PDA

View Full Version : trans noise.

A4edwin
09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
car is making a weird sound under acceleration. sounds like when a wheel bearing is going bad but it's not the wheel bearings. it only make the sound under acceleration and either stops or gets really quiet while coasting any idea's on what it could be sounds like it coming from the tranny.

Scotty@Advanced
09-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Does it happen in a specific gear?
Does it change with road speed? Engine speed?
Does it change if you put slight pressure on the gearshift?

quattro004
09-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Does it happen in a specific gear?
Does it change with road speed? Engine speed?
Does it change if you put slight pressure on the gearshift?

Mine makes a whine as well when accelerating or decelerating when in gear, does change slightly if I put pressure on the shifter while driving. Been trying to figure out exactly what it is for months.

Car has 224xxx miles and I have changed the diff fluid twice in the last 100k, last time was about a year ago.

A4edwin
09-30-2010, 08:46 AM
it happens in all gears. get louder the faster i go. and it makes the noise as soon as i touch the gas. weird only under load

Scotty@Advanced
09-30-2010, 09:12 AM
It's one of the following:

Ring and pinion
Differential bearings (front or rear)
Bearing on the output shaft of gearbox
Prop shaft bearing or CV joints
Wheel bearing (will get louder or softer as you load on side of the car turning a corner)
Chipped/galled gear teeth on gears that are mechanically linked to the output shaft.

A4edwin
09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks Scott I'll have to get it to a tranny shop I know for a fact it's not the wheel bearings or the cv joint.

ThatA4T
09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
same problem but mines really only bad in first... as i speed up it goies away and i dont notice it in any other gears... any ideas? i know my clutch is bad and thats getting replaced soon im just wondering what else i need to look for when i do my clutch

quattro_mds
09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
This happened to me this morning, Mine feels like a wheel bearing, under load it gets louder. I have an appointment to take it into the shop tomorrow.

ThatA4T
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
mines more of a grinding... only in first gear and is very bad when i acceelerate, then when i let off it kinda bounces back and forth from gringing to not grinding haha very odd problem

somebody5788
09-30-2010, 01:52 PM
mines more of a grinding... only in first gear and is very bad when i acceelerate, then when i let off it kinda bounces back and forth from gringing to not grinding haha very odd problem

Pretty common. Your first gear is physically damaged