PDA

View Full Version : Belt worries....

somebody5788
08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
So today I heard this noise that sounded like really loud sparks coming from the engine. Needless to say this made me stop and take a look lol. Found that my serpentine belt was missing an entire rib on each side of it. So I replaced the belt. Here's the problem. I cannot figure out why the belt did this. I replaced it when I did my timing belt kit 30k miles ago. I inspected my timing belt as obviously I was a little worried at this point. No sign of an issue there. Anyone had to replace belts that often? 30v 2.8l

VinceDprincE
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
several things too take into consideration... wasn't tensioned properly? (loose/too tight)... rubbing against something... or just plain bad luck you got a shitty belt.

i had a shitty belt on my other car before... same as yours, didn't last too long. it was a goodyear gatorback.

somebody5788
08-20-2010, 12:08 PM
several things too take into consideration... wasn't tensioned properly? (loose/too tight)... rubbing against something... or just plain bad luck you got a shitty belt.

i had a shitty belt on my other car before... same as yours, didn't last too long. it was a goodyear gatorback.

As far as tension goes. The 30v uses a spring to tension the belt and it was replaced with the belt. No evidence of rubbing. There was a little oil leaking near it but it was by no means soaked. Had 30k miles on that belt.