PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about a job inside the fuel tank.

Polski
09-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Hello guys, i've been procrastinating this issue for a year now.
The bottom line is that the fuel pump tore off from its nesting at the bottom of the tank.
I would like to glue it back, research points me to using silicone.

This picture should explain a bit

http://i53.tinypic.com/2uj5xed.jpg

Picture might not be very clear, i'm sorry for that.

My question is, where do i apply the silicone so that I don't clog/block any of the fuel-pump's suction flow?

This is not a common problem, but any help is appreciated!
Maybe other options other than silicone?

Thanks

99blueb5
09-23-2010, 07:26 AM
if its separated then i definitely wouldn't suggest using any type of glue or epoxy, you would need something that is resistant to gasoline and good luck not getting any inside the pump itself, i would suggest looking for a used assembly in the classifieds instead of doing another band-aid fix that will most likely fail down the road

Scotty@Advanced
09-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Hello guys, i've been procrastinating this issue for a year now.
The bottom line is that the fuel pump tore off from its nesting at the bottom of the tank.
I would like to glue it back, research points me to using silicone.

This picture should explain a bit

http://i53.tinypic.com/2uj5xed.jpg

Picture might not be very clear, i'm sorry for that.

My question is, where do i apply the silicone so that I don't clog/block any of the fuel-pump's suction flow?

This is not a common problem, but any help is appreciated!
Maybe other options other than silicone?

Thanks

I view the image...

How did it tear off? the fuel pump is held in place by a cradle that snaps into a plastic baffle assembly which IIRC is bolted to the tank. If the baffle assembly is busted you will need to replace the fuel tank, and if the fuel pump cradle is busted, that comes with a new fuel pump.

Any adhesive is going to be dissolved by the fuel inside the tank, and then it will clog up your injectors and fuel pump, so silicone, epoxy, etc is not going to work. If you are dead set on a repair it will have to be via mechanical means, safety wire, bolts, screws etc.

Polski
09-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the advice on not using glue..that will def save me future problems if it dissolves in the fuel.
I bought the car like this, so my guess is that some kind of major collision caused it to snap off.

Scotty thanks for explaining on how the fuel pump holds in the tank,
the fuel pump cradle is still attached to the fuel tank, it just cracked off from the rest of the pump.
(So the pump floats around freely, this is an issue when i have about 1/4 tank left because the car chokes on inclines/red lights etc. Not to mention the fuel meter does not read well.)
Is it hard to un-snap that cradle from the gaz tank?

Maybe i can take both pieces out of the fuel pump and try to re-assemble them together by mechanical means...The pump is still good, would be a waist to change it out just because of a fractured bottom.