PDA

View Full Version : Have a chance to trade stock suspension for konis. Would you?

Euromike
08-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Long story short, I have a guy working on my 2.8 right now. He is selling his 1.8, and he offered to swap suspentions with me.

Specs on his car: 1.8, Koni shocks and lowering springs. Thats all i know. Suspension was on the car when he bought it.

My car: 2.8 4x4 non sport suspention. 98,000 miles on it.

Would you do it? My concerns are #1: Reliability, #2: Ride Quality, #3 Swapping suspentions from a 1.8T onto a 2.8.

Last thing i want to do is swap this over and have my car ride like shit, and have shocks blowing up in 20,000 miles. I want whatever is more reliable. But i feel like the koni's HAVE to be newer than my stock.

AWDFTW
08-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Well, it all depends on what you like. Obviously the ride quality isn't going to be as good as it is right now. And those other questions you should probably ask him. How long have they been on the car, and any other questions you have. But if you've been planning on lowering your car anyways, do it! I have the 2.8 with the non-sport suspension, lowered it on H&R sports and love it. The ride isn't too bad. Not as good as it was at first, but there's a price to pay for looking pretty!

And afaik, there is a weight difference between the 2.8 and the 1.8t, and I think you'd be a little lower than he is, but they'd still work. Don't hold me to it though, I'm new to the b5 scene :)

Good luck!

guy022077
08-18-2010, 11:05 AM
if it is me, i would go to the koni site and see if the part numbers are the same, i doubt they are. I would not put a 1.8 suspension on a 2.8, the weight characteristics of the 2.8 are accounted for in the springs and so on, i cant imagine the 2.8 would handle right with the wrong springs on it.

TheReflex79
08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Not a good idea, find something for a 2.8, big weight difference between a 1.8T. I wouldn't do it, especial for a used set-up.

CrtchRktRcr
08-18-2010, 11:18 AM
i want his suspension.

like others said.. 2.8 is much heavier so the spring rates are wrong.. it would be lowww up front though haha. I think i got scammed when i bought hr sports off a member. I put them on my car and it was the exact same height as my stock sport suspension. I think he sent me springs for a 2.8

Seerlah
08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Do it. Koni struts are not cheap by any means (Koni struts and springs of choice equal the price of some coilover units). Then you can purchase correct springs of your choice for like $200 somewhere. As far as I know, the Koni struts have the same PN for all B5s (Quattro). Springs are what are designed different. The worst thing that will happen is the front end will sit a little lower.......and maybe add a slight more bounce (which I doubt). But if that were me, I would scoop those up quick and add my own springs. Google around prices for the Koni struts, and you will see what I mean. Even Ebay prices are expensive. Konis are also known to have the best struts for our vehicles with the price range involved.

Euromike
08-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Very tempting... cant decide on what todo. Hey seerlah, What would be more reliable?

Euromike
08-18-2010, 07:47 PM
shit, koni shocks are like 200/each

ugh. such a tough decision

f15046
08-18-2010, 07:49 PM
DO IT!