PDA

View Full Version : Valve Seals, how to?

Watson
08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
I am currentyl rebuilding from my head up, and I want to change the valve seals so that everything is just back to oem. I have done everything myself to get my head off, change all the parts that I need to. I have also polished most of the intake area and cleaned out the carbon from the exhaust side. Now Im not sure how to change out the valve seals, I know it involves taking off the cams, and taking the valves/springs out with a tool but if someone could explain it and walk me through it I would appreciate it.

99blueb5
08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
you have to get a valve spring compressor, take out the retainer clips, valve washer cap, valve spring, valve and then you can get to the seals, then kinda snap in place with a spring over the seal. hardest part is getting to the retainer clips and compressing the valve at the same time

A4Rob
08-25-2010, 09:17 PM
you have to get a valve spring compressor, take out the retainer clips, valve washer cap, valve spring, valve and then you can get to the seals, then kinda snap in place with a spring over the seal. hardest part is getting to the retainer clips and compressing the valve at the same time

Audi makes a tool where you compress the valve and it holds so you can pull the keepers out without a sweat.

This kind sucks because you need to hold it down while pulling keepers. http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_VWAUDI_pg13.htm

Poopie
08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
magnets to get the keepers out and a small flat head with grease to put the keepers back in