PDA

View Full Version : Difference between ATW and AWM Head?

kaban
08-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Is there a difference between a ATW head and a AWM head for the 1.8T motor? I found out the shop who installed my replacement motor used an Audi ATW bottom end and a mysterious AWM head. The car has been running good so far with no motor issues but am I looking at issues in the future?

Any help would be appreciated.

ProGP Autogroup aka Pro-Imports is not a stand up shop like they make themselves out to be, I highly recommend that you never use them.

Here is the reason why:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4804393-ProGP-Autogroup-Previously-Pro-Imports-Please-post-experiences-Good-Bad-Ugly&p=67083900#post67083900

ElonA4
08-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Can’t help you with the AWM - ATW issue(not trying to thread jack) but I have also had problems with the service I received from Pro-Imports, now ProPG Autogroup and would like to warn others as well. The shop recommended a replacement of vacuum lines and replacement of my valve cover gasket; both recommendations were warranted. I let them do the work as I did not have time with my new job and about two weeks after receiving the car I would smell burning oil at idle when sitting at intersections. I popped the hood and noticed oil seepage from the valve cover gasket they had just replaced and saw that the vacuum lines had not been replaced even though I was charged for the work and parts. When replacing the failed valve cover gasket myself a few weeks later it was clear that they did not use any RTV to seal the sharp corners as is common practice for any gasket job and recommended by Audi.

Horrible shop and shady customer service.

Scotty@Advanced
08-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Nothing the ATW and AWM head are the same head, the cams might be a bit different but i think they are the same too.

zrowcool
08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
vvt solenoid.

guy022077
08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
all 1.8t heads are interchangeable, so long as you use the cam gear from that head and not mix and match them. i have had many combos of heads and all were fine. vvt, non vvt all kinds of junk.

walky_talky20
08-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Truth. The only difference is the cam chain tensioner on the back. AWM uses a "VVT" style with an electrical solenoid on it. But if you leave it unplugged it acts the same as the ATW "non-vvt" tensioner. No big deal.

zrowcool
08-17-2010, 10:07 AM
all 1.8t heads are interchangeable, so long as you use the cam gear from that head and not mix and match them. i have had many combos of heads and all were fine. vvt, non vvt all kinds of junk.

they may be interchangeable but they are NOT the same. AEB had the large port intake, ATW and AWM are small port so the intakes/gaskets wont match up. ATW and AWM also have SAI so the combi valve is at the back of the head, while AEB didnt have it at all. AWM also has a vvt solenoid on the back of the head.

Even though they fit and can be altered to work, they are not the same. Plenty of ATW and AWM guys along with the b6 guys use the AEB head/Intake mani for the larger ports and removal of the SAI.

kaban
08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the clarification. Sounds like I should be fine but we will see.

ElonA4, if you have time file a complaint with the BBB. I have a feeling that is the reason for the name change considering nothing else changed with the company.

guy022077
08-17-2010, 11:07 AM
they may be interchangeable but they are NOT the same. AEB had the large port intake, ATW and AWM are small port so the intakes/gaskets wont match up. ATW and AWM also have SAI so the combi valve is at the back of the head, while AEB didnt have it at all. AWM also has a vvt solenoid on the back of the head.

Even though they fit and can be altered to work, they are not the same. Plenty of ATW and AWM guys along with the b6 guys use the AEB head/Intake mani for the larger ports and removal of the SAI.

this is more accurate, but i didnt say they were the same, only that they are all interchangeable. so i would not worry about them using a different head, just that they put it on correctly, sounds like that place is a little off. I dont think i would have not told a person before hand that i was not putting the original head back on their car.

Jake39454
08-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Cam gears are different

nunya
08-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Is there a difference between a ATW head and a AWM head for the 1.8T motor? I found out the shop who installed my replacement motor used an Audi ATW bottom end and a mysterious AWM head. The car has been running good so far with no motor issues but am I looking at issues in the future?

Any help would be appreciated.

ProGP Autogroup aka Pro-Imports is not a stand up shop like they make themselves out to be, I highly recommend that you never use them.

Here is the reason why:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4804393-ProGP-Autogroup-Previously-Pro-Imports-Please-post-experiences-Good-Bad-Ugly&p=67083900#post67083900

The block is different on a ATW, its a 058, same as the ndbw motors (AEB, etc). The AWM uses an 06A block from the factory. Different cranks between the two. Like the others said there is a different cam chain tensioner between the heads and some other combi valve stuff. Both heads are small port.

--dillon

--dillon