PDA

View Full Version : New to AUDI, Need MOD list advice

magnum46
10-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi there,
I've been lurking for a bit and its time to tweak the Audi.
I have a modded Volvo and I'd like to 'optimize' the Audi.

I'd like your advice on the best mods to make , bang for the buck to make the Audi ride better and go faster.

So here's some stats.
1. Its a 2000 A4 1.8T with 75K miles, ATW engine.
2. Most recent work is the timing belt, pump, etc etc. Otherwise, the car is stock.

So here are my thougts.

1. Fix the P1128 CEL. Maybe MAF, Maybe Leak.
2. Get new brakes + rotors. I am thinking AKEBONO EURO pads. I need ideas for a good rotor. Bang for the buck is important.
3. Tune up or Stage zero. Is there a list of things I should replace? Coils? Plugs? Ignition Wires? Silicon Hoses? Control Arm? Whatever usually needs a replacing.
4. Need a chip + drop in turbo + exhaust. I do not intend to go any bigger than a drop in turbo. What is the most reliable and sensible combo out there? Bang for the buck is important. I would not want to spend $2000 on a Borla exhaust. I would spend $300 on a SS 3" Turboback. I would not spend $2000 for a chip that will take the next spaceship to Mars. Just need a better tune to optimize the new turbo + exhaust.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your input, it will help me get started so much faster.
Part list + source would be very much appreciated.

Luke

wesleyfbm
10-02-2010, 06:56 AM
s4 brakes
coilovers
2871 turbo
unitronic tune

just search and you should find everything

Papa Stone
10-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Plan your upgrades. For Example: flash.. If your going to get a flash for your ko3 and then upgrade to a bigger turbo, get one that can be upgraded that way you just pay for the upgrade, and not for a entire flash. Eurodyne has flashes for ko3 as BT in your car (also Uni has them, but is more expensive)
My recommendation, plan your upgrades.. wesley has a good set up for this (as stated)..

bigACA4
10-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Plan your upgrades. For Example: flash.. If your going to get a flash for your ko3 and then upgrade to a bigger turbo, get one that can be upgraded that way you just pay for the upgrade, and not for a entire flash. Eurodyne has flashes for ko3 as BT in your car (also Uni has them, but is more expensive)
My recommendation, plan your upgrades.. wesley has a good set up for this (as stated)..

Plan out the cost too because its gonna be quite a bit. I put up a similiar thread a few days ago and this is what ive been hearing alot:

-APR Chip
-Ko4 turbo
-FMIC
-Turbo inlet hose
-diverter valve
- suspension(coilovers)
ive also been told that CAI arent as efficient with cars that are turbo but if you are looking for an intake i heard Carbonio is pretty good. [a4]

bigACA4
10-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Hahahahaha btw a Borla isnt 2000 i got mine for 600 on autoanything.com and its amazing i love it. Its not loud and ricy its great

magnum46
10-02-2010, 08:05 AM
thanks all,

I think the APR + K04 is the combo here.
Seeing that I will not get a bigger turbo, I will not spend the extra $$ for a Uni that is multi-flashable.

Here's my thought on the rest

1. S4 - I gotta look into these. Are they bigger rotors? Or the whole shebang with calipers and all? I don;t want to upgrade the wheels, so it has to fit my OEM 16"
2. Coilovers - gonna skip these, not tracking the A4. The ride , IMO on the A4 is plenty good already. So I think I will leave this mod section alone for now.
3. FMIC - I think OEM will handle the Ko4 sufficiently, so no need to upgrade this.

What does the DV do for the ride?
What does the Turbo Inlet do?
Are these both just upgrade to better parts than OEM or are they are true power gainer?

Thanks again, I appreciate your experience with the Audi

Luke

magnum46
10-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Hahahahaha btw a Borla isnt 2000 i got mine for 600 on autoanything.com and its amazing i love it. Its not loud and ricy its great

600 is pretty darn good price, I have to look into it.
I was just making the point that some folks spend it all on looks , and I am the modder that prefers to spend on performance.
600 for a high performance free flow pipe is a good deal. I am gonna check in on it.

btw, what do people run? 2.75" or 3" with an A4?

Luke

bigACA4
10-02-2010, 08:18 AM
The DV and the Turbo Inlet are really just "supporting mods" just as the fmic is. Someone on here has mentioned to me that a chip + K04 + exhaust system really woke his car up.

As for the size of the plumbing ive been seeing 2.5' alot.

ADNpro
10-02-2010, 08:31 AM
For the brakes get some Adams rotors. Lots of different combos and they look really good.
Heard really good things about them.

magnum46
10-02-2010, 09:09 AM
For the brakes get some Adams rotors. Lots of different combos and they look really good.
Heard really good things about them.

Do they stop better? Last longer?

ADNpro
10-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I honestly cant say since I don't own them. But everyone raves about them so they must be good!

http://www.adamsrotors.com/
check them out for yourself.

Mjan1992
10-02-2010, 10:39 AM
zimmerman rotors are generally good as well but idk about how much you wanna spend

magnum46
10-02-2010, 11:16 AM
zimmerman rotors are generally good as well but idk about how much you wanna spend

I have to stay practical with my mods.
Seeing that the car is only going to K04, I do not need rotors to uber outperform.
I believe that there is diminishing returns after a certain point of spend.

So, Bang for the buck is what I am after.
Let's say, if I would spend 50 for decent rotors, but an extra 10 would get me significant gains in longevity or stopping power, I would def go for it.
I do not care what brand they are.

So let me know what makes a good practical rotor upgrade.

Thanks

LT

magnum46
10-02-2010, 11:21 AM

hey, i checked out the exhaust.
Says its a cat back only.

Would a turbo back with a proper mandrel bent down pipe work better by reducing restriction?

Can you tell me if that makes any sense for an Audi?

Peter1.8t
10-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Get A8 front rotors a4 rears from adams rotors $350
TT carriers $120ish
and some nice brake pads, I run pbr ultimate ceramics on mine.

As far as exhaust goes, 2.5" is enough flow for about 300whp. For that kind of power your gonna be looking at turbo larger than a k04. On my car I have a neuspeed cat back which is 2.75" and I plan on taking my cat out and running a test pipe.

magnum46
10-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Get A8 front rotors a4 rears from adams rotors $350
TT carriers $120ish
and some nice brake pads, I run pbr ultimate ceramics on mine.

As far as exhaust goes, 2.5" is enough flow for about 300whp. For that kind of power your gonna be looking at turbo larger than a k04. On my car I have a neuspeed cat back whch is 2.75" and I plan on taking my cat out and running a test pipe.

Thanks for explaining the exhaust.
2.5 is big enough and I'll stay with it.
What is OEM size? Do I need a turbo back?

Adam's rotors are pricey. I will have to research if they make a difference.

Thanks for the advice

nunya
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM
thanks all,

I think the APR + K04 is the combo here.
Seeing that I will not get a bigger turbo, I will not spend the extra $$ for a Uni that is multi-flashable.

Here's my thought on the rest

1. S4 - I gotta look into these. Are they bigger rotors? Or the whole shebang with calipers and all? I don;t want to upgrade the wheels, so it has to fit my OEM 16"
2. Coilovers - gonna skip these, not tracking the A4. The ride , IMO on the A4 is plenty good already. So I think I will leave this mod section alone for now.
3. FMIC - I think OEM will handle the Ko4 sufficiently, so no need to upgrade this.

What does the DV do for the ride?
What does the Turbo Inlet do?
Are these both just upgrade to better parts than OEM or are they are true power gainer?

Thanks again, I appreciate your experience with the Audi

Luke

People are giving you bad info. APR doesnt make a tune that works with the K04 for our car, also APR doesnt offer a easy upgrade path. S4 brakes hardly just bolt up, you need the uprights and maybe axles. I would do some quite a bit more searching. You could get away with a 710n diverter with a k03/k04 setup.

magnum46
10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
People are giving you bad info. APR doesnt make a tune that works with the K04 for our car, also APR doesnt offer a easy upgrade path. S4 brakes hardly just bolt up, you need the uprights and maybe axles. I would do some quite a bit more searching. You could get away with a 710n diverter with a k03/k04 setup.

I'll be sure to look into it.
Thanks

Papa Stone
10-02-2010, 12:36 PM
See, my set up is
440 cc with a eurodyne
PSI, manifold with the tdo5 16g (lines and everything downpipe, they actually are working on this kit.)
FMIC
should get around 300whp.. The good thing about Uni and Eurodyne is that they sell tunes for the injectors, that way you can upgrade little by little without having to move from company to company, You should look into a clutch (my case a stage III )
I run the Bilstein set up.. but my roads are terrible, so is you can run Coilovers.
In the braking department, ecs has some nice packages.. you might want to look into that..

Peter1.8t
10-02-2010, 12:48 PM
We probably should have asked what kind of power do you want to be making?

magnum46
10-02-2010, 05:06 PM
We probably should have asked what kind of power do you want to be making?

I have no idea myself. I would like to optimize OEM , that is my goal.
I hear that you can install a drop in Turbo , this upgrade path is the least intrusive.
Anything other than the drop in turbo, i am looking at improving brakes, fmic, bigger injectors , etc etc.. = more headches.

So I think, a drop in + tune + exhaust + better brakes.
Suspension, BBK, rims, cai, bov .. all those are secondary and for now, 'nice to have' in my books.

thanks

bigACA4
10-02-2010, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=nunya;5739341]People are giving you bad info. APR doesnt make a tune that works with the K04 for our car, also APR doesnt offer a easy upgrade path. S4 brakes hardly just bolt up, you need the uprights and maybe axles. I would do some quite a bit more searching. You could get away with a 710n diverter with a k03/k04 setup.[/QUOTE/]

why wouldnt an APR ECU upgrade work with a K04? (not questioning your knowledge, just wondering.)

h4robkr123
10-03-2010, 06:43 AM
[QUOTE=nunya;5739341]People are giving you bad info. APR doesnt make a tune that works with the K04 for our car, also APR doesnt offer a easy upgrade path. S4 brakes hardly just bolt up, you need the uprights and maybe axles. I would do some quite a bit more searching. You could get away with a 710n diverter with a k03/k04 setup.[/QUOTE/]

why wouldnt an APR ECU upgrade work with a K04? (not questioning your knowledge, just wondering.)

Because the tunes are written for a k03, not a k04. They will work but will not optimize the performance of the turbo.

And OP, you're "drop in turbo" will need more supporting mods. A k04 will need a small IC unless you want to get heatsoak incredibly easy. Also depending on the tune you will need to upgrade injectors, fpr etc.

adam's rotors
10-04-2010, 10:54 AM
we're not that pricey at all...
your set-up only runs $300 f&r, silver zinc dipped, custom machined to order with 10 options, and shipping included...

have a look at our site or thread first!
thanks
-a