PDA

View Full Version : help needed. another misfire problem...

toxinr
08-22-2010, 10:48 AM
after grabbing a sandwitch from subway, my car starts to misfire when i start it up. after i got home i scanned the codes and i had
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 **- Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-00 **- Intermittent

the engine is AEB btw.
the next morning i started it up again and it's still misfiring, same codes. so i swapped cp of cylinder 1 and cylinder 2. and the misfire just went away. i took a short spin around the parking lot and it started up couple more times without any misfire. so i cleared the codes and called it.
later i went for a 10 min drive to grab some giardiniera...when i start it up afterwards (water temp reached middle.) it started misfiring again. drove home and scanned, same codes as above (i'm very sure i cleared the previous one.)
so this morning i was going to swap the spark plugs but when i first start it up i got no misfiring again...and no codes...then i went on to check other stuff and forgot to look at the spark plug...
so does it sound like a worn spark plug? any advice is appreciated[:)]

geeky
08-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Its always best to go with the simple fixes first. Check your plugs for proper gapping, and since you have already tried moving around the cp's, the next stop following the plugs would be the ICM.

kf3506
08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
it should be the icm. when mine went, it misfired occasionally and then boom, completely gone and misfired like crazy.

toxinr
08-22-2010, 06:56 PM
it should be the icm. when mine went, it misfired occasionally and then boom, completely gone and misfired like crazy.

um...i looked at the spark plug..they were NGK bkr6eix looks pretty new...however there might be some build up on #1 plug tip though...it was .028 when i first checked it, but after a little bit of cleaning it gauged .030..the #2 was .030 when it came out...
then i swapped #1 to #2 and started it up. at first it was misfiring..i was waiting for the cel to come up and read the code, but it soon went away. drove my friends to school and put in some gas...everything was fine...
i guess i should be ready to do the ICM delete. [:)]