PDA

View Full Version : Very Bad Coolant Leak

1127Tony
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a avery bad coolant leak coming from the front of my engine some where and I can't figure it out. This is a 99 2.8. I am going through about a gallon a day. What are some of the possibilities? I do not see coolant leaking from the radiator hoses. I have not changed my water pump yet and I know everyone says it needs to be done. Especially I have over 100k on the car, but I am not willing to do it just yet. I really could use the help considering I don't have much in the bank to pay my mechanic.

walky_talky20
08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
What about the timing belt? That needs done pronto. Do the belt and pump at the same time. The only other thing that might leak coolant up there is the rad hose connections. It is usually easy to see where it is coming from as the G12 leaves crusty pink stuff in it's wake. If it is coming from the front of the block basically, it's the water pump.

Euromike
08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
check your lower coolant hose where it plugs to the rad. Mine loved to leak there.

If you are at 100k and your timing belt has never been done, i wouldnt even drive the car another mile, its a ticking time bomb. Very dumb not to get that done pronto.

If it breaks, which it will, it will bend your valves. That will require an engine rebuild. it will cost you 4-5k

pipe7284
08-19-2010, 06:58 PM
i`m not too sure on the 2.8, but do they have a secondar or auxiliary water pump?like the 2.7t on the S4s? if they do, check for that one, it should be right undernieth the intake manifold.

walky_talky20
08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Hmm. I thought some of the 2.8 cars had an afterun coolant pump near the lower rad hose on the passenger side. Kind of situated next to the auxiliary cooling fan. That might of just been the A6's though. My memory is failing me.