PDA

View Full Version : Turbo finally on it's way out?

pho1n1x
08-16-2010, 05:24 PM
To preface, I have a 2000 1.8t with approx 181K on the clock and what I'm pretty sure is the original turbo. I'm back on a stock ECU because my speedtuning file does not like that I moved to a state with only 91 octane. A couple of days ago, my car started making a sound that leads me to think that my turbo is finally on its way out. However, because it doesn't sound anything like any of the video clips I've seen here, I'm not 100% sure. Instead of a dentist's drill sound (or R2D2 dying for that matter), my noise sounds like a constant metal on metal rubbing and it is coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. The closest analogy I can think of is that it sounds a bit like the high-pitched jet engine whine from commercial jets sitting at idle on the tarmac. I included a link to a video I took earlier this afternoon. You can kind of hear it in the background and it seems to increase with rpms. You might have to turn the volume up to hear it properly. The only way I could capture the sound without the camera's mic being drowned out by normal engine noise was to take the video from inside the car. I just wanted to make sure that there's not the possibility of something else having awfully wrong since it didn't sound anything like any of the failed turbo clips that I've ever seen. I'm all for a long weekend of wrenching but since the closest place I can do it is a buddy's house 120 miles away, I want to be as sure as possible. TIA

Just as an aside, I am still making normal boost under load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXl0fuBF-A

Altech75
08-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I have no idea what the problem might be, but it's pretty easy to get the turbo out to inspect so that's what I would do.

walky_talky20
08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Take the TIP off and spin the turbo by hand to see how it feels. Only other thing I could think of is one of the bearing in the accessory belt system. Like a bearing the A/C compressor, alternator, or belt tensioner. It's pretty easy to take the belt off to see if the noise stops. I'd check the turbo first, though.

pho1n1x
08-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah that's what I'm going to do next as soon as possible. Unfortunately working in a carport in the late afternoon is such a pita. I'm definitely checking the turbo first but that's a good call on potential bearing failure in the accessory belt system. I'm still not sure how I will feel if it's the turbo though. Elated that I have a good solid reason to go a little bigger or sad that I get to spend more of money that I'm slowly saving up for an S5 sometime in the next few years. Ah well. I'll try to get it done tomorrow afternoon and maybe report back.

1.8beasT
08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Check the a/c compressor clutch.