PDA

View Full Version : What additional mods with APR ECU upgrade?

bigACA4
10-03-2010, 09:46 AM
I know that you can't run a K04 with the APR chip so I would like to know what else I can run with the APR chip and stock K03 turbo. [:D]

h4robkr123
10-03-2010, 10:16 AM
What are you trying to ask? What do you mean by asking what you can run?

bigACA4
10-03-2010, 10:23 AM
What are you trying to ask? What do you mean by asking what you can run?

Sorry, I meant what other mods can I add to the car with the APR chip?

AudiNFS
10-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I'd say 3" DP. Bigger manifold. Boost gauge if you don't have one. just some options

h4robkr123
10-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Well you already have the borla. So DV, test pipe of HFC depending on what you want to do. You can do an inatke, but it will just give you more sound out of your turbo, and without a proper heatshield will actually reduce power. You can also do an FMIC, but it is not required.

bigACA4
10-03-2010, 10:53 AM
so it looks like there isnt really much I can do to add. a k04 with a giac chip and all of those supporting mods seems like too much work and money so it looks like ill think about the APR chip, DV and maybe the turbo inlet hose

thanks for the help guys.

bigACA4
10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd say 3" DP. Bigger manifold. Boost gauge if you don't have one. just some options

ill look into the manifold and boost gauges, not to mention the gauges look pretty badass.

alsabti3
10-03-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_select.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=1&PEI=2&PP=a4_18t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain

walky_talky20
10-03-2010, 12:09 PM
DV is a must with a chip, period. Just factor that in. Doesn't need to be expensive, a 710n for ~$50 is all that is required. The next most "bang for your buck" thing after a chip is probably a test pipe (cat-delete pipe) or a High-Flow Catalytic Converter. That will help the turbo to spool earlier and faster. The factory cat really chokes the turbo.

As far as power mods, that is about as far as you can go without changing the turbo. Chip and test pipe/HFC. Change the intake if you want turbo blow-off noise.

Then make it handle. Shocks/springs or coilovers and some *big wheels*.

00a4
10-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I think this is the complete answer to your question: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2901711

bigACA4
10-03-2010, 01:54 PM
DV is a must with a chip, period. Just factor that in. Doesn't need to be expensive, a 710n for ~$50 is all that is required. The next most "bang for your buck" thing after a chip is probably a test pipe (cat-delete pipe) or a High-Flow Catalytic Converter. That will help the turbo to spool earlier and faster. The factory cat really chokes the turbo.

As far as power mods, that is about as far as you can go without changing the turbo. Chip and test pipe/HFC. Change the intake if you want turbo blow-off noise.

Then make it handle. Shocks/springs or coilovers and some *big wheels*.

i have a cat-back cat borla with 2.25' piping i hope thats good enough, would these things: exhaust, APR chip, DV, turbo inlet hoses, possibly a fmic in the future give me about 230hp from the stock 170hp? this could be my final decision bc it seems to be really reliable for a DD and with the APR chip you can switch between stock and chipped mode, 2 programs for 150 bucks.

bigACA4
10-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I think this is the complete answer to your question: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2901711

wow nice. thanks for all of that

walky_talky20
10-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Turbo inlet hose and a FMIC aren't going to add any power on a K03. Replacing your cat with a High flow cat or test pipe should give a noticeable improvement.

And no way will you get an APR chip for $150. That is the upgrade price to add 2 programs. The base price for an APR chip is $499. Programs 2,3, and 4 cost extra. The $150 is the upgrade price to add the "Program Switching Technology" option that gives you 2 programs.

Luckily, they are running a sale right now. $449 for 1 program or $499 for a fully loaded one with 4 programs and all the options.

I'd recommend you just pickup up a used chipped ECU on the classifieds. I got my loaded APR ecu for $300 and got to keep my old one.

bigACA4
10-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Turbo inlet hose and a FMIC aren't going to add any power on a K03. Replacing your cat with a High flow cat or test pipe should give a noticeable improvement.

And no way will you get an APR chip for $150. That is the upgrade price to add 2 programs. The base price for an APR chip is $499. Programs 2,3, and 4 cost extra. The $150 is the upgrade price to add the "Program Switching Technology" option that gives you 2 programs.

Luckily, they are running a sale right now. $449 for 1 program or $499 for a fully loaded one with 4 programs and all the options.

I'd recommend you just pickup up a used chipped ECU on the classifieds. I got my loaded APR ecu for $300 and got to keep my old one.

hahah wow thanks for clearing that up. ill see what happens, i have an APR dealer right around the block from me.