PDA

View Full Version : They are selling me B5 with 65k miles '98 1 owner?

expandable
09-25-2010, 10:58 AM
A guy bought it in '98 and except for cosmetic things on the exterior paint i dont see anything alarming. What should I keep an eye on for, what are the main problems of this year and model. BTW i got a B6 so Im pretty familiar with the tech stuff lol

thanks guys

btw the guy is asking for $4500

99blueb5
09-25-2010, 11:23 AM
timing belt done? inner and outter cv boost leaking/torn? airbag light on? make sure the "65k" is original and no one swaped the cluster on it, the normal any kind of leaks..oil, coolant, tranny fluid. make sure everything works. also what motor does it have in it? if its the 1.8 make sure oil changes were done regualarly beacause they are notorius for there sludge issues, central locking pumps will take a dump along with abs modules, if you have a vag-com cable you can do a full system scan. wastegates on the turbos shit out and will cause a no boost situation, ask him why hes selling it so cheap

expandable
09-25-2010, 11:31 AM
its original miles and owner..checked by carfax and i saw documentation. also its not the 1.8 its the v6 2.8

OldRed90
09-25-2010, 05:46 PM
its original miles and owner..checked by carfax and i saw documentation. also its not the 1.8 its the v6 2.8

Like the guy above said, check normal maintenance stuff, as well as normal wear items.

The 2.8 is fairly reliable, mine has about 180,000 on it, and runs great. I got it for free, and it needed about $2000.00 worth of stuff done before it was good. Biggest problems were suspension related...control arms, bushings, struts, springs. And a timing belt. If it hasn't been done, make sure you get it done.

The only real quirk I've had with mine has been a wonky sunroof, otherwise, she'd been great.

I'd say if it's had regular maintenance, and it's not leaking anything, I'd go for it..at 65,000 miles, it's still a baby!