PDA

View Full Version : HELP - intense coolant leak

coreelements
09-25-2010, 09:44 PM
I have a really bad coolant leak and I have found where it is coming from above the AC compressor a line that is pouring out of. looks like the line is metal and rubber. Where the rubber joins into the metal part of the line the coolant is flowing out. Anyone know what line this is and hobw I would go about fixing it...finding the part may be a challenge?

adam.wilber
09-25-2010, 09:57 PM
it may be coming from the turbo. follow the line to the best of your ability and see where it comes from and goes to

coreelements
09-26-2010, 07:42 PM
You are correct Adam, it goes to the turbo. I traced the line from engine block to turbo. It has a Banjo bolt holding the metal line end to the turbo and clamp holding the rubber end to the block. Looks like it needs replacing ...trued to patch it just so I could drive it temparary but would not holed. Now I know what it is called and found it in my diagram called the coolant supply line.

coreelements
09-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Anyone replace this item befor ...unable to tell if it has a connector at the metal to rubber transition but if it does might be eisier to change other wise it does not look fun...

Euromike
09-26-2010, 07:44 PM
125 bucks at ECS i believe.

Euromike
09-26-2010, 07:44 PM
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Cooling/Hoses/ES261106/

coreelements
09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks ...that looks the right one. Seems to be expensive to me for a hose..
I looked this over tonight and I think I will have to take the bumber/service grill off and maybe take the turbo off? Any one done this before?

nunya
09-27-2010, 10:04 PM
You can just buy a banjo push lock fitting and some push lock hose. Its should be around 30 bucks.

Something like this but barbed.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Catalog%20Images/Fittings/ATP-FTG-004_450.jpg

Does anyone know the size of the stock banjo?

--dillon

coreelements
10-06-2010, 07:11 PM
That is a great idea Dillon! If I could replace the crappy hoses with maybe some nice braided ones....

I have a good view of my turbo now and I think it is leaking oil into the air chamber as the fins are all black and some oil came from the intake when I pulled the hose off. Does this mean it is shot?
I am looking at a upgrade since I most likley will have to replace it. I found a decent priced kit on ebay but not sure what mods I woul have to do to get this working? Any input?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vw-gti-audi-a3-a4-1-8t-t3t4-turbo-kit-MK3-MK4-FRESHIP-/320597898283?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa51fb42b

walky_talky20
10-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Some oil in the intake track and compressor housing is completely normal. A teaspoon of oil out of the turbo outlet pipe is the usual. The PCV system dumps right into the turbo inlet pipe, so you will have oil all through the intake track. More as the car ages due to increased blow-by. If the turbo seals fail it will be a lot more oil. Enough to make your exhaust smoky. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

.Mad Hatter.
10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
You are correct Adam, it goes to the turbo. I traced the line from engine block to turbo. It has a Banjo bolt holding the metal line end to the turbo and clamp holding the rubber end to the block. Looks like it needs replacing ...trued to patch it just so I could drive it temparary but would not holed. Now I know what it is called and found it in my diagram called the coolant supply line.

just to clarify, the line from the turbo to the block is the return line. the supply line goes from the upper rad hose to the turbo.

.Mad Hatter.
10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
for lines i would go here:

http://www.psiconcepts.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=177

nunya
10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
for lines i would go here:

http://www.psiconcepts.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=177

You really dont need SS braided for all of this. Its a nice to have but not necessary, especially for coolant.

--dillon

.Mad Hatter.
10-06-2010, 09:43 PM
the rubber one costs almost the same at ECS...

coreelements
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Some oil in the intake track and compressor housing is completely normal. A teaspoon of oil out of the turbo outlet pipe is the usual. The PCV system dumps right into the turbo inlet pipe, so you will have oil all through the intake track. More as the car ages due to increased blow-by. If the turbo seals fail it will be a lot more oil. Enough to make your exhaust smoky. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

That makes sense bout the PCV connected to the inlet and some oil traveling from the crank case but it seems to be 3-4 teaspoons and I do have smokey exhaust...
On another note I have to pretty much take the turbo off due to a busted turbo coolant feed line so I am goib to examine it closer as this would be a good time to replace...

nunya
10-06-2010, 09:50 PM
the rubber one costs almost the same at ECS...

The rubber ones at ECS are OEM. You can do much better then that cost wise with some push lock and banjo bolts.

--dillon

coreelements
10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
just to clarify, the line from the turbo to the block is the return line. the supply line goes from the upper rad hose to the turbo.

thanks for the correction Mad Hatter and now that i am deeper in to taking it off i see this.

coreelements
10-06-2010, 09:58 PM
That is a great idea Dillon! If I could replace the crappy hoses with maybe some nice braided ones....

I have a good view of my turbo now and I think it is leaking oil into the air chamber as the fins are all black and some oil came from the intake when I pulled the hose off. Does this mean it is shot?
I am looking at a upgrade since I most likley will have to replace it. I found a decent priced kit on ebay but not sure what mods I woul have to do to get this working? Any input?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vw-gti-audi-a3-a4-1-8t-t3t4-turbo-kit-MK3-MK4-FRESHIP-/320597898283?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa51fb42b

What do you all think about the turbo from ebay in this link? looks like it is almost a match replacement with little or no mods to get it in as my guess...

walky_talky20
10-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Wow, that is some cheap chinese crap there. Don't buy that. Also, even if it did bolt up and fit (which it won't), you would need a lot of mods to make it work. Like a new tune, injectors, downpipe, turbo piping, intercooler, etc, etc, etc.

It won't bolt up because that chinese manifold is actually designed for a transverse car (jetta, a3, tt, gti, etc) not a longitudinal a4.

But you could always buy it and try, there is a 7 day money back... (j/k, lol).