PDA

View Full Version : car revs like a supercharger exiting freeway

'98-B5
08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
ok so i went ahead and did some searching to figure out why my car sounds like a supercharger sometimes when i exit the freeway and try to catch up with the local traffic. only result i found was in the b6/b7 forum which i don't think it could relate with the b5's (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/379476-Loud-whine-after-installing-cat-back-exhaust?highlight=car+revs+sound+supercharger) and he had an exhaust installed, i'm bone stock, no engine modifications done so far. whenever i come off the exit ramp and i try to keep up with the local traffic, from 1st-2nd-3rd gears, my car will rev and whine like a supercharger would. and this would go on for maybe one to two redlights, after that my car will sound normal, no more supercharger whining noise. whenever i exit the off ramp to match traffic speeds, first gear will be roughly 3,500 rpm shifting to 2 and 3,000 rpm to 3rd then i coast down the street as i'm already way ahead of traffic. this event has occured to me twice exiting the freeway and at first i assumed it was just my turbo whining, but sometimes when i turn off my headunit, the whining noise would go away the first time i hear it. any insights? TIA

petera4
08-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Are you listening to am radio? haha this is gonna sound really stupid but on a certain station it picks up the harmonics from the tires... I found this out when playing with my radio

'98-B5
08-17-2010, 09:45 PM
LOL! really? nope i have a car adapter that plugs into my ipod that uses FM channels. this only happens when i exit the freeway, i've actually drove music off on the first time i heard it, windows down, and i can only hear the supercharger whine after the 2nd stoplight. i don't ever use the radio, am or fm.

Bsix3.0
08-17-2010, 09:46 PM
sometimes power steering pumps whine like that when low on fluid

'98-B5
08-17-2010, 09:51 PM
but, why would the whining stop ? i would assume it continue if i don't fill up the reservoir, no?

edit: just did some more extensive searching now that you mentioned PS fluid leaking, i guess it wouldn't hurt to check out my PS reservoir levels, and possibly check if anything is leaking. ty sir.

Poopie
08-18-2010, 08:59 AM
maybe the g forces push the fluid to one side of the res? hahaha highly unlikely

somebody5788
08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Idk on the 1.8 but the 2.8 just kind of sounds like that in stock form. I'd check all your pulley's

'98-B5
08-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Ok, I raised my PS fluid level back up and there's no more wannabe supercharger. thanks guys! never would of thought that low PS levels would make your car sound like a supercharger ahah.