PDA

View Full Version : B5 S4 front brakes on B5 A4

Just Quaff
09-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey all, I understand everyone says that the front B5 S4 brakes cannot be installed on the B5 A4...easily anyway. I feel like I have read almost all the threads on this conversion, but I am adamant about getting them on the car. I recently obtained B5 S4 calipers and rotors and I am really pushing to have these installed. From what the technicians are saying at Audi, I will most likely need to purchase S4 hubs and bearing housing assembly??? That is what I was told from the techs but I am wondering if anyone at all has actually done this conversion and what additional parts I will need to make this work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

somebody5788
09-20-2010, 03:25 PM
You need the spindles IIRC unless your 01.5 then its a bolt on.

They are not that great though. I feel like my A8 Zimmerman rotors, TT carriers, and ceramic pads are = or > S4 brakes.

biketsai
09-20-2010, 05:26 PM
I just did it on my 2001, You just need the uprights.

DeanUW
09-20-2010, 10:09 PM
I just did it on my 2001, You just need the uprights.

What uprights did you use, do you mind specifying for OP,

Were they B5 A4 FWD V6's? Or S4's? And how much?

DeanUW
09-20-2010, 10:29 PM

They are not that great though. I feel like my A8 Zimmerman rotors, TT carriers, and ceramic pads are = or > S4 brakes.

In my opinion the b5 s4 upgrade is actually a great upgrade for stopping power for the price! Not sure if when you say "They are not that great" if that's from experience or not but I believe they are a great upgrade. I'm speaking from a bit of experience (on my 3rd set up calipers/ brakes).

In my opinion the upgrade you have is a good one for the money as well but you essentially only have larger rotors which moves your clamping force further from your axle which doesn't increase clamping pressure but allows the calipers to work less.

Most people upgrading to any brakes are most likely using ceramic pads (including Just Quaff's case) so his setup would have ceramics, larger rotors, and 2 pot calipers vs the 1 pot stockers. Not only do they have double the pistons but they have separate pads per piston to spread the clamping force and reduce braking temps.

Not knocking your setup or anything but just saying from my experience and in my opinion the B5 S4's are a great upgrade, especially with the EBC ceramic pads and EBC rotors (you didn't know he had that as well)

Anyone else on here have experience putting these brakes on a 01 b5 a4???

Cheapest way to make them fit?

Sean, call the audi junkyard and check on b5 s4 axles maybe? or I believe B5 A4 V6 FWD axles. Maybe just the uprights like Biketsai said too????

biketsai
09-20-2010, 10:30 PM
I used S4 uprights for both sides on my 2001. Got them both on here for $175 shipped. They bolted right up to the new uprights.Also make sure your wheels can fit the giant caliper.

Edit: Assuming you are a 2001, your current axles will fit in the S4 uprights. There are MANY threads covering it just to double check.

DeanUW
09-20-2010, 10:37 PM
I used S4 uprights for both sides on my 2001. Got them both on here for $175 shipped. They bolted right up to the new uprights.Also make sure your wheels can fit the giant caliper.

Edit: Assuming you are a 2001, your current axles will fit in the S4 uprights. There are MANY threads covering it just to double check.

Is it all 01's or just 01.5's?

Sean, while u were over we should have lifted your car, popped off a wheel and just tested them real quick!

Thanks Biketsai, I'm B5 illiterate :-)

hope it's all 01's!

biketsai
09-20-2010, 10:53 PM
It includes all 01's.

voteforpedro
09-21-2010, 01:23 AM
They're so cheap I say if you have the uprights already, go for it. You can regularly pick up everything you need (calipers, carriers, pads, discs) for not very much at all and they will provide some benefit over the 288mm setup.

Personally I would grab some TT carriers and get some 312mm discs but the carriers are hella expensive, at least in the UK anyway.

Gaberossi
09-21-2010, 05:06 AM
i have a 99.5 a4 would i be able to do install s4 brakes on my audi? since u guys say only the 01.5's are bolt on.. sorry for the thread jack OP

somebody5788
09-21-2010, 05:41 AM
In my opinion the b5 s4 upgrade is actually a great upgrade for stopping power for the price! Not sure if when you say "They are not that great" if that's from experience or not but I believe they are a great upgrade. I'm speaking from a bit of experience (on my 3rd set up calipers/ brakes).

In my opinion the upgrade you have is a good one for the money as well but you essentially only have larger rotors which moves your clamping force further from your axle which doesn't increase clamping pressure but allows the calipers to work less.

Most people upgrading to any brakes are most likely using ceramic pads (including Just Quaff's case) so his setup would have ceramics, larger rotors, and 2 pot calipers vs the 1 pot stockers. Not only do they have double the pistons but they have separate pads per piston to spread the clamping force and reduce braking temps.

Not knocking your setup or anything but just saying from my experience and in my opinion the B5 S4's are a great upgrade, especially with the EBC ceramic pads and EBC rotors (you didn't know he had that as well)

Anyone else on here have experience putting these brakes on a 01 b5 a4???

Cheapest way to make them fit?

Sean, call the audi junkyard and check on b5 s4 axles maybe? or I believe B5 A4 V6 FWD axles. Maybe just the uprights like Biketsai said too????

The S4 brakes are bulky. They don't fit behind most wheels (and thats because they stick out not due to rotor size) the 4 pad idea is not a good one, and as far as heat and clamping force mine has more then enough. My ABS is currently broken and even with my wide 235 tires it's a little too easy to lock up the front brakes. The ATE calipers these cars have stock are actually more clamping force then the size of this car needs in the first place as they are used on plenty of other applications much larger then an A4 and are still efficient. So with my setup I get to fit any wheel 16"-20", I can use stock pads, over heating is no longer a problem with the drilled Zimmerman rotors, and I get a nice firm petal with the stainless brake lines. Not to mention rebuilding the front calipers is 20 bux a side. I mean this is just my opinion from a mechanics point of view. I'd much rather work on my A8 setup then an S4.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/somebody5788/42984e4c.jpg?t=1285072728

To fit the S4 brakes you need the S4 uprights (I called it a spindle but upright is more correct for this car) They are aluminum on the S4 IIRC and obviously have different mounting points for the calipers. I was under the impression that the control arms for the S4 uprights were not the same though.

.Mad Hatter.
09-21-2010, 06:17 AM
CA's should be identical, they are sold as A4/S4.

Since we are on the subject; Since you can bolt B6 S4 fronts onto a B5 S4, if one were to upgrade to B5 S4 uprights could you then upgrade to B6 S4 front brakes?

somebody5788
09-21-2010, 07:46 AM

Since we are on the subject; Since you can bolt B6 S4 fronts onto a B5 S4, if one were to upgrade to B5 S4 uprights could you then upgrade to B6 S4 front brakes?

Now that would be worth it!

DeanUW
09-21-2010, 11:39 AM
The S4 brakes are bulky. They don't fit behind most wheels (and thats because they stick out not due to rotor size) the 4 pad idea is not a good one, and as far as heat and clamping force mine has more then enough. My ABS is currently broken and even with my wide 235 tires it's a little too easy to lock up the front brakes. The ATE calipers these cars have stock are actually more clamping force then the size of this car needs in the first place as they are used on plenty of other applications much larger then an A4 and are still efficient. So with my setup I get to fit any wheel 16"-20", I can use stock pads, over heating is no longer a problem with the drilled Zimmerman rotors, and I get a nice firm petal with the stainless brake lines. Not to mention rebuilding the front calipers is 20 bux a side. I mean this is just my opinion from a mechanics point of view. I'd much rather work on my A8 setup then an S4.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/somebody5788/42984e4c.jpg?t=1285072728

To fit the S4 brakes you need the S4 uprights (I called it a spindle but upright is more correct for this car) They are aluminum on the S4 IIRC and obviously have different mounting points for the calipers. I was under the impression that the control arms for the S4 uprights were not the same though.

His wheels will clear. Besides performance, the other plus to the b5 s4 IMO over the upgraded rotors only, is the looks. To me this looks better than stock calipers and bigger rotors [:)]

http://deanophotography.com/Audizine/car1c9-19-09.jpg

BlkBullitt
09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Almost all of this information has been posted in this thread, but just so it's all in one post...

To swap to front B5 S4 calipers and rotors you need the following...

1. B5 S4 Front Brake Calipers (w/ Carriers)
2. B5 S4 Front Brake Rotors
3. B5 S4 Front Brake Pads
4. B5 S4 or B6 A4 Front Suspension Uprights (aka Spindles)

However, there can potentially be more...

1. If you picked up either B5 S4 Front Suspension Uprights that are Cast Iron you're fine, however, if you picked up either B5 S4 Front Suspension Uprights that are Aluminum or B6 Front Suspension Uprights you will also need 4 new Front Lower Control Arms (they have different taper sizes on their ball joints than the ones for Cast Iron Front Suspension Uprights).

2. If your car is a 2.8l V6 or a 2001 1.8t you're fine, but if not you will need new Front Axles and new Front Axle Bolts from either a B5 2.8l V6 or 2001 1.8t (the S4, V6 A4s, and 2001 1.8ts all have 82mm Front Axle Hubs where as the pre-2001 1.8ts had 75mm Front Axle Hubs).

So, between all of the B5 cars there are 4 different Front Suspension Uprights...
1. Pre 2001 1.8t - Cast Iron - 75mm Cast Iron Upright Bearing - A4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Cast Iron Lower Control Arms
2. 2.8l V6 & 2001 1.8t - Cast Iron - 82mm Cast Iron Upright Bearing - A4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Cast Iron Lower Control Arms
3. S4 - Aluminum - 82mm Aluminum Upright Bearing - S4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Aluminum Lower Control Arms
4. S4 - Cast Iron - 82mm Cast Iron Upright Bearing - S4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Cast Iron Lower Control Arms

and a 5th possible one if you want to include the B6 A4 Front Suspension Upright...
5. B6 A4 - Aluminum - 82mm Aluminum Upright Bearing - B5 S4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Aluminum Lower Control Arms

I hope that helps.

BlkBullitt
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Actually, if you upgrade to the S4 Front Suspension Uprights, you would be better off upgrading to 6 Piston or 4 Piston VW Touareg or Porsche Cayenne calipers with a matching rotor like the S4 owners are doing currently. I would consider this to be one of the (if not the biggest) advantages of swapping to the B5 S4 Front Suspension Uprights.

plynch
09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
on that note pm me on the B6 A4 aluminum uprights, have some avail.

DeanUW
09-21-2010, 12:21 PM
How much can he expect to pay for other options listed?

The reason the OP is asking about the B5 S4's is because he has obtained a set of calipers, EBC rotors, and EBC red pads for $200. The rotors and pads alone are about $400 if I recall correctly

thedudesA4
09-21-2010, 05:26 PM

I agree

walky_talky20
09-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Great info in this thread.

I agree with somebody5788. Working in a shop, I've seen that the B5 S4/C5 A6 2.7T HP2 caliper setup is problematic for many. Uneven pad wear in the 8 pad setup is very common. They seem to warp rotors like it's their job, and the rotors/pads are more expensive anyway. Also, the center slider boots on the HP2's are actually impossible to get. It just isn't available. If it's ripped, just grease it up and hope it lasts. Not to say they don't have amazing stopping power, they just aren't the most trouble-free design from a Daily Driver perspective. Pair that with wheel clearance issues, and I'm liking the A8 setup a lot better. If you're gonna go through all this, the Toureg/Cayenne caliper setup is probably a better option. Just my opinion.

That said, if you got 'em for cheap, throw 'em on.

Just Quaff
09-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Almost all of this information has been posted in this thread, but just so it's all in one post...

1. If you picked up either B5 S4 Front Suspension Uprights that are Cast Iron you're fine, however, if you picked up either B5 S4 Front Suspension Uprights that are Aluminum or B6 Front Suspension Uprights you will also need 4 new Front Lower Control Arms (they have different taper sizes on their ball joints than the ones for Cast Iron Front Suspension Uprights).

2. If your car is a 2.8l V6 or a 2001 1.8t you're fine, but if not you will need new Front Axles and new Front Axle Bolts from either a B5 2.8l V6 or 2001 1.8t (the S4, V6 A4s, and 2001 1.8ts all have 82mm Front Axle Hubs where as the pre-2001 1.8ts had 75mm Front Axle Hubs).

So, between all of the B5 cars there are 4 different Front Suspension Uprights...
1. Pre 2001 1.8t - Cast Iron - 75mm Cast Iron Upright Bearing - A4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Cast Iron Lower Control Arms
2. 2.8l V6 & 2001 1.8t - Cast Iron - 82mm Cast Iron Upright Bearing - A4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Cast Iron Lower Control Arms
3. S4 - Aluminum - 82mm Aluminum Upright Bearing - S4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Aluminum Lower Control Arms
4. S4 - Cast Iron - 82mm Cast Iron Upright Bearing - S4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Cast Iron Lower Control Arms

and a 5th possible one if you want to include the B6 A4 Front Suspension Upright...
5. B6 A4 - Aluminum - 82mm Aluminum Upright Bearing - B5 S4 Brake Caliper Carrier Mount - Aluminum Lower Control Arms

I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info. I have all the calipers, rotors and pads. Sounds like I just need the uprights (spindles). I have wheels that will be large enough to clear the brakes so space wont be an issue. You mentioned cast iron vs aluminum spindles. I will be attempting to get those because I really want this setup to work. If my B5 is a 2001, will I be ok getting the aluminum uprights or will I still need to locate cast iron versions?? (If this makes a difference, I just recently did the Meyle HD 14 piece CA kit... Tits upgrade FWI!!)

Plynch: PM sent

ian52
09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
The s4 brakes are much better! Do it.

gmx
09-25-2010, 11:30 PM

I hope that helps.

When using B6 Uprights:
B6 shocks are different from B5 obviously, correct?
So you need to account that B6 lower front CAs are also different in that they have a different shock bolt length & crushtube. Easy fix though.
See pic:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/audimad/TQS/100_6813.jpg
Another thing to note, it lowers your car by about 1/2", which won't be much of a problem with you guys on coilovers.

One more thing, for the internationals who visit this forum you should probably edit your 'all B5s' to All US Spec B5s.
Most(facelift, 99.5+) EU/UK Spec 1.8TQs already have V6 front hubs/correct axle splines for the uprights. Dead giveaway is the wheel bearing PN. It's the same as the V6.

Rabbitracr
09-26-2010, 10:47 PM
If anyone is looking for a set of the TT caliper carriers let me know. I just happen to have a set. I was going to do the TT upgrade on my Old GTI but toraled the car before hand. Just message me if you are intersted. rabbitracr@aol.com. Good thread though Im doing this exact convirsion as we speak pluss adding the rear vented disks as well.

voteforpedro
09-27-2010, 05:01 AM
One more thing, for the internationals who visit this forum you should probably edit your 'all B5s' to All US Spec B5s.
Most(facelift, 99.5+) EU/UK Spec 1.8TQs already have V6 front hubs/correct axle splines for the uprights. Dead giveaway is the wheel bearing PN. It's the same as the V6.

afaik the EU 1.8TQS has the S4 aluminium uprights anyway,

gmx
09-27-2010, 05:36 AM
afaik the EU 1.8TQS has the S4 aluminium uprights anyway,

If they did then what would be stopping them bolting on S4 brakes? It has always been an uprights issue (more specifically caliper spacing, which is different on the ATE/Lucas calipers).

You're on audi-sport.uk aren't you? Search there, this has been covered in detail there a few times.

ian52
09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
No alloy uprights here other that some s4's.

lostroot1
06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
sorry to bring up an old thread.. but i have an issue.. I was doing this on my car and i have everything i need.. the B6 aluminum upright,all control arms, wheel bearing, abs sensor,calipers, and rotors... one small issue is the axle.. I grabbed some axles from the B5 s4 and i was going to take the outer joint off and put it on my axle assembly since i have the smaller outer joint.. but it wont work. my shaft is too small for the s4 joint.. I cannot use the whole s4 axle because the inner joint is also the smaller flange. what do i need to do...what axles do i need to source to pull the shaft out of or the joints off... my car is a 99 (early) 1.8t quattro a4 avant manual.

Cgoon009
06-05-2014, 09:20 AM
iirc you would need a 2.8 V6 a4 Axle.

Cgoon009
06-05-2014, 09:20 AM
It bolts to the 5 speed but has the required 82mm outer joint.

bhusted
06-05-2014, 09:29 AM

What he said.

GrapeBandit
06-05-2014, 09:43 AM
a8 front brakes for the win.

MetalMan
06-05-2014, 10:13 AM

*Quattro axle.

All B5 FWD axles have the larger inner joint (108mm vs 100mm), same as S4 inner joints. In fact the 2001 1.8T FWD manual axle is the same as a B5 S4 manual axle.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4--2.7T/Drivetrain/Axles/ES2226007/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4--2.7T/Drivetrain/Axles/ES2576147/
I don't know about 2.8 axles, though... thought the FWD 2.8 axle would be the same as a S4 axle but ECS isn't showing that.

nynoah
06-05-2014, 11:01 AM
sorry to bring up an old thread.. but i have an issue.. I was doing this on my car and i have everything i need.. the B6 aluminum upright,all control arms, wheel bearing, abs sensor,calipers, and rotors... one small issue is the axle.. I grabbed some axles from the B5 s4 and i was going to take the outer joint off and put it on my axle assembly since i have the smaller outer joint.. but it wont work. my shaft is too small for the s4 joint.. I cannot use the whole s4 axle because the inner joint is also the smaller flange. what do i need to do...what axles do i need to source to pull the shaft out of or the joints off... my car is a 99 (early) 1.8t quattro a4 avant manual.

NO NO NO NO

You can not use the b6 uprights. You need B5 S4 uprights

Cgoon009
06-05-2014, 11:06 AM
*Quattro axle.

All B5 FWD axles have the larger inner joint (108mm vs 100mm), same as S4 inner joints. In fact the 2001 1.8T FWD manual axle is the same as a B5 S4 manual axle.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4--2.7T/Drivetrain/Axles/ES2226007/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4--2.7T/Drivetrain/Axles/ES2576147/
I don't know about 2.8 axles, though... thought the FWD 2.8 axle would be the same as a S4 axle but ECS isn't showing that.

Ahh yes good catch, FWD is always so different,

also wasn't sure about B6 uprights, but I though S4 brakes bolted to those?

nynoah
06-05-2014, 11:10 AM
And B6 is different from b5. Bolt pattern for the caliper only matters for the calipers. You have to think about all the other mounting points... which will not work.

Cgoon009
06-05-2014, 11:34 AM
And B6 is different from b5. Bolt pattern for the caliper only matters for the calipers. You have to think about all the other mounting points... which will not work.

Ahh right, you can take B6 brakes but not the upright. That's what it was, cool welllll OP sounds like you will have to sell your uprights.

walky_talky20
06-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Why would the B6 uprights not work on a B5? It is my understanding that there a few small differences, all of which can be worked around:

- Lower Front (straight) control arm ball joint has a different taper (Solution: use early B5S4 control arm, part number:4B3407151K, or use B6 A4 control arm and adapter explained in post #23 of this thread)
- B5 A4 brakes will not bolt up (Solution: Use B5 S4 brakes, or B6 A4 brakes, or compatible aftermarket big brakes)
- Car will be 1/2" lower (Solution: spin up your coilovers, use 2001+ spring perches, or enjoy it)
- AEB and ATW outer CV joints will not work (Solution: Use V6 or 2001 AWM axles).

Is there some other problem to be aware of?

lostroot1
06-07-2014, 08:50 PM

The b6 ones work just like the s4.. Just need to change one of the lower control arms... Which I have done.. Only thing I can't figure out is the axles. I have several axles with the outer joint is 82mm hub.. But my Quattro is a early 99 1.8t and the inner is 100mm flange.. I cannot put the larger uter joint on this axle because the shaft is too small of a diameter.. I don't know if it's because it aftermarket or what.. I just need to know which cars have the 100mm inner joint and a 82mm outer... Or which ones have the 100mm inner joint flange but a larger spline to be able to put on my s4/v6 joints

gmx
06-08-2014, 08:13 AM
NO NO NO NO

You can not use the b6 uprights. You need B5 S4 uprights

I am using B6 uprights & B8 A4/5 brakes (same as B8 S4, just on a B5 S4 320mm disc).
tyvm [:D]

Use the lower control arm PN walky mentioned or buy control arm kit specifically for B5 RS4.

lostroot1... buy axles intended for use with V6 2.8 M/Ts. AHA or ATQ.
Spline count is different IIRC, so you cannot simply swap outer CV

walky_talky20
06-08-2014, 08:31 AM
^Yes.

100mm inners are equipped on ALL 5-speed quattro cars. And 82mm outers are equipped on all V6 cars. So you simply need axles from a V6 5-speed quattro car. Must be V6, must be 5-speed manual, must be quattro. The one and only exception is 2001 (AWM) 1.8T 5-speed Quattro axles, which are the exact same part number.

And a 3rd option for the front, lower control arm when going to B6 uprights is to use a B6 A4 control arm, then press out the "narrow" B6 shock bushing and press in the "wide" B5 version:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-FWD-1.8T/Suspension/Bushings/ES2091129/

Mad Cow
06-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Is it just the front lower ball joint that's different? I thought it was both lowers that had to be changed.

bhusted
06-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Just the front lower arm is different.

lostroot1
06-08-2014, 01:55 PM
I am using B6 uprights & B8 A4/5 brakes (same as B8 S4, just on a B5 S4 320mm disc).
tyvm [:D]

Use the lower control arm PN walky mentioned or buy control arm kit specifically for B5 RS4.

lostroot1... buy axles intended for use with V6 2.8 M/Ts. AHA or ATQ.
Spline count is different IIRC, so you cannot simply swap outer CV

Ok so I need the 2.8 axles. What years? They will have the 100mm inner flange and the outer joint will be the 82mm right? No swapping of joints?

walky_talky20
06-08-2014, 03:14 PM
B5, V6, 5-speed manual, Quattro.

Check all of those boxes and you will have the correct axles.

5-speed Quattro means 100mm inners in all cases (for b5 in North America). V6 means 82mm outers in all cases (for b5 North America). Match both and you're gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lostroot1
06-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Word up.. 2.8 v6 right? Not the 2.7.. Would the c5 a6 ones work? Or passat? Thanks a bunch

walky_talky20
06-08-2014, 08:35 PM
- Word up, indeed.

- 2.8 is the V6 available for B5 A4's in the US market, yes.

- 2.7 was not available with a 5-speed manual.

- C5 is a wider chassis, so the axle length will be incorrect. Also 5-speed C5's did not exist in the US market. So there's that.

- Passat axles will work. Provided it fits the previously given specifications: B5 chassis, V6 engine, 5-speed manual trans, quattro (aka: "4 motion"). Notably, B5.5 models are excluded as they no longer used the 100mm inner joints after 2001.5.

lostroot1
06-09-2014, 06:05 AM
awesome.. I'm ordering the axles from a 2000 audi a4 2.8 v6 later today... unless i need to order another year..

walky_talky20
06-09-2014, 06:10 AM
That's an excellent year. Light and Oaky with a hint of Apple.

2000 A4 2.8 quattro is the car that fessed up it's axles for my 5MT swap.

lostroot1
06-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Well... Did all the work today... New everything. Went to mount my new 19" 3sdm .06 and they don't fit..... I have to run 20mm spacers at least to run these. No way! They are et42 8.5". I feel like I just found out Santa doesn't exist... [headbang]

walky_talky20
06-10-2014, 09:02 PM
B5 S4 brakes are very demanding on wheel fitment. Not so much the diameter - even 16's will fit - but spoke clearance is the issue. The wheels have to be nearly convex, or spaced out quite far.

AudiholicA4
06-11-2014, 12:10 AM
so if you already have a 2.8 quattro 5 speed
all this is really what you need?

Sent from my iPhone device

gmx
06-11-2014, 12:10 AM
I would try and ditch the HP2s and pick up some brakes from B7/8 A4/A5 or B6/7/8 S4/S5.
Ax will let you get away with current discs.

walky_talky20
06-11-2014, 06:29 AM
so if you already have a 2.8 quattro 5 speed
all this is really what you need?

Sent from my iPhone device

Yes, with a qualifier on #4. If the uprights you get are of aluminum construction (and not steel), then you need to change the lower front control arm as well. You can use C5 (A6/Allroad) uprights, too.

3 bar
06-12-2014, 04:54 AM
Don't forget the ATE rotors and brakes found on the O2-03 C5 2.7t Audi A6s, they will bolt on as well. I have a set going on my passat SW. Got S4 brakes on my 99.5 A4.

walky_talky20
06-12-2014, 07:51 AM
^Yep. Those ATE brakes are less problematic, too.

lostroot1
06-16-2014, 08:17 AM
So the c5 a6 calipers are thinner? Can still use everything else?

pee quu
06-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Also you can use B7 a4 calipers if you wanted. use the same b5 s4 rotor and they seem to have better wheel fitmemt and from what I can see and what I have been told they seem to work a little better

Eurotrash Audi
09-10-2016, 05:02 AM
What about a 98? Possible?

Eurotrash Audi
09-10-2016, 05:04 AM
what about a 98 auto? Possible?

Bordom
09-10-2016, 06:13 AM
What about a 98? Possible?

what about a 98 auto? Possible?
For which brakes?

Everything graciously mispelled by Android

Eurotrash Audi
09-10-2016, 09:12 AM
For which brakes?

The stock s4 brake setup

Bordom
09-10-2016, 10:16 AM
The stock s4 brake setup
Look up a few posts and you'll see what's required

BlazinB5
11-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Great info in this thread.

I agree with somebody5788. Working in a shop, I've seen that the B5 S4/C5 A6 2.7T HP2 caliper setup is problematic for many. Uneven pad wear in the 8 pad setup is very common. They seem to warp rotors like it's their job, and the rotors/pads are more expensive anyway. Also, the center slider boots on the HP2's are actually impossible to get. It just isn't available. If it's ripped, just grease it up and hope it lasts. Not to say they don't have amazing stopping power, they just aren't the most trouble-free design from a Daily Driver perspective. Pair that with wheel clearance issues, and I'm liking the A8 setup a lot better. If you're gonna go through all this, the Toureg/Cayenne caliper setup is probably a better option. Just my opinion.

That said, if you got 'em for cheap, throw 'em on.
Just to verify, but are the center slider boots seriously impossible to get? I feel like this doesn't make sense, considering how many cars are running around with the HP2 setup.

olebg
05-15-2018, 01:28 AM
Hi guys. Can anyone tell me the oem numbers for the axles that are required for the S4 setup. My car is '99 US 1.8T AEB quattro.

grmnmusl
05-15-2018, 05:01 AM
I do believe you need 2.8/2.7 T axles to fit the bearing/uprights. You may have to get them built as 1.8T output on trans side is smaller than 2.8/2.7T.

So essentially 2.8/2.7T spindle side and 1.8T trans side depending on year.
Just go to local auto store and pick one side for a B5 S4 and B5 a.8T and see...

Try Hawk pad/Akebono Euro or other good pad, TT Carrier and and A8 rotor setup and you will be more than satisfied.