
10-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I'll hope for the best for you, but I think you'd be wise to chill out for a bit and get a more realistic approach to your project.

That's what im trying to get across here.. If he steps back and reads the thread i linked him to, he can see that this isnt a do it in the garage kind of project. Im lucky i have years of fab work under my belt specifically with VR's, a friends shop at my disposal with welders and all sorts of fabrication tools, otherwise i would have bailed on this swap myself.. It would have taken easily twice as long to do in my garage, and i have a pretty stocked garage myself.

shokwav09
10-12-2010, 02:06 PM
This is hilarious. I hate to say it, but the haters are obviously right. Any intelligent person can tell just by the way you're responding and promoting yourself that you're in way over your head. Honestly I'm not trying to be rude, but you may want to just slow down and get a detailed plan for how you're going to accomplish everything from start to finish... and don't be so full of yourself that you can't take some constructive criticism from people who have done this exact swap before you. I mean, you got duped into paying $500 for a 180k mile 12-valve vr and you're listing things like S4 mirrors and door cards as parts that you already have for the project (especially painted mirrors to save weight), and you don't expect people to flame you?!?!?!?!?

im done over this you guys know so much more and are swaying me from hassle or im in way over my head. maybe it will flop, maybe i will take longer than expected. whats it matter to you. im still doing what i can. i can take constructive criticism all day long if necessary. its the you cant hardy har har bullshit thats showing the sunshine from the assholes perspectives. either way you dig it. its game on. and id say im measuring alot down to the detail if i bought plastic mirrors just to save weight. good call for someone so knowledgable. and my realistic approach is this. when i get it done. youre all gonna assbong beer off me.

shokwav09
10-12-2010, 02:13 PM
That's what im trying to get across here.. If he steps back and reads the thread i linked him to, he can see that this isnt a do it in the garage kind of project. Im lucky i have years of fab work under my belt specifically with VR's, a friends shop at my disposal with welders and all sorts of fabrication tools, otherwise i would have bailed on this swap myself.. It would have taken easily twice as long to do in my garage, and i have a pretty stocked garage myself.

im getting your picture youre painting. its cool. it show the mega knowledgable guys in front , with all the right moves. haha and their drag cars with deep pocks telling the guys on the sideline to keep watcing while they go faster. no need to go and try, hell. youre in over youre head already. but theres something off in the distance, i think i can make it out. its a guy working on his ride, but hes doing it one handed while the middle finger's in the air? hot damn whos that artist? if you cant tell im being a smartass. this threads over fellas. im not posting on this shit anymore. for the build until i feel like it. now im gonna make it feel like a southpaw showdown, also, nyc, its part off the build isnt it? i mean the front fan/shrouds. so any angle you see it, its something thats getting done. i can go on and on, but heres the deal. oh wait, its me.

NYCVR6
10-12-2010, 02:18 PM
im getting your picture youre painting. its cool. it show the mega knowledgable guys in front , with all the right moves. haha and their drag cars with deep pocks telling the guys on the sideline to keep watcing while they go faster. no need to go and try, hell. youre in over youre head already. but theres something off in the distance, i think i can make it out. its a guy working on his ride, but hes doing it one handed while the middle finger's in the air? hot damn whos that artist? if you cant tell im being a smartass. this threads over fellas. im not posting on this shit anymore. for the build until i feel like it. now im gonna make it feel like a southpaw showdown, also, nyc, its part off the build isnt it? i mean the front fan/shrouds. so any angle you see it, its something thats getting done. i can go on and on, but heres the deal. oh wait, its me.

What the fuck? [confused]

shokwav09
10-12-2010, 02:26 PM
honestly, i cant fuckin deal with the narcicism amd the assholes on forums. i really only signed up for related parts and knowledge where it shines. deals, etc. im in no freaking hurry and am doing it one part at a time. one piece when it comes around. i got alot of thanks for the ones that said go for it. but when bigdogs come around, 90% of the time its the same shit unless theyre selling something. i can turn this into a moral conversation and a mechanical know how. but its been a waste of time the first sentence that said change your mind so to speak. youre in too deep. but thats where i prefer to be, cuz i always end up on top. yall be cool ya hear?

terraflata
10-12-2010, 03:14 PM
honestly, i cant fuckin deal with the narcicism amd the assholes on forums. i really only signed up for related parts and knowledge where it shines. deals, etc.

Then lets all play nice and take whatever advice or tips you can from NYCVR6 considering he has done the swap. Dropping everything thats been said up to this point and doing that will at least show your commitment to this. I say go for it. Be nice to see it go through.

onemoremile
10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow, this is interesting. And strange...

Good luck with the project.

JumboBlack1.8
10-12-2010, 05:24 PM
What a weird thread.......I read very little "hate"....just good advice.....These VR6 swap threads are essentially the same as the 2.8L Turbo threads.......hence the trepidation by some......Don't take things so personally. If you're gonna do it....then DO it. No one hear is going to wish you failure. Just try to take the good advice when its given. Make a plan of action and realistic budget, then try your best to stock to it.

Good luck

Oh, and btw, you're the one being narcissistic

shokwav09
10-12-2010, 05:50 PM
nah. im far from self loving. and im not really refferring to anybody in particular. readers assume what they want.

smoker
10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
im done over this you guys know so much more and are swaying me from hassle or im in way over my head. maybe it will flop, maybe i will take longer than expected. whats it matter to you. im still doing what i can. i can take constructive criticism all day long if necessary. its the you cant hardy har har bullshit thats showing the sunshine from the assholes perspectives. either way you dig it. its game on. and id say im measuring alot down to the detail if i bought plastic mirrors just to save weight. good call for someone so knowledgable. and my realistic approach is this. when i get it done. youre all gonna assbong beer off me.

[rolleyes]

whatever man. Good luck with your project.

Sales@RAI
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Love, love, love this thread. Don't worry man, your underground racing scene and SRT knowledge will get you there, F the haters!

BlkBullitt
10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
This thread is giving me a headache between all of the posts in something attempting to resemble the english language and the complete lack of technical discussion.

OP, good luck and please post some pics (or even better vids) of you and your posse's progress with it.

NYCVR6
10-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Love, love, love this thread. Don't worry man, your underground racing scene and SRT knowledge will get you there, F the haters!

Who's the haters Clint? Me telling the honest truth about something ive done?? I know your trying to sell parts, but you have to know ignorance when you see it.

By the way Clint, the card i received from Anthony after my accident, i remember it had your name listed as one of the people who posted concerns.. I really appreciate the thoughts and prayers bro.

shokwav09
10-13-2010, 06:34 PM
its not that deep, i was just saying. i think i can. i think i can. i think i can. and theres alot of sarcasm that couldnt be interpreted. kinda like, all of you are blowing me out of proportion. haha. i think i put too many deep messages in my writing.

belinko
10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I concur with NYCVR6.

[hail] To those that have completed a VR6 swap into a B5, it's far more than just an engine swap, it's more like a nightmare. [evilsmile]

For 95% of the Audi enthusiasts 400+AWHP is more than adequate and it can be had for less, from a 1.8 block that FITS.

shokwav09
10-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I concur with NYCVR6.

[hail] To those that have completed a VR6 swap into a B5, it's far more than just an engine swap, it's more like a nightmare. [evilsmile]

For 95% of the Audi enthusiasts 400+AWHP is more than adequate and it can be had for less, from a 1.8 block that FITS.

i understand where hes coming from. i do. i admire his work hes gone through with his skills and acomplishments. i already looked into the 4-banger setup. its not quite what i want, though. when i first got into audi's someone said get a vr6, i said nah, i want the 2.7 but this dude on here had all this sick fabbed aluminum and i fell for it. no, seriously. my lady caught me in bed with pictures of his car. and i bought the 2.7, but i sat and stared at the pictures{ who needs words} and said, i can do it{ just like adam sandler}so i looked into some threads awhile back in search, one of them nycvr6's. and said, now thatd be a feat to do.

JumboBlack1.8
10-13-2010, 07:51 PM
i think i put too many deep messages in my writing.

lol

Sales@RAI
10-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Who's the haters Clint? Me telling the honest truth about something ive done?? I know your trying to sell parts, but you have to know ignorance when you see it.

By the way Clint, the card i received from Anthony after my accident, i remember it had your name listed as one of the people who posted concerns.. I really appreciate the thoughts and prayers bro.

haha I was being sarcastic. Shit, I built a 1.8T and tell people not to now. No one understands the time and $$ it takes. I couldnt even imagine doing a VR6, pretty sure Id do a V8 before it. Anyway, no sweat man I'm glad you pulled through. Knowing how big you are, I'm surprised you didn't make the explosion your bitch [up] haha. How's recovery going?

oh and my car is in the final stages of actually being done. I have a few buddies with 10 second B5s too, we should all hit up Etown when im back home in the Dirty

terraflata
10-13-2010, 11:36 PM
haha I was being sarcastic. Shit, I built a 1.8T and tell people not to now. No one understands the time and $$ it takes.

Nothing could be closer to the truth. It`s one thing after another, and at the end, barely anything original is left.

Haenszel20v
10-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Amazing.

shokwav09, are you by chance a Juggalo?

shokwav09
10-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Amazing.

shokwav09, are you by chance a Juggalo?

thems fightin werds you son-a-beetch. to hades with icp. show some respect.

silverman
10-14-2010, 09:10 AM
I can not stand ICP...

BlkBullitt
10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
thems fightin werds you son-a-beetch. to hades with icp. show some respect.

Sorry, but can someone translate this into English?

NYCVR6
10-14-2010, 12:16 PM
haha I was being sarcastic. Shit, I built a 1.8T and tell people not to now. No one understands the time and $$ it takes. I couldnt even imagine doing a VR6, pretty sure Id do a V8 before it. Anyway, no sweat man I'm glad you pulled through. Knowing how big you are, I'm surprised you didn't make the explosion your bitch [up] haha. How's recovery going?

oh and my car is in the final stages of actually being done. I have a few buddies with 10 second B5s too, we should all hit up Etown when im back home in the Dirty

I figured you were being sarcastic, but you threw me for a loop haha.. The surgeons in the trauma unit said that if i wasnt in the physical shape i was in, i would be dead no question.. So in some ways, i did make the explosion my bitch... Hell it knocked down my cinder block and brick garage for good, it only took me out temporarily.. My recovery is going real well, Im back up to my normal weight and almost there conditioning wise. Have a couple small surgeries left to remove some debris from my hand and close a hole in my ear drum, but otherwise i really cant complain.. I feel im back to about 90%, and considering it happened 4 months ago about, im real happy with the progress..
Definitely let me know when youre back in the area and going to the track, ill come meet you guys.. I should have my car back together real soon..

smoker
10-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Don't worry man, your underground racing scene and SRT knowledge will get you there

best sarcasm ever

shokwav09
10-14-2010, 06:02 PM
best sarcasm ever

god. why doesnt anybody take me cereal!!

Haenszel20v
10-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Because there's 400 of you in every moderate/large city, and none of them should EVER be taken seriously.

chris164935
10-14-2010, 08:43 PM
LOL!

shokwav09
10-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Because there's 400 of you in every moderate/large city, and none of them should EVER be taken seriously.

im not quite sure what it is you think i am. so lets not get too carried away.

shokwav09
10-28-2018, 01:47 PM
a few months after this i went homeless. i was going through my old posts because i remembered how bad i wanted to accomplish this build. i lacked the proper motivation to support my sons mother and it resulted in support being so high and led to so much frustration i lost my job of eight years at the time. i was homeless for seven months until the mechanic bought me a ticket to come back to missouri after i remember i was on my last leg on my knees crying out to god to keep me in my sons life. this post began right when it all started crashing. no pun intended. god answered my prayer the next day when my best friend at the time called after a half year and asked where i was. my mother was paying my cell phone bill in case something happened. two days after he called i was back in missouri sleeping on my sisters basement floor for a year and a half. vehicless, using her jeep, and getting took in the pocket because of an unfair system until a church helped me with a pro bono lawyer who stabilized me so i could move a bit further. eventually my ex got caught from an undercover buying an ozee of meth on video. then a possession with my son in the car on a quarter g.
it all began because she confessed to me about her stepfather abusing her sexually for years into our relationship. after i went to confront him, out of fear she asked me not to say anything. so i digressed and buckled. when i shouldve said something. eventually in turned into constant fighting and our separation. the stepfather went into icu for a month. i almost killed him in self defense.
if the one witness testimony from the neighbor hadnt been there id be doing 15 right now. never seeing my son grow. before all of this i still tried to kill myself by eating a brown recluse. i wasnt planning on coming back. right when i went to swallow it a miracle occurred.

nyc- you were right, i didnt have enough experience. you were all right in your observation. i wasnt ready. and god proved me to myself who i needed to become. i mayve never gotten to do my dreambuild. but god built me into a better dream. because he had mercy on me. because he loved me. loved my son. and he loves all of you. wether you believe in him or not. i highly suggest if youre not saved by the sacrifice of jesus{yhwh}. you better start accepting him soon. or at least give it a shot.

my path now put me into the position to where i could buy another audi. because i do love them. i learned to drive in one. but now, since my son asked me if hed get to drive i told him id make sure. so i bought an s4 for him. of course im going to drive it. had it not been for god. idve never made it this far.
so i apologize for the offenses ive created. and i know its been years since this thread had any heat. but jesus is real. his love is real. heaven is real. and car parts are real. this is a small bit of a testimony everyone. so dont waste a second waiting. because youre still going to get to drive until you die.