PDA

View Full Version : induction tube collapsing

travisA
09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
so my stock induction hose collapsed grenading my old k04. ive replaced the k04, put a samco induction hose, and front mount intercooler kit on my a4 and the samco induction hose is now collapsing. anyone have any ideas? i just want to drive my audi again

hercfe
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
APR or neuspeed. samco is becoming junk these days. or you could fab one yourself for less than 25 bux out of aluminized steel.

somebody5788
09-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Change your air filter. Problem solved. I mean that's pretty much the only reason for it to collapse is if it's not getting enough flow.

Euromike
09-23-2010, 12:23 PM
are you running any kind of intake setup?

if not, what somebody said.

travisA
09-25-2010, 10:42 PM
I have a samco induction hose and a brand new air filter. I even tried to leave the top of the air box off to see if it was a filter problem but it still collapses even if the air box is taken completely off and the mass air is in the induction hose.

gmx
09-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Change your air filter. Problem solved. I mean that's pretty much the only reason for it to collapse is if it's not getting enough flow.

Is it just me or is anybody else 'WTFing' at this guys comments?

That is NOT the only reason. The most common reason is due to the silicone walls being so weak and prone to *gasp* COLLAPSING. [rolleyes]
Look no further than hercfe's post. Someone who knows what his talking about.

travisA
09-25-2010, 11:43 PM
So basically just replace my samco hose with something else that's not silicone? I was just curious why I drove for 4.5 months with a k04 just fine then all of a sudden my induction hose starts collapsing. Could there be anything else causing it to collapse? Something causing my turbo to Pull in air faster than normal?

SurferForever
09-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Have you put any new stickers on your car lately? If you have, dont forget to get tuned for them....

2001A4QUATTRO
09-26-2010, 12:50 PM
APR is reinforced with steel coils. Not sure on the nuespeed, the samco is just silicone I believe. Upgrade time!

APR or neuspeed. samco is becoming junk these days. or you could fab one yourself for less than 25 bux out of aluminized steel.

travisA
09-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanx guys. I'll get back to you with an update when I get the new hose

nunya
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
The only time this happened to me is when i was using an HKS shallow filter 70mm with an 034 custom inlet hose, it was collapsing under boost. We changed it to an AEM dryflow.

--dillon

somebody5788
09-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Is it just me or is anybody else 'WTFing' at this guys comments?

That is NOT the only reason. The most common reason is due to the silicone walls being so weak and prone to *gasp* COLLAPSING. [rolleyes]
Look no further than hercfe's post. Someone who knows what his talking about.

Hmm I'm sorry that I talk from my years of experience growing up in a shop......... This comment of mine was based on the assumption that he had a good product. The possibility of it being a bad inlet was already addressed so why don't you hold your ignorant comments.

I've seen a bad air filter do this time and time again. The fact that his does this with out the airbox attached tells me there is probably another problem as there should be almost no vacuum to collapse it.

And you will see that most of the comments here agree with me...... what'ya know

Do the 1.8's use a screen in front of the MAF? If so I'd inspect it for debris as well.

malanca
09-26-2010, 01:38 PM
+1 for the APR. Very tough hose which sure will not collapse.

djwimbo
09-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Have you put any new stickers on your car lately? If you have, dont forget to get tuned for them....

this

2001A4QUATTRO
09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
^^^ LOL

gmx
09-27-2010, 05:43 AM
Hmm I'm sorry that I talk from my years of experience growing up in a shop......... This comment of mine was based on the assumption that he had a good product. The possibility of it being a bad inlet was already addressed so why don't you hold your ignorant comments.

I've seen a bad air filter do this time and time again. The fact that his does this with out the airbox attached tells me there is probably another problem as there should be almost no vacuum to collapse it.

And you will see that most of the comments here agree with me...... what'ya know

Do the 1.8's use a screen in front of the MAF? If so I'd inspect it for debris as well.

You're a fucking idiot. I do not give 2 shits if you are a tech and have experienced bullshit without properly diagnosing incidents.
Go re-read your post. Read it ten times if you have to, to understand how much of an idiotic blanket statement you made effectively contradicting and nullifying hercfe's original sound advice.

And you really shouldn't talk, maybe fix up all the people (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/388336-Supercharger-tune-rant.......?p=5704660&viewfull=1#post5704660)you've ripped off.

somebody5788
09-27-2010, 06:52 AM
You're a fucking idiot. I do not give 2 shits if you are a tech and have experienced bullshit without properly diagnosing incidents.
Go re-read your post. Read it ten times if you have to, to understand how much of an idiotic blanket statement you made effectively contradicting and nullifying hercfe's original sound advice.

And you really shouldn't talk, maybe fix up all the people (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/388336-Supercharger-tune-rant.......?p=5704660&viewfull=1#post5704660)you've ripped off.

Ripped off? WTF are you talking about??

Maybe you should read the OP's post first. He says "my stock induction hose collapsed grenading my old k04" Well lets see, he replaced it and he has the same problem. Hmmm why would he have the same problem 2 times? Granted a bad product COULD be the problem however when you look at things logically from a diagnostics point of view you cannot just assume this and when you factor in that this was a pre existing problem you have to move onto other possibilities. What causes the pipe to collapse? Vacuum. What causes vacuum? Restriction of flow. Air filter is the first obvious possibility, but OP says he replaced that so I'd have to say that it may be an obstruction in the MAF.

I'd prefer to not have to type out my diagnostic reasoning for every post.

/fucking idiot's point of view