PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Build-up in the S6 V10 5.2 engine

NJ_A4_Lion
08-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Have you guys had this problem? I brought i nthe car because of a CEL, the dealer tells me it's carbon build-up in one of my cylinders. The car only has 30K on the clock and I always use 93 octane from Shell. What gives? They are adding a treatment but I just don't like the sound of this and I am concerned with where this could end up...

bryzf1
09-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Well any of Audi's FSI engines are prone to carbon buildup. I have an 08 RS4 and had CEL's pop up from misfires starting at 9000 miles. I used Exxon gasoline in the car the day before the CEL was thrown and the dealer stated that I must only use Shell or Chevron and they gave me the same "cleaner" to put in the car. They did not find any carbon buildup in my car b/c they refused to even look. If they found buildup, I was under the impression that they would have to clean it b/c the cleaner will not be able to breakup all the buildup.

BTW, I haven't used Exxon gasoline since then, and I have not had any issues/CEL's/misfires.

NJ_A4_Lion
09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
If I get another CEL I am taking this thing straight to the dealer... How do you like the RS4? I am thinking RS5 already...

Well any of Audi's FSI engines are prone to carbon buildup. I have an 08 RS4 and had CEL's pop up from misfires starting at 9000 miles. I used Exxon gasoline in the car the day before the CEL was thrown and the dealer stated that I must only use Shell or Chevron and they gave me the same "cleaner" to put in the car. They did not find any carbon buildup in my car b/c they refused to even look. If they found buildup, I was under the impression that they would have to clean it b/c the cleaner will not be able to breakup all the buildup.

BTW, I haven't used Exxon gasoline since then, and I have not had any issues/CEL's/misfires.

JPJ2007
09-17-2010, 01:36 AM
It's already been said, All FSI engines have this problem since the fuel is Directly injected into the cyl rather than before. So instead of the fuel always passing over the valves and cleaning
them, nothing is so carbon just builds up. Only solution if a B&G treatment every 15,000 miles I think it is. At dealer, About 150? Not sure. Mine has 123,000 miles and I've had it for 40k and no problems. "knocks on wood"

Off topic: Upgrading from the 06 3.2 to the S6, Does it make the 3.2 feel like a snail? lol
(I've got the 06 3.2 fsi)

NJ_A4_Lion
09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the A6 does feel slow compared to the S6. The A6 can move but the S6 gets up and goes...

It's already been said, All FSI engines have this problem since the fuel is Directly injected into the cyl rather than before. So instead of the fuel always passing over the valves and cleaning
them, nothing is so carbon just builds up. Only solution if a B&G treatment every 15,000 miles I think it is. At dealer, About 150? Not sure. Mine has 123,000 miles and I've had it for 40k and no problems. "knocks on wood"

Off topic: Upgrading from the 06 3.2 to the S6, Does it make the 3.2 feel like a snail? lol
(I've got the 06 3.2 fsi)

bryzf1
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
If I get another CEL I am taking this thing straight to the dealer... How do you like the RS4? I am thinking RS5 already...

I enjoy the RS4, but I decided to replace it with a new A6 Avant. I just need more room and it is just no longer practical for what I need.

I hear you on the RS5... I'm anxious to see that when it hits the states. I am very tempted to pick one up in a few years.

ThirdStrike
09-22-2010, 12:12 PM

You will likely have the same issue with an RS4/5.. same engine in both.. FSI
Honestly from the research i've done w/these direct injection engines the best way to handle the build up problem is regular 'Italian' tune-ups [:D]

NJ_A4_Lion
12-21-2010, 08:10 AM
What guys do you guys use? I was told by a local mechanic (central NJ) that I should only use Exxon/Mobil. He said that Shell, Veleo etc., are coming from the same distribution center... What are your thoughts?

B5Volksdragon
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
my tail pipes look pretty black. That might suggest that a lot of carbon is coming out. Im guessing thats a good sign. Correct me if im wrong

Quattro_2.7tt
12-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes either carbon or its running rich. Make sure you warm the engine up before you start giving it lots of throttle. (Im sure you know this already)

Sox6
12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
It would be interesting to note what some contributing factors to this issue might be:

Do all of the Audi v10's have this issue? Would there be any reason that the S8 and R8 guys wouldn't be having this problem - if so, why not?

Does ethanol based fuel have any additional adverse effects? I know that in high efficiency marine motors it is almost mandatory anymore to use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil blue to avoid problems with the motors - could that be the case with our engines. Would we benefit from using pure gas, or stabilizing ethanol based fuels?

Are the guys that have had a tune done experiencing this issue more or less than non-tuned cars?

I know we are all kind of grasping for answers, but it would be nice to see some kind of patterns emerge and figure out if there is anything we can do differently to avoid decarbing our motors every 15k miles.

JPJ2007
12-30-2010, 10:42 PM
It's going to take some time for Audi to own up to paying for the maintenance related to the fsi build up.
Today, 12 years later I'm just getting a class action lawsuit paper saying Audi is paying for the Sludge problems related to my Old 98 A4 1.8T

I have the FSI in my 06 A6. I wonder if their ever going to do anything for this problem.