PDA

View Full Version : Should I get an alignment IF

wesleyfbm
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I just replaced the wheel bearing. Remved whole hub assembly but made sure to put the lower control arm bolt with lobed washer back in the same place as removed.

Seems like a waste to spend $80 to get an alignment for 1 wheel.

Should I still get an alignment?

thewagen
08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
i would....but then again i would do it my self.

Euromike
08-16-2010, 01:32 PM
I didnt and i dont have any tire wear issues.... yet.

should be ok if you put that lobed washer back right.

thewagen
08-17-2010, 04:21 AM
if its not pulling hard to one side and your gettting a vibration i wouldnt be to worried about it. just your hand over the tire every so often if u start to feel cupping or feathering then yes get it lined up .

LDetter
08-17-2010, 05:44 AM
I would if I were you, I made sure to line that camber bolt back up when I did my wheel bearing but it still was off. Car didnt seem to pull or vibrate but I would chew through the tire I changed the wheel bearing on way faster then the others. A rear alignment should only be $30-40.

somebody5788
08-17-2010, 07:38 AM
If it has had one recently no. If it's been over a year yes. /mechanics opinion

revbjeff
08-17-2010, 07:53 AM
The way I look at it $80 alignment is better than a $100 tire + $80 alignment.

thewagen
08-17-2010, 08:32 AM
The way I look at it $80 alignment is better than a $100 tire + $80 alignment.

agreed 100 percet

walky_talky20
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Whenever you are taking suspension parts apart, it is always a good idea to measure the toe (track width on the front and rear of the axle you're working on, using the tire's tread) with a tape measure. When you get it back together, just measure it again. If it comes out the same, you can be reasonably sure that you got it as close as possible back to where it was. This works great on say, your 92 Camry, so you don't have to get an alignment after replacing the rear lateral links, tie rod ends, etc every single time. It's just not worth it on a sloppy car like that.

Now on your performance oriented German automobile which has wider and more expensive rubber, it is good idea to get the alignment. This is even more important if the car is lowered - with the added negative camber, any toe-in or out will cause very quick tie wear. It all depends, though. If your tires are almost done, it may be wise to wait it out, keep an eye on it, and get an alignment when you get new tires in a few months.

wesleyfbm
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
everything feels fine...but maybe Ill just have a rear alignment done in about a week or so.