PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Thermostat QUESTION..

Armenian
08-18-2010, 12:52 PM
HI,
So since my temp gauge is acting strange by not reaching the middle point and staying there after driving for a while, I decided to change the Coolant Temp Sensor, and after that didnt fix the issue i have decided to replace the Thermostat
I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t
I noticed that its sort of behind the alternator, this large tube on the driver side was in the way so i removed that to have a better access to unscrew the thermostat. i am not sure if anyone has done it this way, is it possible to just go ahead and replace it without removing the alternator and stuff?
the one negative thing is that when i was trying to unscrew the rench sort of touched the back of the alternator and caused it to spark, i assume i have to dissconnet the alternator from the battery before doing this?
any tips would be appreciated, i have never done this type of work so those of you who have please let me know the easiest way i can complete this job

Thanks a lot

Accord4tehloss!
08-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I just did this on my 01. What I did was take off the throttle body and the intake hose, then I could get the thermostat housing off with out removing the alternator, I disconnected the battery to prevent it from sparking. you will need a swivel.

Coopa
08-18-2010, 09:35 PM
You should be able to access it from the bottom side without taking anything off besides your skid plate/belly pan. It might seem like a tight squeeze but it's worth it. Make sure you have a stubby ratchet, a swivel end, and a couple different sized extensions. They should be 10mm bolt holding the thermostat flange if I recall right. It's a 15 minute job with the right tools.

walky_talky20
08-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Taking off the alternator requires at least partially removing the viscous cooling fan. That's a lot messing around. If you have a swivel, the thermostat can be done with the alternator in place. Make sure and disconnect the battery though. That wire to the alternator is *completely unfused*. If you create a dead short, it can burn your car to the ground.

bw86
08-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Don't know if its the same procedure as on an AEB, but all I did was put the car on ramps take the belly pan off and it was staring me in the face. 2 bolts and the housing is off and the thermostat is exposed. Don't forget to pick some g12 up.

thewagen
08-19-2010, 08:27 AM
You should be able to access it from the bottom side without taking anything off besides your skid plate/belly pan. It might seem like a tight squeeze but it's worth it. Make sure you have a stubby ratchet, a swivel end, and a couple different sized extensions. They should be 10mm bolt holding the thermostat flange if I recall right. It's a 15 minute job with the right tools.

this is by far the easiest way to do the thermostat. may sound dumb but make sure u put it in the right way...ive seen it done lol

Armenian
08-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the responses,

I managed to take out the big hose which is on the driver side and i was able to access the thermostat 10mm bolts and i removed them and replaced it with this new WAHLER thermostat, 87degree, ... my one concern is that it looked slightely different than the original one i took out but the part number on the box matches the part number on the thermostat i replaced so do you think this is just and updated version of it and i should be fine?
also , when i removed all the bolts my old coolant poured out of it so now its empty therefore before putting in the new mixture which would be about 1 leter of g12 coolant and 1 leter of distilled water, i was thinking about flushing out the system with water..
as far as the alternator, after the spark i decided to tape some plastic thing on top of the positive line and taped it all around to prevent me from touching the wire again..
am i doing everything accordingly or is there something that i am missing or should know?

thanks guys

biketsai
12-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Bringing this back from the dead. Can anyone with an 01' confirm that all I need to do is remove the FMIC hose? Or can it be done even without that? I am definitely trying to avoid removing the alternator.

Chris

TConklin821
12-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Good thread, I gotta do mine. The housing is behind the alternator? Does the upper radiator hose run to it?

walky_talky20
12-25-2011, 06:38 PM
The *lower* rad hose runs to it.

I haven't done this in a while, but I'm pretty sure you can get this done with the alternator in place, given the right tools (swivels and such). If you find you need more room, the alternator comes out in a few minutes.

TConklin821
12-25-2011, 06:41 PM
I wanna give it a shot.

Corrado_Guy
12-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Give it a shot, if you read the rest of the thread it is stated that you can remove the thermostat without taking anything off. If I read this correctly it means you don't have to remove anything but two bolts for the thermostat housing using the precautions listed in this thread. Have you done your timing belt yet? If you are draining the coolant then you may as well do as much as you can related to this which would include anything in the cooling system. I would consider the coolant pump (may as well do the timing belt if you have this much apart) and any seals or flanges that may be damaged or leaking. This thread is for the 06A block, if you have a ATW or AEB then it is very easy as the thermostat sits under the external coolant pump and not in the block.

RoadRage
12-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I just checked my Bentley manual and it looks like a simple job for AEB and ATW engines.

All the Bentley says is drain coolant, remove the 2 bolts holding the tstat in place, remove and replace. Add coolant.

I'm about to do this job when my tstat comes in.

Corrado_Guy
12-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I just checked my Bentley manual and it looks like a simple job for AEB and ATW engines.

All the Bentley says is drain coolant, remove the 2 bolts holding the tstat in place, remove and replace. Add coolant.

I'm about to do this job when my tstat comes in.

For the ATW and AEB it is easier because these motors are 058 blocks and the coolant pump is external but 06A has an alternator in the way so it is a little more work.

geeky
12-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Alright I just did this. I did it by removing the the TB hose from the stock SMIC, then theres a support bar that attaches to the intake manifold (held by a 7mm allen head bolt if I recall correctly). Removing the support brace and the TB hose is all that you need to remove. After removing those two pieces, you'll need a shallow 10mm swivel and a 3" extension on your 3/8 drive ratchet. Two bolts hold the tstat housing to the block, located at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. Remove those then you have straight access to the tstat/oring. Btw this is for the AWM block with the internal waterpump, not the AEB that has the external water pump. The AEB tstat is located on the bottom of the car and can be done removing the belly pan, the AWM is located in the middle of the block under the intake manifold and can NOT be done just by removing the belly pan.

A HUGE heads up though, disconnect your battery. I didn't and the extension happened to cross between the back of the alternator and the bolt and sparked, so DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY.

biketsai
12-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks

themadscientist
12-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Just a reminder, make sure you obey the torque specs for the housing. I've seen a few of them leak after someone didn't follow procedure.

shinamura
12-26-2011, 09:48 PM
just did this last week. really, it is so much easier to do it from underneath, it literally stares at you from underneath. 2 bolts and you can pull out the thermostat

geeky
12-27-2011, 01:20 AM
just did this last week. really, it is so much easier to do it from underneath, it literally stares at you from underneath. 2 bolts and you can pull out the thermostat

once again, that ONLY applies to the ATW/AEB motor, NOT to the AWM. No problem Chris. As for the torque spec, I have no idea what the torque spec is, I just tightened it using the ratchet until it was a snug fit, then a quater turn past it. When I say snug, I mean snug, not hulked down etc.