PDA

View Full Version : Car Towed on Dollies?

biketsai
08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
My car got towed today. Was towed with a truck that scoops the back wheels and then they have dollies for the fronts. Should I be worried about anything being messed up?

Chris.

Racerx220
08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
when my control arm snapped and broke my axle like 2 weeks ago thats how they towed me only problem i had was when they ripped my bumper off lol

Seerlah
08-17-2010, 01:34 PM
What happend to your car, man?

biketsai
08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Well I just moved to downtown Austin. Decided to grab a bowl of Pho with some friends and parked at the McDonalds right next to it since parking is limited and hard to find. 30 mins later I come back and the worst feeling happened as I realized it really got towed. $200 later I got it back, shitty part is that they were literally unloading it as I got to the place in my friends car. The also chipped a small nick in my wheel so I am trying to get something back through that.

Seerlah
08-17-2010, 02:11 PM
That sucks

DrkZide
08-17-2010, 02:49 PM
They towed you for parking next door for 30min?

Euromike
08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
The mcdonalds manager watched him park there and walk across the street im sure.

Then he called in the towtruck.

They can be shitheads.

terraflata
08-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I know a Tim Hortons in Montreal like that.....don't walk into the Tim Hortons and I garauntee you your car will have a tow truck working on it before you get to the other side of the street.

toxinr
08-17-2010, 05:36 PM
mine was towed with front wheel on ground. you are perfectly fine.

terraflata
08-17-2010, 07:04 PM
mine was towed with front wheel on ground. you are perfectly fine.

Actually no. If none of the wheeels are moving you're fine, if all of them are, you're fine as well, if the front wheels are moving and the back aren't you could damage your drivetrain if done for long enough. Same thing for having different rolling circumfrences between tires.

zrowcool
08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
i dont know how it is in TX, but in NY there has to be a type written request from the owner of the mcdonalds to before the car can be towed from the parking lot. The tow company has to show this to you if you request it. Its happened to me where i parked in a supermarket parking lot and they towed me. It was just the tow company that grabbed me and since there was no written request, i didnt have to pay a dime.

toxinr
08-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Actually no. If none of the wheeels are moving you're fine, if all of them are, you're fine as well, if the front wheels are moving and the back aren't you could damage your drivetrain if done for long enough. Same thing for having different rolling circumfrences between tires.

in the OP's case he's fine.
torsen diff is not limited slip, and free movement is allowed, it would just heat up the fluid, which depends on speed and distance..For me, it was 20mph for 5 miles.. so nothing too serious.. <- my understanding of torsen diff. plz correct me if i'm wrong.

somebody5788
08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
torsen diff is not limited slip, and free movement is allowed, it would just heat up the fluid, which depends on speed and distance..For me, it was 20mph for 5 miles.. so nothing too serious.. <- my understanding of torsen diff. plz correct me if i'm wrong.

Ya basically it could over heat and damage the torsen. It's not likely however the thrush washers could be damaged fairly easily (or if your lucky just become 4:1 ratio after the tow LOL)

biketsai
08-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Ya basically it could over heat and damage the torsen. It's not likely however the thrush washers could be damaged fairly easily (or if your lucky just become 4:1 ratio after the tow LOL)

Someone try it out and make a DIY [>_<]

somebody5788
08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Someone try it out and make a DIY [>_<]

It's really tempting lol

sean1.8t
08-18-2010, 06:55 PM

the book states 30 miles is fine to tow with 2 wheels on the ground